Hot Deals

[Tangerine Savings] Tangerine 2.75% Interest Rate 0ct 4 - December 31 [TARGETED]

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 12:43 pm
Jan 19, 2009
46 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal
SignedA wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 4:33 pm
Should I wait to open a savings account? Does Tangerine usually have promotions to open savings? I have a chequing account from a while ago, and now want to move my direct deposits from TD to Tangerine (but I don't qualify for their current bonus to move direct deposits over go figure :rolleyes: )
Nope, I've only seen promos for new clients
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
202 upvotes
I am not a fan of Tangerine. When we were with them, I tried to get them to extend a rate offer. They refused.

After I moved out our money, they keep sending us exclusive rate bonuses. What a joke.
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
May 19, 2015
179 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cab0oze wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 4:41 pm
Nope, I've only seen promos for new clients
Awhh... guess I'll open a savings account then... will there be any negative impacts (i.e. credit score) if I close a chequeing account I've had forever?
Shop&Deal-aholic... it's like gambling except I save money (that I may otherwise not have spent? 😄)
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 2GB + free phone :twisted:
Jun 23, 2017
243 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aquariaguy wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 12:51 pm
How come PCF hasn't had anything in a while? Is that a sign of things to come once CIBC takes over ?
I'm expecting Simplii to make a big splash on November 1 by offering a higher (maybe best-in-class) rate for HISA.
With this recent Tangerine rate lottery, I drained my PCF Savings account and moved it all to Tangerine.
I'll gladly move it all back to Simplii if they make it worth my while when they launch!
Jun 23, 2017
243 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sumrandomguy wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:07 pm
so what's better in my favour? login to Tangerine and request the money from EQ Bank? or login to EQ Bank and push the money over to Tangerine?
Go to Tangerine and 'pull' the funds over. You earn interest that day @ Tangerine AND interest @ EQ Bank because the funds have not moved from EQ Bank yet.
Last edited by 905P4N6 on Oct 17th, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 23, 2017
243 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dragonflower77 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 3:27 pm
No email, but logged in and saw 2.75. I left the threshold at $2000. I got zilch before when it was really low. Anybody put $1000 or less and go the highest promo?
I had $1.00 in Tangerine Savings and was offered 2.75%... In response, I moved all my money from PCF Savings (getting promo rate of 2.5% until Oct.31) over to Tangerine, where it will stay until the end of this 2.75% promo or until someone else ups the ante.
Jun 23, 2017
243 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
arrush wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 6:59 pm
How do you guys move money? I have saving with PC and an empty savings account with Tangerine. I'm assuming you're not doing these with interac transfer?
Link the two accounts and make tranfers.
When I moved my savings from PCF to Tangerine to take advantage of this promo rate I had to call PCF and was transferred to speak with a supervisor, answered a few identity-confirming questions before she was able to key in the transfers for me in $50,000 increments (apparently the most they can do per transfer).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9037 posts
585 upvotes
Mississauga
905P4N6 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 9:28 am
I'm expecting Simplii to make a big splash on November 1 by offering a higher (maybe best-in-class) rate for HISA.
With this recent Tangerine rate lottery, I drained my PCF Savings account and moved it all to Tangerine.
I'll gladly move it all back to Simplii if they make it worth my while when they launch!
Yes I have my calendar scheduled for Nov 1 so I can sign up for an Simplii account right away if the HISA rate beats EQ Bank
Nov 30, 2002
498 posts
25 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
I use a bunch of Tangerine savings products, but I don't use my Tangerine Chequeing account. So, they emptied the $6.22 balance of my account a couple of months ago. Only just noticed while moving money for this offer. Garbage! Does not make me feel good about Tangerine at all!
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1308 posts
326 upvotes
teddy boom wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 2:57 am
I use a bunch of Tangerine savings products, but I don't use my Tangerine Chequeing account. So, they emptied the $6.22 balance of my account a couple of months ago. Only just noticed while moving money for this offer. Garbage! Does not make me feel good about Tangerine at all!
What do u mean by "emptied"? Didnt think financial institution cam steal and keep your $?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10576 posts
3372 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
teddy boom wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 3:36 am
Sure they can, dormant account fee. Just really stinks, but it is legal.
This is hardly unusual in the Canadian banking industry. What TING should have done, however, is to send you a notification a couple of months beforehand.

I would call TING about this. Ask where they sent the notification. If they can't provide a satisfactory answer, then request that they return your money.

Some ammo for your conversation: Even their overlords, BNS, send out notifications in advance of taking action/charging fees on dormant accounts.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1396 upvotes
Richmond
teddy boom wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 3:36 am
Sure they can, dormant account fee. Just really stinks, but it is legal.
It's a special 12-month inactivity fee of $10 introduced by our good friends at Tangerine/Scotiabank last March on their chequing accounts. But they back-dated it to the last time you used the account, not starting from their announcement. See tangerine-chq-beware-10-fee-1yr-inactivity-2125214/
Jun 1, 2016
32 posts
1 upvote
Hey guys,
Waking up a little late here, kind of lost track with the busy summer and didn't think of removing my money on Sept 29.
As of Oct 3, I had 7k in my savings account. When I got the offer for 2.75%, I pulled my 22k from PCF to Tangerine.
But now I realise...the 7k are down to 1% and the 22k are at 2.75%...correct?
If I move 7k to EQ, does the remainder (22k) continue to earn 2.75% or it will still be anything above 7k?
If so, what a trap!
Aug 1, 2010
540 posts
248 upvotes
Nina64 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 3:37 pm
Hey guys,
Waking up a little late here, kind of lost track with the busy summer and didn't think of removing my money on Sept 29.
As of Oct 3, I had 7k in my savings account. When I got the offer for 2.75%, I pulled my 22k from PCF to Tangerine.
But now I realise...the 7k are down to 1% and the 22k are at 2.75%...correct?
If I move 7k to EQ, does the remainder (22k) continue to earn 2.75% or it will still be anything above 7k?
If so, what a trap!
All new deposits will earn the bonus rate. The 22k should still earn the 2.75 in your case