Aug 5th-7th. Who's going?? :cheesygri
:arrow: JussB
GO LEAFS GO!

BBM pin 2B5A4B98
260 replies
Dec 14, 2010
403 posts
90 upvotes
I've never gone before and was wondering if its worth it to go?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5782 posts
1899 upvotes
If you like food and don't mind eating on the run.. You should go.
Dec 14, 2010
403 posts
90 upvotes
domo325 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2011 5:33 pm
If you like food and don't mind eating on the run.. You should go.

Loveeee food ahahah. I've gone to a few food fests this year and some were good while some not so for me...didnt realy like the taste of little india one that much. Would you say the taste if danforth is comparable to taste of italy in terms of size and food options?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2010
1249 posts
36 upvotes
berieberie wrote:
Aug 4th, 2011 5:25 pm
I've never gone before and was wondering if its worth it to go?

I enjoy it. You should consider going and if you enjoy walking around.
GO LEAFS GO!

BBM pin 2B5A4B98
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2008
905 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
i'll go but only because i live close by. i dont get why people stand in huge lines for food that they could get any other day of the year.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3370 posts
650 upvotes
on the links
Yup. Friday night after work. It's less crowded than Sat/Sun...you can actually get a table and sit down.

I've probably been to it for about the past 15 years or so.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4147 posts
660 upvotes
How are the prices? I went to taste of italy and was really disappointed. Prices were sky high. And they were just selling stuff I could get any day of the year. If it's like Night It Up where I could get unique foods, then it's worth it. Otherwise I feel I'm just going to get ripped off.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
1581 posts
60 upvotes
my favourite festival of the summer, i look forward to it every single year from the moment i leave the danforth! i really love greek food (and i'm not greek)...i think its a great opportunity to try bits and pieces of different greek foods. it does add up but its worth it to me. i suppose you could get it any day..but that defeats the purpose of the festival.

from what i remember, nearly everything is $5 or less, but you'll end up having at least 3-4 things before you fill up! unless you just have a pita...speaking of which, i love the one from Messini (i think) that has fries in the pitas...mmmm! you'll spot out this place easily because they have long lines!

it can be busy on saturday night..but i'm going anyway. don't mind all those 20 30 somethings greek men :lol:
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1244 posts
22 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote:
Aug 4th, 2011 9:39 pm
How are the prices? I went to taste of italy and was really disappointed. Prices were sky high. And they were just selling stuff I could get any day of the year. If it's like Night It Up where I could get unique foods, then it's worth it. Otherwise I feel I'm just going to get ripped off.

Pretty much expect the same. They know people will come and will raise prices accordingly.

So you are paying more and getting lower quality then the rest of the year. But it is an experience though with all the crowds and events going on.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18044 posts
3543 upvotes
Toronto
I went about 10 years ago and if I remembered one skewer of meat was $2 or $3. Has this been raised since then ?? I would not be surprised at all if they are going for $4 or $5 each (skewer).
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15786 posts
553 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
I go every year! It's like a 5 min bicycle ride =)
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6617 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
Always like the old ladies selling the baklava. Very polite and smiley and for a good cause.

I got some really good coconut cake one year.Only one stall had it. They also had a nice cheese filled pastry. Never saw this stall or these items again.

The gyro vendors remain the rudest. I always experience rudeness from the gyro vendor every year no matter which one I go to.

Usually the young chicks who think they are all that, but also from the grandpas too.

If I go this year will not buy gyros I guess. Try some of the other stuff I never tried before.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
980 upvotes
N/A
i think the last time i went was, 5 years ago?
we felt like having lamb, and went to several restaurants and none served lamb. it was on their regular menu, but we were told that for festivus, they weren't serving lamb, and only sticking to the chicken, beef and pork.
and maybe it's just me, but i would like to see more variety of greek food. seeing 80 stalls that sell souvlaki and baklava isn't all that interesting for me.

has it been different in more recent years?
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2010
1249 posts
36 upvotes
ippon wrote:
Aug 5th, 2011 2:07 pm
i think the last time i went was, 5 years ago?
we felt like having lamb, and went to several restaurants and none served lamb. it was on their regular menu, but we were told that for festivus, they weren't serving lamb, and only sticking to the chicken, beef and pork.
and maybe it's just me, but i would like to see more variety of greek food. seeing 80 stalls that sell souvlaki and baklava isn't all that interesting for me.

has it been different in more recent years?

I think Friendly Greek serves lamb...the last time I went.
GO LEAFS GO!

BBM pin 2B5A4B98