• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 7:46 am
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1255 posts
229 upvotes
esoxhntr wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 11:37 am
came into tangerine account today the 21st.
Same here. 1 day late into Alterna Bank, Feb. 21 instead of 20th.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3815 upvotes
BC
Ha, so not just Tangerine.

Seems to me it's the government's fault for not treating the 20th as a holiday and properly scheduling the payment for Friday the 17th like they do early any other time it's a Sat/Sun.

Some banks processed it 'early' on the weekend, others didn't.

"Blame Canada!"
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1129 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Shawguy wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 8:59 am
Based on comments on the Facebook page... It appears not yet.
I looked on their Facebook page. Just one angry post with one comment. I was hoping someone here would answer. (And someone did.)
Oct 2, 2015
256 posts
98 upvotes
Outremont, QC
ace604 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 10:08 pm
Ha, so not just Tangerine.

Seems to me it's the government's fault for not treating the 20th as a holiday and properly scheduling the payment for Friday the 17th like they do early any other time it's a Sat/Sun.

Some banks processed it 'early' on the weekend, others didn't.

"Blame Canada!"
Not even. It's not the federal government's responsibility to account for provincial holidays. They are only obligated for federal holidays.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3815 upvotes
BC
Nimbusplane wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 11:45 pm
Not even. It's not the federal government's responsibility to account for provincial holidays. They are only obligated for federal holidays.
Well let's frame my post under the premise that someone is "to blame" for all the people's woes ;)

If the government wanted everyone to get it before the 21st they would have had to set the date on Friday as they've done previously for weekends and probably any federal stats.
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Oct 2, 2015
256 posts
98 upvotes
Outremont, QC
ace604 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 12:05 am
Well let's frame my post under the premise that someone is "to blame" for all the people's woes ;)

If the government wanted everyone to get it before the 21st they would have had to set the date on Friday as they've done previously for weekends and probably any federal stats.
I think the thread summary is as simple as: you get what you pay for from your bank. If you want a bank that has enough employees and offices that holidays in one province won't affect you in another then you should know you need to pay those infrastructure costs. RBC can give its Ontario employees their Family Day and not impact those in BC because they have that infrastructure. Your free banking has not allowed Tangerine to have office (not just branches) in distributed locations.

And you can't expect the federal government to adjust its pay schedules for provincial holidays because there are 10 provinces and each has the authority to make its own at a whim. The feds have to deal with making many different types of payments (child tax, ei, cpp, oas, employee pay cheques, contractor payments, etc) and suddenly requiring them to recognize provincial holidays to be able to pay early throws considerable logistical hurdles when they deal in terms of tens of millions of scheduled payments per year.

The easiest solution is pay more for your banking. If you want the fed to deal with cross-checking payment dates with provincial holidays each year and making database adjustments, well, that's gna cost us all more in taxes. Or just wait the extra day :)
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1129 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nimbusplane wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 12:56 am
The easiest solution is pay more for your banking. If you want the fed to deal with cross-checking payment dates with provincial holidays each year and making database adjustments, well, that's gna cost us all more in taxes. Or just wait the extra day :)
I don't think so. People who can't wait a single day for their Child Tax probably can't afford a monthly bank bill, nor can they afford $5,000 sitting in a chequing account that they shouldn't touch to avoid those bills.
Oct 2, 2015
256 posts
98 upvotes
Outremont, QC
FoFai2015 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 9:53 am
I don't think so. People who can't wait a single day for their Child Tax probably can't afford a monthly bank bill, nor can they afford $5,000 sitting in a chequing account that they shouldn't touch to avoid those bills.
OP said he doesn't need the money urgently, just that it seems to have annoyed him. It's up to him if his annoyance justifies paying for banking.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1811 posts
553 upvotes
Winnipeg
ace604 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 12:05 am

Tangerine is at fault - not the Federal Government. Other banks and credit unions who have their offices in provinces that had a holiday on Monday all manged to get the funds direct deposited on time, Tangerine was one of the few (apparently someone else said Alterna too) that did not manage to deposit the funds on time.
Nimbusplane wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 11:45 pm
Exactly. Monday was not a Federal Holiday, so the Federal Government did nothing wrong.
FoFai2015 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 9:53 am
Definitely. Many Canadians live paycheque to paycheque and many Canadian's are not very good at managing their finances and they RELY on funds to come by a certain day. They budget for it. While this is not the "AVERAGE RFD USER" - people need to realize that there are other people out there who don't have Savings or Investments and these people cannot afford bank account fees either.
Nimbusplane wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 11:11 am
OP said he doesn't need the money urgently, just that it seems to have annoyed him. It's up to him if his annoyance justifies paying for banking.
Actually if you look at my original post....I never even said I get Child Tax Benefit.... which I don't!

I said that Tangerine's Facebook page had many people complaining about not receiving their benefits. I asked if there was anything that required banks to post the transactions on the day they receive them or are we at the mercy of when banks want to post the transaction. Basically I was asking if people had valid reason to complain or can banks hold our direct deposits for extra days?

And to clarify all the people who think I can't go 1 day without my CTB.....again....I DON'T GET THE BENEFITS....and IF I DID - I would be fine...like many RFD people....I have savings and Lines of Credit and Credit Cards...but thanks everyone for assuming :)

Finally - have a good day everyone!
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3815 upvotes
BC
Shawguy wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 7:30 pm
Tangerine is at fault - not the Federal Government. Other banks and credit unions who have their offices in provinces that had a holiday on Monday all manged to get the funds direct deposited on time, Tangerine was one of the few (apparently someone else said Alterna too) that did not manage to deposit the funds on time.

Exactly. Monday was not a Federal Holiday, so the Federal Government did nothing wrong.

Definitely. Many Canadians live paycheque to paycheque and many Canadian's are not very good at managing their finances and they RELY on funds to come by a certain day. They budget for it. While this is not the "AVERAGE RFD USER" - people need to realize that there are other people out there who don't have Savings or Investments and these people cannot afford bank account fees either.

Actually if you look at my original post....I never even said I get Child Tax Benefit.... which I don't!

I said that Tangerine's Facebook page had many people complaining about not receiving their benefits. I asked if there was anything that required banks to post the transactions on the day they receive them or are we at the mercy of when banks want to post the transaction. Basically I was asking if people had valid reason to complain or can banks hold our direct deposits for extra days?

And to clarify all the people who think I can't go 1 day without my CTB.....again....I DON'T GET THE BENEFITS....and IF I DID - I would be fine...like many RFD people....I have savings and Lines of Credit and Credit Cards...but thanks everyone for assuming :)

Finally - have a good day everyone!
Alterna is in ON.

I would say nobody did anything wrong.

If the bank you deal with is respecting a holiday that's the way it works. If the feds don't care to adjust their payment schedule then different banks will apply the payment on different dates in this scenario. As we have seen.
Feb 14, 2017
5 posts
3 upvotes
Having same issue here!! Today march 20th 6am still nothing in my account from child benefits when usually at my old bank TD I had it in account Saturday morning . It's frustrating when you live on tight budget and you promise your kids to do an activity with them over the weekend.I am done with tangerine , very long waiting periods to talk to customer service and now this. I have been advised by tangerine that if benefits fall on holiday they pay after holiday date and not prior, so that alone was enough to scare me off.
I have now opened an account at cibc and have transferred my deposits there .There is a saying that sometimes when it's free it ends up costing you more in the long run .
Mar 19, 2017
1 posts
What changed? It was never an issue until last month now this month... Holiday or no holiday....