• Jun 15th, 2018 12:51 am
Jul 27, 2016
160 posts
76 upvotes
Kanata
plans4canada wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 9:26 pm
EQ 2.3%, no brainer
Maybe you should actually use a bit of your brain, though...

Assuming someone has the room in their TFSA, then Alterna TFSA is better:

$10,000 @ 2.3% for 12 months = $230
Let's take Quebec tax brackets since the OP is from QC, and we'll assume OP makes less than $42,000 which puts them at a tax rate of 27.53%.
So, your "no brainer" $230 is now only $166.68

But wait, what if OP makes $50,000? That "no brainer" only earns them $144.62 which is a piddly 1.45%.

Or you could just stick it in a TFSA and earn:
$10,000 @ 2.1% for 12 months = $210

No brainer.
Oct 25, 2007
648 posts
65 upvotes
Mississauga
I called and got the 2.5% as I was about to transfer my funds to CIBC esavings account which is offering the same rate.
I was told this 2.5% is only for new customers only and I am not qualified, but when I told them to transfer to CIBC which is around 200k, then they offered this rate with very back n forth conversation between rep & supervisor.

Well, I am done with these cat&mouse games for these interest rates and decided pay off my mortage in coming months and make peace with life:-)
What ever new savings goes to Index ETF's at Questrade going forward...(hope I get the dividends more than 3% at any given point of time)
Jan 7, 2016
4 posts
Toronto, ON
2.5% expired May 31st. no email promotion to extended so i contacted Tangerine customer service today. asked for 2.5% extension on savings account and was given an additional 180 days no questioned asked. great service
Apr 9, 2010
938 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
asxyman1 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 3:43 pm
2.5% expired May 31st. no email promotion to extended so i contacted Tangerine customer service today. asked for 2.5% extension on savings account and was given an additional 180 days no questioned asked. great service
Not including TFSA? It's a new retention promo and not an extension unless it's still on new money, including TFSA. If you don't have TFSA then it doesn't matter anyway though.
Jun 9, 2018
1 posts
I chatted with a Tangerine representative yesterday and easily got an extension of the 2.5% rate; however, when I read the fine print, it doesn't seem to be an extension but a new offer. Previously, the bonus was only on new deposits; however, in reading the fine print for this offer, it seems like the 2.5% is on the total value of savings and not just new deposits (see below). Is anyone able to clarify if the 2.5% is on the whole savings amount or just new deposits?

"You’re earning 2.50%* interest on funds in your Tangerine Savings Account(s) until December 5, 2018.
* 2.50% interest rate Offer is calculated by adding the Bank's current applicable Posted Rate with the Additional Interest rate of 1.40%. The Offer is available to Clients who receive notification that they are eligible for the Offer from a Tangerine Contact Centre Associate and who verbally accept the Offer ("Eligible Clients"). The Offer is applicable to all eligible deposits for a period of 180 days from the date the Eligible Client accepts the Offer (the "Promotion Period"), to a maximum of $500,000 in deposits to all Tangerine Savings Accounts combined (CDN dollar, non-registered Accounts only; referred to here as "Applicable Accounts")
Oct 7, 2004
704 posts
47 upvotes
Where the deals are
my promotion ends June 30th.. and they said they cannot manually add any promotions. I have to wait until June 30th to see if I get a new promotion. I hate Tangerine's promotional offers, it's shit treating customers like this.
Dec 25, 2013
610 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
How many employees do they have working their chat system..? Geez, I get 99% of the time this

"We have an unexpected high number of Chat sessions underway right now, and all hands are typing with other Clients. If you’re in a hurry, please close the chat box and try chatting with us again later."
Nov 9, 2013
406 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
I tried with no luck. Said theycannot offer anything more than 1.6% for 180 days. They even offered to help transfer funds to my other bank.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1686 posts
457 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
They offered me only 2% on the savings account, nothing on the TFSA. The same for my husband's account. It's time for EQ Bank once and for all I think. No more jumping through hoops. A new customer gets 2.75% and doesn't have to wait and wait for their chat where, considering the wait, it seems one person works on it. I'm just kind of tired of it.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7257 posts
453 upvotes
jdfjdf wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 4:22 pm
I chatted with a Tangerine representative yesterday and easily got an extension of the 2.5% rate; however, when I read the fine print, it doesn't seem to be an extension but a new offer. Previously, the bonus was only on new deposits; however, in reading the fine print for this offer, it seems like the 2.5% is on the total value of savings and not just new deposits (see below). Is anyone able to clarify if the 2.5% is on the whole savings amount or just new deposits?

"You’re earning 2.50%* interest on funds in your Tangerine Savings Account(s) until December 5, 2018.
* 2.50% interest rate Offer is calculated by adding the Bank's current applicable Posted Rate with the Additional Interest rate of 1.40%. The Offer is available to Clients who receive notification that they are eligible for the Offer from a Tangerine Contact Centre Associate and who verbally accept the Offer ("Eligible Clients"). The Offer is applicable to all eligible deposits for a period of 180 days from the date the Eligible Client accepts the Offer (the "Promotion Period"), to a maximum of $500,000 in deposits to all Tangerine Savings Accounts combined (CDN dollar, non-registered Accounts only; referred to here as "Applicable Accounts")
You are correct, It is on the full amount..
Signature removed due to external link rule violation.