None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Tastygo.com - Huh?

I got a group deal email from these guys today, but I've never even heard of it. My guess is:

1. they bought a list from another group deals site that I've previously dealt with, or

2. they're one of the previously deceased group deals sites (perhaps CaptainSave?), resurrected under another name.

Anyone know which it is, and is there anything we can do to keep the group deal sites from sharing their mailing lists (assuming that option (1) is what happened)?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2007
1221 posts
127 upvotes
Mississauga
Looks like this place has been around for a while so I think it's legit (mostly western deals).

Personally I'd go on their facebook page and ask how they got their list of emails to spam with ;)
:arrow: I'LL BUY WAGJAG COUPON CODES! $5, $10 & $20 (from liking on FB or icoke - Paying 30% of coupon value by Paypal) - PM ME! :!:

My Ebay items for sale: HERE! :)
Dec 9, 2005
847 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
I'm getting them too, gmail sends them right to the spam folder. One is from Colin at tastygo. I signed up for a few daily deal sites earlier this year but have since unsubscribed from them, not even sure now who I was receiving emails from as I signed up for several but only bought deals from a couple of them.
Apr 20, 2005
947 posts
219 upvotes
I did use Captainsave and have been getting e-mails from Tastygo recently. Unsubscribed 3 times no success, plus I noticed them going to straight to SPAM so I highly doubt they're reputable.
Jan 25, 2012
2 posts
I'm another "victim" of these Tastygo emails. I noticed on the bottom right their "Dollars Saved" counter is actually fairly low (in the 10s of thousands), so it can't be THAT new. I have no idea where they came from, as I don't think I've used Captainsave. It's very possible it could've been a deal group that died and then came back under a different name. Teambuy maybe?
Dec 6, 2011
13 posts
exdevlin wrote:
Jan 26th, 2012 3:07 pm
I'm another "victim" of these Tastygo emails. I noticed on the bottom right their "Dollars Saved" counter is actually fairly low (in the 10s of thousands), so it can't be THAT new. I have no idea where they came from, as I don't think I've used Captainsave. It's very possible it could've been a deal group that died and then came back under a different name. Teambuy maybe?

Teambuy is still VERY alive and kicking...one of the bigger players left, so it's not them.

Most low-level daily deals sites start off with an email list purchased from another source (other deal site, contest sign ups, etc). It's not uncommon to start getting these emails from companies you have no affiliation with, especially if you signed up somewhere else where their privacy policy allows selling or "sharing" of your email address.

If they are just going to SPAM anyways, then whats the big deal?
Dec 21, 2009
232 posts
21 upvotes
Tastygo is not a scam. It is a smaller player who is currently only available in Vancouver and Toronto. I have recently purchased and used the $5 jamplay.com online guitar deal. I have used their customer service and it is excellent.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
coolcomputergirl wrote:
Jan 28th, 2012 7:09 am
Tastygo is not a scam. It is a smaller player who is currently only available in Vancouver and Toronto. I have recently purchased and used the $5 jamplay.com online guitar deal. I have used their customer service and it is excellent.

Ummmm .... so far you're the only one who's said anything about it being a scam (or not).

All we've been concerned with up to this point, is how they got hold of our email addresses.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Mar 16, 2005
57 posts
2 upvotes
I started getting these e-mails last week (for Calgary) and I am a little peeved that someone sold my e-mail address. It would have been one thing if they had sent an intro e-mail asking me if I wanted to sign up, but no they just started sending me their deal e-mails without my permission. Frankly, it makes me inclined to never buy from them.
Aug 26, 2004
669 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
Since I own a domain I often create email addresses for various sites.
The TastyGo notifications go to the address that I only used with Dealfind. I suspect that Dealfind sold them the info.

Just FYI, from Dealfind's "privacy" policy:
Dealfind.com may disclose personal information about Visitors or Customers, or information regarding your use of the Services or Web sites accessible through our Services, for any reason if, in our sole discretion, we believe that it is reasonable to do so
Classy.
Aug 26, 2004
669 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
Here's the reply I got from dealfind:
Hello,

Thank you for your email.

As stated, we do not give out customers personal information. It may have been entered on a different site as we are not affiliated with "TastyGo". We would also suggest that you look into the security on your computer.

Thank you for using Dealfind.
Jul 20, 2008
3 posts
Vancouver, B.C.
I have used TastyGo in Vancouver for a number of local food places. No problems so far.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2379 posts
165 upvotes
Canada
I ordered a product from them almost a month ago and still have not received it. I e-mailed them 5 days ago, and still have not gotten a response. I'll call them within the week and see if that works...
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2379 posts
165 upvotes
Canada
So I got my product... it looks ok.

The weird thing is, it was sent from China (the US company didn't send it). I went on the website and the prices were 50% of the USA Company website. But it was all in Chinese so I can't tell if it's a knock off website or not... I thought I got a deal on my product but it was normal pricing (but on sale) on the Chinese website... Weird.
× < >