Personal Finance

Tangerine Child Tax Benefit not Deposited Feb 20, 2017

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 7:46 am
Feb 19, 2017
8 posts
I am not sure all I know is that the direct deposit for child tax benefit wad supposed to go into a bunch of people's accounts today and Tangerine is the only bank who didn't process it due to a holiday that's in Ontario. I live in Bc why should it effect me and why could all other bank pay people on the and not them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
6716 posts
2138 upvotes
BC
David248 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 1:43 am
And with bills I've been told on many occasions by cell companies and my Mastercard company to make sure payments in on time if it falls over the holiday or long weekend.
Told by your MasterCard when? Recently, or decades ago, or ???

See: https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-cons ... .html#toc0

"If a payment is due on a weekend or a holiday, you can make your payment the following business day. This will count as being paid on time."
POLL: How many credit cards do you CARRY?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Nov 27, 2016
4 posts
3 upvotes
What's odd is that it went in with Scotiabank, which owns Tangerine.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
6716 posts
2138 upvotes
BC
David248 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 2:14 am
I am not sure all I know is that the direct deposit for child tax benefit wad supposed to go into a bunch of people's accounts today and Tangerine is the only bank who didn't process it due to a holiday that's in Ontario. I live in Bc why should it effect me and why could all other bank pay people on the and not them.
Banks and stock markets (in Ontario) affect the whole country lots of times even "when it's not a holiday in BC" so I'm never surprised if an ON-only holiday can affect me in BC.

Banks probably have different cutoff times for deposits to be received and processed in daily batches.

ADP payroll deposits seem to go in around 8-9pm ET the day BEFORE payday for me. Perhaps the government sent out the benefit deposits at end of day Friday, early enough to be processed by some banks but not all. Or some banks credit late-Friday deposits on the next business day while others credit it on Saturday.

If the 20th is a holiday then you can't receive a payment dated the 20th. Anyone who got it Sat. I would wonder if it was dated the 18th, the 20th, or the 21st.

Some banks might date transactions done on the weekend with the real date but I think most post-date it to the next business day, no?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Feb 19, 2017
8 posts
It's not a holiday where I live BC had its Family day on the 13th. I didn't know there was a holiday. I contacted tangerine last about the matter. Lady said the deposits were set up Friday do to the long weekend our system doesn't turn over till 12 am Monday. Everyother bank either paid earlier or today even Scotia. All mist all the banks have their main branch in Ontario. I just feel like someone dropped the ball or the extra day of those funds circulating in in there system was beneficial.

If I goto my account on revenue Canada site and see the payment it says it's been processed that it's been direct deposited to everyone's account on the 20th. Every person with a different bank regardless where they were located got it holiday or not. Accept clients of Tangerine. I understand the holiday thing but same time I don't have a holiday so why should I get effected by it. Revenue Canada was open in Ontario today because they had to service the rest of Canadians who did not have a holiday. It wasn't a federal holiday also so they wouldn't close. Even revenue Canada was like your in BC why are you not getting it.but what ever best go through and see if any other deposit dates are on long weekends
Feb 19, 2017
8 posts
Definitely not a decade ago I would if been 17 lol it was about 2 years ago.
I ended up paying it off and getting rid of the card completely because of other reasons. I never knew about this though so I'm glad I learned something today.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
6716 posts
2138 upvotes
BC
ace604 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 3:08 am
Nov. 20th was a Sunday. What day did it get deposited then?
To answer my own question ... they appear to adjust the payment date for weekends ...

All payment* dates

July 20, 2016
August 19, 2016
September 20, 2016
October 20, 2016
November 18, 2016
December 13, 2016
January 20, 2017
February 20, 2017
March 20, 2017
April 20, 2017
May 19, 2017
June 20, 2017
* Haven't received your payment?
Wait 5 working days from the payment date to contact us.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/bnfts-pymnts-eng.html

I guess Tangerine is small enough to give ON Family Day off to their main employees and computers :)
Feb 19, 2017
8 posts
With Tangerine I am not sure I had it still going into my Scotia account and that one came that Friday. I assume by the reaction of everyone this has not happened before.
Feb 19, 2017
8 posts
I'm nor to sure. They were definitely answering there calls like any other day.
It's great if that's what the case was but looking at it from a business point in a area where you want clients and their money to be with them, they should have thought about like large company and realized not all their customer have a holiday.

If they want to think so small maybe don't expand and stay small in the end it's basically Scotia bank so definitely a ball dropped somewhere. Their Facebook page definitely had pepole throwing every problem that they have had before. Definitely some entertainment over there.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
1013 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto, ON
David248 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 2:14 am
Tangerine is based in Ontario, which is probably why this problem occurred.

It's the next day. Do people have their money yet?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1391 posts
341 upvotes
Winnipeg
FoFai2015 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 8:30 am
Tangerine is based in Ontario, which is probably why this problem occurred.

It's the next day. Do people have their money yet?
Based on comments on the Facebook page... It appears not yet.

Also many other banks like PC Financial/CIBC are based in Ontario and they got deposits dated Feb 20th on Saturday the 18th.

Credit Unions in Manitoba (it was a holiday here) got their money Monday morning.... And Scotiabank (parent company of Tangerine) got their money yesterday morning.

It was only Tangerine who couldn't get it right it appears.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve. This will help eliminate the need to quote their whole post to say "thanks" or "+1' which just clutters up the whole thread*
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
1013 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Shawguy wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 8:59 am
It was only Tangerine who couldn't get it right it appears.
I'm not denying that, I just think BC residents were affected because Tangerine is based in Ontario.

So the 21st and still no pay?
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1821 posts
184 upvotes
Not sure why people are up in arms about a tax benefit being a day or two late.
If anyone is dependent on social income to pay their dues, then they really need to figure the priorities in their lives. Hanging on social media and complaining about it should not be one of them.
May 17, 2012
606 posts
188 upvotes
HILLSBURGH
came into tangerine account today the 21st.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel