• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2019 2:59 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1678 posts
585 upvotes

Tangerine email money transfer

How does this work?
Is it exactly like interac e-transfer but takes 2-3 days for receiver to receive funds after they accept email?
Does receiver get a list of banks to deposit into just like interac?

Has anyone used it, if so what are the sequence of steps?

TIA
37 replies
Mar 4, 2014
78 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver
The receiver gets an email (almost) immediately and can then transfer the money to any bank. They have to enter the account routing information as if they are the payee of a bill and it takes 2-3 business days for the money to arrive.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2015
1294 posts
1512 upvotes
Tangerine to Tangerine is instant and no account numbers need to be entered. :)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
Both above answers are correct. It depends on if the recipient of the transfer is banking with Tangerine and chooses to deposit there (instant) or does not bank with Tangerine (or chooses to deposit elsewhere), then it's non-instant with the transit + institution + account # entry method.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6905 posts
5592 upvotes
Tangerine's free email money transfer is closer to their external account link than interac emt.

It sucks because the recipient needs to enter their institution number, transit, and account # into tangerine's website
Oct 7, 2013
170 posts
95 upvotes
Westmount
I explain to the recipient that they need to put their banking info and that it will take a couple of days if they don't have Tangerine... it is a good way to promote Tangerine services for $ referral bonus
Nov 13, 2011
739 posts
323 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
What happens if the recipient is using a non-CAD account?
Nov 29, 2001
323 posts
127 upvotes
I forget who I used it with, but Tangerine gave me the option to login to online banking at the other bank and they automatically sucked out the various numbers for the transfer.
Jun 18, 2004
750 posts
664 upvotes
Vancouver Island
darkcloud8282 wrote: What happens if the recipient is using a non-CAD account?
It only works with Canadian bank accounts, I believe.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
darkcloud8282 wrote: What happens if the recipient is using a non-CAD account?
Platypus wrote: It only works with Canadian bank accounts, I believe.
Ya, and if you deposit to a non-CAD Canadian account I assume your bank will just convert the CAD to the other currency (USD, EUR) and then deposit at whatever ripoff exchange rate with built in 2-3% fee they feel like charging you.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5459 upvotes
Toronto
I got someone on Kijiji who bought something off me through this, and I did not know I needed to enter my bank info... this took me a while to find a cheque to enter in the necessary info

so it takes 2-3 days. is there any way the buyer can scam me and reverse the payment or stop it from processing somehow?
Mar 12, 2017
147 posts
77 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: so it takes 2-3 days. is there any way the buyer can scam me and reverse the payment or stop it from processing somehow?
Absolutely. If they are using a stolen bank account. Or if they lie to their bank and claim that someone hacked them.

Source: I got scammed twice selling bitcoin for Interac e-transfers. Tangerine EMT is the same shit, except it uses EFT (electronic funds transfer) to send to another bank.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1510 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I EMT funds to my own bank (non-Tangerine) on Friday morning, June 7 and the money was removed immediately.
I got the email notification within two hours and directed to my bank.
The funds showed up in my bank around 7AM this morning, Tuesday June 11.

So yes, Interac e-Transfer is faster.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1556 posts
894 upvotes
I guess you get what you pay for.

Who's willing , now days to do all that crap on the other end, and then wait 2-3 days for their $?
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1510 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto, ON
User455957 wrote: I guess you get what you pay for.

Who's willing , now days to do all that crap on the other end, and then wait 2-3 days for their $?
well, as a Tangerine client, it's free to send... that's the only reason i used it.... and the pain is on the Receiver's end. I just wish Tangerine would get with the times and offer free Interac e-transfers like their competitors Simplii, EQ Bank, Motive, etc.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
Using Tangerines FREE email money transfer is solely reserved for those people whom you don't like...

It is a major pain in the arse for those receiving it. Just know that before you send it.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4686 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
jellytime wrote: Using Tangerines FREE email money transfer is solely reserved for those people whom you don't like...

It is a major pain in the arse for those receiving it. Just know that before you send it.
Unless the receiver is also a Tangerine client, in which case receiving the transfer is as easy as logging into your account.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
ChinpokoMon wrote: Unless the receiver is also a Tangerine client, in which case receiving the transfer is as easy as logging into your account.
This is true. If you're a Tangerine client, then it isn't a big deal. But, if you're not. It's a pain...

I always used to ask if they were had a Tangerine account, if not, I would just pay the $1 fee for an eTransfer. Now I get unlimited eTransfers with TD, so I just use my TD to send money now.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
jellytime wrote: Using Tangerines FREE email money transfer is solely reserved for those people whom you don't like...

Understatement.

I was hoping the second time and going fwd, it would auto deposit...but of course it doesn't. Who the HELL has the patience to fill in all this stuff each time. So offensive. Will be telling this individual to choose another way of paying us.
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1556 posts
894 upvotes

I'd be like "Sorry Bro, not doing all that crap to wait 3 days to $. Get back to me when you get into the 21st century"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)