[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4216 posts
2541 upvotes

New clients only: 2.4% interest +up to $50 in Bonuses

Deal Link:
https://www.tangerine.ca/en/landing-pag ... ff92858712

for new clients of Tangerine.ca get 2.4% interest until december 31st 2014, and get $25 bonus When you become a new Client by opening a Tangerine Savings Account, RSP Savings Account or Tax-Free Savings Account with at least $100 by December 31, 2015, we’ll give you a $25 cash Bonus**. Don’t forget to enter this Orange Key® on enrollment: Orange25

Get another $25 bonus when you set up an Automatic Savings Program (ASP) of $100 or more per month when you enroll with your Savings Account by December 31, 2015.

You can all see the announcement on the tangerine.ca homepage on the auto scrolling publicity...
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1033 posts
747 upvotes
Vancouver
How is this better than pc financial 2.6?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4216 posts
2541 upvotes
dicecube wrote:
Oct 29th, 2015 7:03 pm
One of the reason is PC Financial is not available everywhere... Especially in Qc
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1264 upvotes
dicecube wrote:
Oct 29th, 2015 7:03 pm

Well, obviously it's not better than PC Financial.

However, if you've been playing the high-interest savings account game for very long, you would know that it takes 2 or 3 accounts at different financial institutions to optimize your interest rate. When Financial Institution #1 offers a temporary high rate for "new money" you shift all of your cash to them. And then when Financial Institution #2 offers an attractive rate for "new money" you shift all of your cash to them. And when FI #3 comes along with a decent offer, you move all of your cash to them. By playing this silly game of musical chairs, it's feasible to get an average annual interest rate of perhaps 2.5% (or perhaps even a shade better).

So, if there are people out there who have funds only with PC Financial, they will not qualify for the promotional interest rates because in most cases existing balances are not included in the promotion. For those people, the Tangerine offer would be a substantial improvement for a few months and it would set them up to play the game of musical chairs with the rest of us.....
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1203 posts
523 upvotes
Ottawa
And PCF promo ends Saturday (assuming they process Saturday as Oct 31 and not Nov 2).

A reminder that QC residents can open PC Financial accounts, but you have to go there in person at some point. (Same requirement for ON residents, they have to meet you and your photo ID at least once). I helped a friend do this some years ago, though instead of doing most of it online or by phone, she just went to Ottawa for the day and did the whole thing then. I assume it's still the same situation, though I haven't asked.

=aw
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4216 posts
2541 upvotes
kneevase wrote:
Oct 29th, 2015 7:25 pm
Well, obviously it's not better than PC Financial.

However, if you've been playing the high-interest savings account game for very long, you would know that it takes 2 or 3 accounts at different financial institutions to optimize your interest rate. When Financial Institution #1 offers a temporary high rate for "new money" you shift all of your cash to them. And then when Financial Institution #2 offers an attractive rate for "new money" you shift all of your cash to them. And when FI #3 comes along with a decent offer, you move all of your cash to them. By playing this silly game of musical chairs, it's feasible to get an average annual interest rate of perhaps 2.5% (or perhaps even a shade better).

So, if there are people out there who have funds only with PC Financial, they will not qualify for the promotional interest rates because in most cases existing balances are not included in the promotion. For those people, the Tangerine offer would be a substantial improvement for a few months and it would set them up to play the game of musical chairs with the rest of us.....
+1000 and switching money electronically takes only seconds
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4216 posts
2541 upvotes
aw1883 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2015 7:27 pm
And PCF promo ends Saturday (assuming they process Saturday as Oct 31 and not Nov 2).

A reminder that QC residents can open PC Financial accounts, but you have to go there in person at some point. (Same requirement for ON residents, they have to meet you and your photo ID at least once). I helped a friend do this some years ago, though instead of doing most of it online or by phone, she just went to Ottawa for the day and did the whole thing then. I assume it's still the same situation, though I haven't asked.

=aw
Thanks (and thanked) for the advice ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8249 posts
3428 upvotes
Markham
DoorCrasher wrote:
Oct 29th, 2015 7:00 pm
https://www.tangerine.ca/en/landing-pag ... ff92858712

for new clients of Tangerine.ca get 2.4% interest until december 31st 2014, and get $25 bonus When you become a new Client by opening a Tangerine Savings Account, RSP Savings Account or Tax-Free Savings Account with at least $100 by December 31, 2015, we’ll give you a $25 cash Bonus**. Don’t forget to enter this Orange Key® on enrollment: Orange25

Get another $25 bonus when you set up an Automatic Savings Program (ASP) of $100 or more per month when you enroll with your Savings Account by December 31, 2015.

You can all see the announcement on the tangerine.ca homepage on the auto scrolling publicity...
I know we're past Oct 21st 2015... but...
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1203 posts
523 upvotes
Ottawa
[QUOTE]Thanks (and thanked) for the advice [/QUOTE]
Of course I assume any QC resident will call and confirm it's still possible, and what they need, before driving to Ottawa. I take no responsibility if the rules have changed. :)

=aw
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4216 posts
2541 upvotes
aw1883 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2015 10:48 pm
Of course I assume any QC resident will call and confirm it's still possible, and what they need, before driving to Ottawa. I take no responsibility if the rules have changed. :)

=aw
Yes, for sure, justvcall them before driving there!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4216 posts
2541 upvotes
There is also another promotion... open a Tangerine Chequing Account and you can earn $100 just for switching your payroll direct deposits and making either 1 pre-authorized payment or 2 bill payments by January 31, 2016.

this promotion is also good if you already have a saving account with them but do not have a chequing account.