• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 10:34 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1196 posts
335 upvotes
That waterfront event looks like a shit show. Danforth nobody is saying is worth going to. So what now?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4528 posts
789 upvotes
Markham
badOne wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 2:06 pm
That waterfront event looks like a shit show. Danforth nobody is saying is worth going to. So what now?
No threads on the waterfront night market... Are you commenting in general from past experience?

Went to TOD this afternoon as I hadn't gone for a number of years and I was in the area. Pretty much same old same old. Not too busy as it was afternoon. They had a kicking horse coffee giveaway.... Whole can. By the time I went to the end and back, no more coffee to be had. They also had a Heinz ketchup giveaway... Whole bottle but I think you had to wait in line to take a picture or something. I don't need any ketchup so I didn't wait.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4381 posts
92 upvotes
GTA
waterfront market is a total fail.. could not have put it in a worse spot.. drove by, decided its not even worth the time to park

snap.. missed the gratis coffee at TOTD. Grabbed a gyro at Messini and a free clamato drink
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
4799 posts
880 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
That waterfront event looks like5 a shit show. Danforth nobody is saying is worth going to. So what now?
Stay home :)
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:18 am
lol calm down...if you don't want $5 corn, don't buy $5 corn. Apparently other people will though.
No. They'll just blame the weather instead of realizing that weather had nothing to do with the very idea that $4 would have been more profitable in the first place.
The ironic part of all this is that the $2 corn didn't jump to $3 with the excuse that there's $5 corn inside the TOTD.
(there are also two booths inside TOTD, one selling corn on the cob for only $2, and another charging $3)
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2177 posts
174 upvotes
I agree. I've gone every year when it was at T&T. Drove by it this afternoon and what a stupid location. Middle of nowhere. Talked to a neighbor who went Friday night
and said it was muddy and dark due to no lighting other than the vendors. Even without T&T as a sponsor why couldn't they have gone to the empty lot across the street??
Doesn't help with the media yelling shutdown due to fire code the day before.
ferkel wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 9:16 pm
waterfront market is a total fail.. could not have put it in a worse spot.. drove by, decided its not even worth the time to park

snap.. missed the gratis coffee at TOTD. Grabbed a gyro at Messini and a free clamato drink
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
Pochacco wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:02 am
Any good freebies this year?
Mostly the usual stuff, except someone gave away several orange frisbees. Free samples were scarce. Surprisingly, no free Greek Yogurt this year.

The best deal I think RFDers will really like is the coupon Nando's is offering: Spend $15 (before tax) and get $5 off. (Pape location, dine in only, offer expires August 31,2017)

Here's some of the others:
Clamato booth: A tiny cup of spicy Clamato (Loaded with ice) with a green bean in the cup.
A feta cheese sampling booth, but really not much more.
The rest is the same old same old Goodlife free bag or sunglasses,
Bell handing out something for smart phones, but nothing special.
Casharoo was dancing silly at Cash money as they gave away key chains and pens.

There may be some other freebies, but really nothing special...

Previous years were a lot better.

***NOTE: While not really free, D'angelo products are still a good deal: Pure Genius Iced tea is back again this year. $1 per can, but if you buy two you get a third for free. (3 for $2)
The Cheetah cans are in their own separate booth this year as a stand alone product (same pricing)...I guess they felt that would better make the product stand out...?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
4799 posts
880 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Sweetery Toronto?
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2504 posts
729 upvotes
Pochacco wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 4:55 pm
Sweetery Toronto?
That was terrible, went yesterday. Barely any booths and nothing special. The one macaron place I wanted to try only sold 9 at a time for $30.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb
Koodo flaming hot 6s deal

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1196 posts
335 upvotes
For freebies, the Heinz ketchup bottle with a picture of you stuck to it was the run-away winner. Free beer was pretty good too. Then I guess the feta cheese place.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4528 posts
789 upvotes
Markham
badOne wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 9:58 pm
For freebies, the Heinz ketchup bottle with a picture of you stuck to it was the run-away winner. Free beer was pretty good too. Then I guess the feta cheese place.
That Heinze lineup was long and it took too long to get a picture taken so I passed on it. The Kicking Horse freebie was the best as it was fast, people just pick up and go...the staffers there were smart, they just started piling the product on the table and that queue went quickly. Guessing they got to go home as soon as the product was gone!
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1196 posts
335 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 10:48 am
That Heinze lineup was long and it took too long to get a picture taken so I passed on it. The Kicking Horse freebie was the best as it was fast, people just pick up and go...the staffers there were smart, they just started piling the product on the table and that queue went quickly. Guessing they got to go home as soon as the product was gone!
The Clamato guys were equally smart - they were gone by 830pm. Looks like only the beer, Heinz and the winerack people were still around handing out samples late into the night. Great dealcoholized beer though.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2504 posts
729 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 12:08 pm
10 epic sweet and savoury treats from Toronto's dessert fest
http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2017/08 ... l-toronto/
What you see in the article is 90% of what was there. Also the 9 macaroons for $30

Prices were higher than going to bakeries at a lot of the booths too.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb
Koodo flaming hot 6s deal

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9421 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
There was that Jerk Chicken festival too. Glad I stayed home, had people over, bought a bunch of chicken legs/thighs for cheap, marinaded in jerk rub, slow grill, resulting in chicken that's probably as good or better than what you could buy at the festival, some other bbq foods, plenty of cheap beer store bought beer, comfort of home.

Judging by the reaction and amount of people talking about, TOD seems to have really declined. Last time I had a good time there was in 04 after work on a Friday. Just had a good vibe, the whole food festival scene was still limited, food was still cheap, some of the ol school greek restaurants were still around, although the Sushi and Thai places had already infiltrated it.