• Jan 3rd, 2019 4:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2123 posts
325 upvotes
Canada

Tangerine Missing Payment Advice

Nov 17 2018 I made a bill payment online from my Tangerine Checking account to my RBC USA based Visa card for $1000.00. A week later payment had not made it to the card. I called RBC USA and they told me there is no way to make a payment to a USA based visa card from a Canadian bank. They were surprised Tangerine let me at that card to my list of billers. I contacted Tangerine and they told be they would investigate. So far Tangerine is unable to tell me a thing. I contacted RBC USA again and they told me Payment was rejected on Nov 19th. They also told me they notified Tangerine via FAX on that day.

I keep contacting Tangerine, they seem to care less and just keep saying it is under investigation, mean while I am out $1000.

I am at a lost at what to do at this point? Any advice?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2082 posts
817 upvotes
Raincouver
Can you please show me where RBC USA Visa Signature is displayed on Tangerine Bill Pay? Why would you make assumption RBC VISA session is for your RBC USA VISA Signature card?

Once the payment is rejected, it'd start rerouting for a while. Usually over a month or even longer
CAN/USA Cross Border Banking

Netflix? Bill me in Turkish Lira, Watch Me around the world.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2123 posts
325 upvotes
Canada
dekvitaly wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 2:59 pm
Can you please show me where RBC USA Visa Signature is displayed on Tangerine Bill Pay? Why would you make assumption RBC VISA session is for your RBC USA VISA Signature card?

Once the payment is rejected, it'd start rerouting for a while. Usually over a month or even longer
It was just paid to ROYAL BANK VISA using the card number.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2123 posts
325 upvotes
Canada
airodyssey wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 2:39 pm
First thing I would do is contact Tangerine customer service again and insist on having a follow-up.

If that fails, you can go to step 2 of the Tangerine complaints process:
https://www.tangerine.ca/en/legal/compl ... index.html
Tried that, the step I should be at is the Tangerine Ombudsman but they refuse to do anything untill the last step is completed, its stupid since they are doing nothing.
Jul 28, 2012
938 posts
327 upvotes
Montreal
Kamloops wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 3:35 pm
Tried that, the step I should be at is the Tangerine Ombudsman but they refuse to do anything untill the last step is completed, its stupid since they are doing nothing.
You can't go to the ombudsman until you have gone to step 2 and received a response. It's not stupid, it's how it works at every bank.
Sep 6, 2018
212 posts
88 upvotes
First mistake you made is you should have tested making payments with a small amount.

Second mistake, you paid US Dollar card with a Candian Dollar account.

Third Mistake, for US credit cards, it is simpler to just use ACH transfers to pay the card.. You should link it with a US$ checking account.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2756 upvotes
Sorry for all the unhelpful answers.

This sort of error is more common than you might think, as is the ridiculous delay in resolving payments that go missing. For example when Visa Direct was first announced (a new service of Visa that does let you pay Visa cards in another country), we gave it try with an small experimental amount. The bank in the other country, explicitly listed as supporting Visa Direct, had not yet trained their staff on it, and when a Visa payment arrived from another country they assumed it was an error and sent it back. The money disappeared, and neither Visa nor our bank in Canada nor the bank in the other country could tell us anything about it. The money eventually showed up back in Canada again after 3 months.

Don't worry - the system works very slowly and seems unresponsive at times, but it will get there in the end. Be persistent, keep following up with Tangerine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2123 posts
325 upvotes
Canada
BadSitcoms wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 8:00 am
First mistake you made is you should have tested making payments with a small amount.

Second mistake, you paid US Dollar card with a Candian Dollar account.

Third Mistake, for US credit cards, it is simpler to just use ACH transfers to pay the card.. You should link it with a US$ checking account.
Thanks for pointing out the mistakes! Great Advice. In future if you are just going to criticize someone, dont bother it is not helpful! Tangerine should not have allowed me to add the card as a bill, my other bank will not.
Jun 13, 2018
522 posts
360 upvotes
Kamloops wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 4:17 pm
Thanks for pointing out the mistakes! Great Advice. In future if you are just going to criticize someone, dont bother it is not helpful! Tangerine should not have allowed me to add the card as a bill, my other bank will not.
really, that's your defense, "they shouldn't have let me do it" . Input error of a routing or account number is the fault of the inputter.
Jul 28, 2012
938 posts
327 upvotes
Montreal
Kamloops wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 4:17 pm
Tangerine should not have allowed me to add the card as a bill, my other bank will not.
Actually, it's the payee (in this case RBC) that provides the specifics to each bank that is willing to accept bill payments on their behalf.

It is up to the payee to say, for example, that the account number is 16 digits long, should start with 451011, etc. Unfortunately, RBC appears to have overlooked this. I did a test and I can add the account number 4111111111111111, which is obviously fictional.

You can contact RBC in Canada -- NOT to correct your payment but to suggest that they update those specifics so that other people don't go through your situation.