• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2016 3:58 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 25, 2009
163 posts
27 upvotes

Tap and then sign?

At our local Farm Boy (Ottawa and various locations), buy $78, pay by credit card tapping the terminal, processed and accepted, and then the cashier hands me a receipt to sign! Why allow tap and then force a customer signature? The only other place this has happened is a Tims off the 401.

Bonus question: if I refused to sign after already paying what next?
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
shoppingmatters wrote: At our local Farm Boy (Ottawa and various locations), buy $78, pay by credit card tapping the terminal, processed and accepted, and then the cashier hands me a receipt to sign! Why allow tap and then force a customer signature? The only other place this has happened is a Tims off the 401.

I don't recall if it was $50 or $100, but thought there was a threshold where you would have to sign for 'large' purchase?

If you refuse to sign then how is it any different that the old days where the magnetic card was swiped and then asked to sign after that? Just its the tap this time.
Dec 25, 2009
163 posts
27 upvotes
It appears to go against what the credit card companies want:
MasterCard wrote:Signature or PIN is not required for MasterCard contactless transactions of CAD $100 or less
VISA wrote:With no signature to check or PIN to enter for purchases under $100 – and cardholder receipt optional – expect faster transactions, shorter lines and happier customers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
shoppingmatters wrote: It appears to go against what the credit card companies want:
Think it USED to be $50, years ago. That's why I asked.. but you're right, it's $100 for that threshold. I'd imagine it's a bug or programming error on their system. You could email head office, they do reply to their emails.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
That threshold is for all contactless transactions; you can't tap for transactions above $100. Above $100, you have to insert the card or swipe.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4377 posts
1594 upvotes
every now and then, the bank may prompt for a signature...
Feb 10, 2008
656 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
CrazyJo82 wrote: every now and then, the bank may prompt for a signature...
+1 I've been asked for a signature every now and then...must just be a random security check.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7080 upvotes
West GTEH!
shoppingmatters wrote: At our local Farm Boy (Ottawa and various locations), buy $78, pay by credit card tapping the terminal, processed and accepted, and then the cashier hands me a receipt to sign! Why allow tap and then force a customer signature? The only other place this has happened is a Tims off the 401.

Did you ask the cashier why you had to sign the receipt?
😎
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
When I went in for chiro and paid by tapping I always had to sign and it was under $50. In the end I just started inserting as thought it was no point of tapping if I had to sign in the end.
Dec 25, 2009
163 posts
27 upvotes
Webhead wrote: Did you ask the cashier why you had to sign the receipt?
Yes I did, she replied "it must be some setting on your credit card", and I said "I don't think so" and left it at that

Farm Boy has now replied to me:
Farm Boy wrote:Upon receipt of your feedback, I shared it with our Retail Manager, Loss Prevention & Expense Control so that he may be aware of your experience. He has confirmed that each bank and vendor has varying and inconsistent industry policies and standards regarding tap limits of which we do not have control. I would recommend reaching out to your bank or credit card provider as they will be able to provide you with more information regarding their policy regarding tap limits.
Since I often use the credit card tap for under $100, this doesn't make any sense
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3663 posts
1174 upvotes
Mars

you will be asked signing if

1. it's a newly activated card used for first time
2. over 50
3. random security checking

but i'm curious why you would refuse to sign if it's your card?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3663 posts
1174 upvotes
Mars
redgrandam wrote: Think it USED to be $50, years ago. That's why I asked.. but you're right, it's $100 for that threshold. I'd imagine it's a bug or programming error on their system. You could email head office, they do reply to their emails.
i think some are still 50. depends on card and/or vendor maybe?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
mrwally wrote: +1 I've been asked for a signature every now and then...must just be a random security check.
I've always wondered how this is "security" in any way.
I mean... the signature panel has worn off my card and no one actually checks between them.
Even for those who do check, it's not like they're professional signature comparer, nor are they paid to be. If it's even remotely close it's close enough.

I mean....
https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments ... edit_card/

I think I might actually do that when I get a replacement card.
Why? Why not.

EDIT: Also this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080919003 ... edit_card/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7080 upvotes
West GTEH!
shoppingmatters wrote: Yes I did, she replied "it must be some setting on your credit card", and I said "I don't think so" and left it at that

Since I often use the credit card tap for under $100, this doesn't make any sense
forgetpwd wrote: you will be asked signing if

1. it's a newly activated card used for first time
2. over 50
3. random security checking

but i'm curious why you would refuse to sign if it's your card?
In my experience using tap & go I've never had to sign a receipt after I tapped my card.
1 time I tapped my card and the machine rejected it because it was over the tap limit. I then did the chip & pin process.
😎
Dec 25, 2009
163 posts
27 upvotes
forgetpwd wrote: i'm curious why you would refuse to sign if it's your card?
I didn't refuse the sign, was just asking what would take place next since already paid

I could sign anything (such as "farm girl") since they don't have the card to check my signature against
Apr 2, 2015
496 posts
423 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What credit card are you using? At Staples we had everyone who used Amex to sign.
Dec 25, 2009
163 posts
27 upvotes
HeyHowYaDoin wrote: What credit card are you using? At Staples we had everyone who used Amex to sign.
VISA, I don't think grocery stores take Amex
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7081 posts
5209 upvotes
shoppingmatters wrote: I didn't refuse the sign, was just asking what would take place next since already paid

I could sign anything (such as "farm girl") since they don't have the card to check my signature against
How about the signature on your credit card?

That's actually what they are supposed to check it against. And if it's blank, you might have to show drivers licence.

If you refuse or they suspect fraud, they don't just let you go with your purchase.

Perhaps some places don't care about a $78 transaction. But if you had a $5000 one they might actually follow procedures.
Dec 25, 2009
163 posts
27 upvotes
renoldman wrote: How about the signature on your credit card?

That's actually what they are supposed to check it against. And if it's blank, you might have to show drivers licence.
They don't have my credit card to check against, I tapped and put the card away, the transaction completed, and then the cashier handed me a receipt to sign
renoldman wrote: If you refuse or they suspect fraud, they don't just let you go with your purchase.

Perhaps some places don't care about a $78 transaction. But if you had a $5000 one they might actually follow procedures.
Do they refund you, since the transaction is completed? Do they then ask you to tap again to refund the purchase?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7081 posts
5209 upvotes
Here is what Mastercard says (note it's originally a PDF):

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=ca

So, yes they should be checking your card for a signature and compare your signature to what is on the card

Again, a store likely doesn't card about a $100 transaction. But a larger transaction will likely be handled more seriously.

They may say something but more likely they'll just let you go and report the unusual behaviour.

After that, your card/account may be flagged and you may not be able to make purchases.

That happens because they actually want to get paid.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)