• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 2:07 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
396 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Tangerine Investment Funds

I was wondering what experience RFD'ers have had with Tangerine Investment Funds.
Ease of use? Reporting of performance?

Good? Neutral? Bad?
My wife has a Spousal RSP made up of these funds but I have no direct experience with them.

Instead of bouncing cash between HISA promotion lotteries, is this a better option if short-terim liquidity is not an issue?

Unit prices:
As of 07/09/2018
Tangerine Balanced Income Portfolio $13.17
Tangerine Balanced Portfolio $14.66
Tangerine Balanced Growth Portfolio $15.48
Tangerine Dividend Portfolio $11.28
Tangerine Equity Growth Portfolio $19.13
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4723 posts
746 upvotes
Mississauga
definitely better than hisa...

mer are kinda high at 1.07

very easy and hands off... no rebalancing needed

if you don't want to bother reading about etf... then this is fine...
Dec 21, 2007
517 posts
112 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm using them for now as they are better than a HISA, can be used with a TFSA, etc. I still plan on moving to ETFs eventually, but this works until I learn more.

Just remember though, these can go up, or they can do down. If you want to be sure the money is there when you need it (esp if it is a safety net/buffer), then EQ Bank @ 2.3% guaranteed is hard to beat.
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Nov 6, 2015
633 posts
240 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I put $15K in Balanced Growth Portfolio in October and it is now at $16,300, so can't complain. Of course, markets have been going up in general so I would expect it to have grown. But one has to remember this is meant for long term investing - I know at some point there will be a big drop and that I will have to ride it through. I don't want to be one of those fools who complain how bad their investment is doing 3 months after they bought it.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3848 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
Couldn't imagine giving up 1%
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
2255 posts
1190 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
They are OK options, but be careful of the mixture of these. Really one to two max as they cover the same kind of investments, only in different proportions.

If you want a one fund option, Balanced Portfolio or Balanced Growth. I would only pick one.

OR

If you wanted to change the amount of fixed income or equity, I would choose the Balanced Income, and then either Equity Growth or Dividend with whatever percentage you feel would be good.

Of course, if you are OK with doing a bit of extra work, you have some better investment options out there. Alternatively, I like using Sask Pension for RRSPs which you can click on the URL in my signature for more info.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6000/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Oct 5, 2014
121 posts
26 upvotes
Madden, AB
They are not the greatest but decent...I have been investing in the growth balance portfolio for 10+ years...The annualized returns by end of 2017 are:

1yr: 9.74%
3yrs: 7.69%
5yrs: 10.5%
10yrs: 7.74%

One thing I like mutual fund over ETF is that I can set up the automatic investing process, which completley take out the emontion impact on investing...