• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2019 12:34 am
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2006
4493 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto

tankless water heater and where to buy

Hi guys, i have been experiencing issues with my rented water heater from enbridge as it's not producing enough hot water for a duration. Now i probably could get that fixed but i have been meaning to replace and own my own tankless based on some reads thru forums and research. Is there a good company to go with that will supply the tankless plus installation?
I die every Monday at 7am and reborn Friday at 4pm
31 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
Check the temperature setting first, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it see too low.

Much more cost effective to go with a new NG tank water heater, something with an EF of 0.67 or higher.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2006
4493 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
Had enercare come in and they said I need to replace t and they want to charge me 38 dollars per month for the new model. Wife booked the appointment but I’ll have to find out when and I’m truing to move on from enercare on this
I die every Monday at 7am and reborn Friday at 4pm
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Rocketo wrote: Had enercare come in and they said I need to replace t and they want to charge me 38 dollars per month for the new model. Wife booked the appointment but I’ll have to find out when and I’m truing to move on from enercare on this
Ah, no you are not moving on from them if your wife booked an appointment and they plan on showing up with a new unit and if you're not home to stop them from entering and installing. If your current rental is under warranty than you are still not moving on from them. If it is out of warranty, than DO NOT let them in your house unless you want to continue renting. It's like $50/month for a tankless from enercare.

Simple.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Feb 9, 2006
164 posts
51 upvotes
Rocketo wrote: Had enercare come in and they said I need to replace t and they want to charge me 38 dollars per month for the new model. Wife booked the appointment but I’ll have to find out when and I’m truing to move on from enercare on this
I'd call them back before they come as a straight exchange doesn't cost anything and rental prices don't go up. The rental only changes if the type of tank changes.
Dec 5, 2017
299 posts
317 upvotes
I currently have a tankless heater. I highly recommend against getting one. Unless you like spending lots of money and waiting for your hot water.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3488 posts
1532 upvotes
Toronto
Spiritwalker2222 wrote: I currently have a tankless heater. I highly recommend against getting one. Unless you like spending lots of money and waiting for your hot water.
Care to supply some more detail, because you're throwing out some blanket statements there that are not reflected by others who have tankless.
Glazers Out!
Dec 5, 2017
299 posts
317 upvotes
Cost of a tank vs tankless heater of equivalent quality and capacity (yes not really comparable), the cost is $1,200 vs $3,500 respectively. I find a tankless heater takes about an extra 30 seconds to get hot water to a faucet.

For what? I save about $4 a month in natural gas costs. Probably spend most of that in running my taps for so much longer.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
Real comparison numbers based on my actual cost estimates, comparing a 50G natural gas (40,000 BTU) "power-vent" water heater, to a condensing "tankless" (190,000 BTU) natural gas water heater, for a family of 5 in SW Ontario.

Here is the savings going to a tankless, as well as how long it is estimated before the savings broke even on the cost difference. One flaw in the time duration is that it assumes that all 5 people will still be there years from now, but with teenagers that horizon is about another 10 years at home, so that timeline is in fact even longer still.

The two difference snapshots compare savings at two different temperature settings.
Images
  • Tank vs tankless costs.jpg
  • tank vs tankless - high temp.jpg
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Dec 5, 2017
299 posts
317 upvotes
Jojo_Madman wrote: Real comparison numbers based on my actual cost estimates, comparing a 50G natural gas (40,000 BTU) "power-vent" water heater, to a condensing "tankless" (190,000 BTU) natural gas water heater, for a family of 5 in SW Ontario.

Here is the savings going to a tankless, as well as how long it is estimated before the savings broke even on the cost difference. One flaw in the time duration is that it assumes that all 5 people will still be there years from now, but with teenagers that horizon is about another 10 years at home, so that timeline is in fact even longer still.

The two difference snapshots compare savings at two different temperature settings.
Thanks for sharing Jojo.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Jojo_Madman wrote: Real comparison numbers based on my actual cost estimates, comparing a 50G natural gas (40,000 BTU) "power-vent" water heater, to a condensing "tankless" (190,000 BTU) natural gas water heater, for a family of 5 in SW Ontario.

So in the water hardness capital of ontario where 12 years is good for a tank, tankless is a non-starter. I thought so.
Mar 12, 2008
723 posts
228 upvotes
Windsor
Spiritwalker2222 wrote: Cost of a tank vs tankless heater of equivalent quality and capacity (yes not really comparable), the cost is $1,200 vs $3,500 respectively. I find a tankless heater takes about an extra 30 seconds to get hot water to a faucet.

For what? I save about $4 a month in natural gas costs. Probably spend most of that in running my taps for so much longer.
I have been using one for the past one year and very happy with it. Whatever you suggested above is true but one advantage with Tankless is that it produces limitless hot water. I had some guest (8) over at my place and every one took a shower back to back and not a single complaint from anyone and that thing produced HOT water like beast non stop.......LOL
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
w11x22 wrote: I have been using one for the past one year and very happy with it. Whatever you suggested above is true but one advantage with Tankless is that it produces limitless hot water. I had some guest (8) over at my place and every one took a shower back to back and not a single complaint from anyone and that thing produced HOT water like beast non stop.......LOL
Same here. I’m very happy with my Rinnai tankless.

Just like OP is considering I got mine for the endless supply of hot water. My previous 50 gallon tank could not keep up. I didn’t buy it to save money on NG.
Banned
Nov 19, 2018
9 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I have two high-quality tankless water heaters (Rinnai) in my home. We too had plenty of guests recently and never run out of hot water. Totally satisfied.
That said, mine are powered by gas.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
8018 posts
1780 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone got a good company to recommend to install a hot water tank? Lowe's provided me a quote for 2000 initially.
Oct 14, 2007
216 posts
54 upvotes
Mississauga
I am in the same boat - got quote from contractor and roughly the same price that you got.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
Look for Polaris or Nautilus Water heaters. They have all of the advantages of tankless and conventional water heaters. also the disadvantage of tankless ( price) . but they dont require the maintenance a tankless requires and provide hotwater on demand as if they were conventional.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
Supahhh wrote: Look for Polaris or Nautilus Water heaters. They have all of the advantages of tankless and conventional water heaters. also the disadvantage of tankless ( price) . but they dont require the maintenance a tankless requires and provide hotwater on demand as if they were conventional.
What extra maintenance does a tankless require over a polaris tank? The only maintenance I know of is flushing a tankless which is on the-same schedule as a regular tank. There is also a filter but that takes 2 minute to clean.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
bubuski wrote: What extra maintenance does a tankless require over a polaris tank? The only maintenance I know of is flushing a tankless which is on the-same schedule as a regular tank. There is also a filter but that takes 2 minute to clean.
Tank( Conventional ) doesnt require ( yearly )flushing . Its a recommendation not a requirement.
tankless requires yearly Descaling with Vinegar or a solution which you buy to descale. and even then its efficiency ( for which most people buy it for) continues to drop over its life time as the descaling isnt always sucessfull.
If you dont flush a regular tank, not really happens. If you dont descale a tankless its performance is hugely impacted.

Just an FYi , to descale you can use :
Vinergar ,CLR , phosphoric acid weak solution , or a product to dissolve Lime.

Heres a link for the process to descale tankless Water heater.

----
Pay it forward.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)