Hot Deals

[Tangerine Savings] Tangerine 2.75% Interest Rate 0ct 4 - December 31 [TARGETED]

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 7:34 am
Apr 24, 2011
245 posts
45 upvotes
Scarborough
First time I got the max promo in a while :) Thanks OP

What institution and transit numbers do I use to add my EQ bank account with Tangerine? I've read mixed numbers when it comes to EQ's institution number and transit #s....one site shows EQ's institution # as 004 and that is TD...?
Mar 25, 2006
911 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
axis81 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:38 am
First time I got the max promo in a while :) Thanks OP

What institution and transit numbers do I use to add my EQ bank account with Tangerine? I've read mixed numbers when it comes to EQ's institution number and transit #s....one site shows EQ's institution # as 004 and that is TD...?
on your EQ account, click on setup direct deposit. that shows you a void cheque with all the information you need.

Institution 623
Transit 80002
Mar 25, 2006
911 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
cidkramer wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 11:36 am
Unfortunately things keep changing for the worse little by little thanks to ScotiaBank.

I'm considering moving my money away, especially given how they sneakily changed their cashback rate on their mastercard.
Yea, what I hate most about ScotiaBank is when they purchased Chase Canada, they changed all their Credit Cards and removed the 0% foreign transaction fees. Smiling Face With Horns
Jan 19, 2009
46 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal
I didn't read the whole thread, but here is my experience:
I've been getting 2.4% on new deposits every quarter for over a year. on the last day of the month before the promo expires I've been moving my money to my chequing account, and then back to my savings. This allows me to get the 2.4% promotional rate, and I don't even need to move it to another bank (e.g. EQ).

This time around, I didn't see the reminder on my calendar and missed the deadline to yank everything out. I called, and told them I was fed up with having to shuffle my money around to get good rates, and that if they couldn't beat EQ's 2% I was just going to move my money.

30sec later, they offered me 2.5% on all my savings, more than the targeted promotion was even offering. Yes, other people have gotten more, but for 30s and minimal effort, I'm pretty happy. Way better than 1%, that's for sure.
May 3, 2008
132 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
silverele wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:21 am
It would not count. They took a snapshot of your savings accounts on Oct 4 and only a balance above that amount in savings is going to get the Promo Rate. That's why people moved their money out before the promotion started and back in after.
Its new deposit based on snapshot of closing balance Oct 3. New promotion starts Oct 4.
Apr 9, 2010
289 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
wongmb wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 2:17 pm
Its new deposit based on snapshot of closing balance Oct 3. New promotion starts Oct 4.
Yes, you're right! I wrote the wrong date, this time it started on the 3rd.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5246 posts
747 upvotes
Mont-Royal
how do u pull from tangerine? eq bank has no transit/routing #
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Apr 24, 2011
245 posts
45 upvotes
Scarborough
bingo_jake wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:14 am
on your EQ account, click on setup direct deposit. that shows you a void cheque with all the information you need.

Institution 623
Transit 80002
Ah there it is. Awesome thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2423 posts
558 upvotes
Montreal
Got 2.5% for all savings as well, not bad
Not buying something on sale is not a crime.
Oct 4, 2017
10 posts
Cab0oze wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 1:41 pm
This time around, I didn't see the reminder on my calendar and missed the deadline to yank everything out. I called, and told them I was fed up with having to shuffle my money around to get good rates, and that if they couldn't beat EQ's 2% I was just going to move my money.

30sec later, they offered me 2.5% on all my savings, more than the targeted promotion was even offering. Yes, other people have gotten more, but for 30s and minimal effort, I'm pretty happy. Way better than 1%, that's for sure.
Do you think it's because you had a large amount in your accounts for them to offer you this interest rate?
Apr 5, 2016
214 posts
176 upvotes
BC
Cab0oze wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 1:41 pm
I didn't read the whole thread, but here is my experience:
I've been getting 2.4% on new deposits every quarter for over a year. on the last day of the month before the promo expires I've been moving my money to my chequing account, and then back to my savings. This allows me to get the 2.4% promotional rate, and I don't even need to move it to another bank (e.g. EQ).

Thanks. I tried your suggested proposal - call took about 15 minutes to connect with an agent who was very professional and pleasant. He however told me I'm not eligible for any promotions unless it indicates such on my account when I log in. 1% is the best they could offer and I've been a client almost since the company opened!
Zoomer Wireless = 2+ years
Tangerine = 10+ years
Apr 8, 2017
105 posts
27 upvotes
Maple Ridge
Interesting. I just tried to move my money from chequings to savings and I didn't see a change in the rate... So I chatted with them on got 1.6%

But if I transferred to my old bank and back, they'd apply 2.75?
Jan 19, 2009
46 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 2:19 pm
Interesting. I just tried to move my money from chequings to savings and I didn't see a change in the rate... So I chatted with them on got 1.6%

But if I transferred to my old bank and back, they'd apply 2.75?
No. If you did it prior to the start of the promotion, maybe, but no guarantees. Back when I did that I'd get offers for 2.4% but that was it.
CorporalJenky wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:59 pm
Do you think it's because you had a large amount in your accounts for them to offer you this interest rate?
Maybe... or maybe it's because I've been with them forever... or maybe it's my age divided by the number of cups of coffee the agent had to drink that day. I don't think anyone knows for sure.
But if you're only getting 1%, it certainly doesn't hurt to try. Only takes like ~5 minutes of your time, and a couple days for the money to move.
ChiliPalmer wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 1:58 pm
Thanks. I tried your suggested proposal - call took about 15 minutes to connect with an agent who was very professional and pleasant. He however told me I'm not eligible for any promotions unless it indicates such on my account when I log in. 1% is the best they could offer and I've been a client almost since the company opened!
Really weird. Well it was worth a shot. Do you have any linked bank accounts? I wonder if that has something to do with it. I have my EQ account linked, so it only takes me a few seconds to send everything out of Tangerine and I presume they know that lol

If not, why not open up another account, link it, xfer a bit of money and then see if they change their tune next time around. I bet you'd get a targeted offer, and they'd be more receptive.
May 19, 2015
179 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Should I wait to open a savings account? Does Tangerine usually have promotions to open savings? I have a chequing account from a while ago, and now want to move my direct deposits from TD to Tangerine (but I don't qualify for their current bonus to move direct deposits over go figure :rolleyes: )
Shop&Deal-aholic... it's like gambling except I save money (that I may otherwise not have spent? 😄)
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 2GB + free phone :twisted: