Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Tastygo.com - Huh?

I got a group deal email from these guys today, but I've never even heard of it. My guess is:

1. they bought a list from another group deals site that I've previously dealt with, or

2. they're one of the previously deceased group deals sites (perhaps CaptainSave?), resurrected under another name.

Anyone know which it is, and is there anything we can do to keep the group deal sites from sharing their mailing lists (assuming that option (1) is what happened)?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2007
1226 posts
130 upvotes
Barrie/Toronto
Looks like this place has been around for a while so I think it's legit (mostly western deals).

Personally I'd go on their facebook page and ask how they got their list of emails to spam with ;)
My Ebay items for sale: HERE! :)
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
I'm getting them too, gmail sends them right to the spam folder. One is from Colin at tastygo. I signed up for a few daily deal sites earlier this year but have since unsubscribed from them, not even sure now who I was receiving emails from as I signed up for several but only bought deals from a couple of them.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2005
1289 posts
692 upvotes
I did use Captainsave and have been getting e-mails from Tastygo recently. Unsubscribed 3 times no success, plus I noticed them going to straight to SPAM so I highly doubt they're reputable.
Jan 25, 2012
2 posts
I'm another "victim" of these Tastygo emails. I noticed on the bottom right their "Dollars Saved" counter is actually fairly low (in the 10s of thousands), so it can't be THAT new. I have no idea where they came from, as I don't think I've used Captainsave. It's very possible it could've been a deal group that died and then came back under a different name. Teambuy maybe?
Dec 6, 2011
13 posts
exdevlin wrote: I'm another "victim" of these Tastygo emails. I noticed on the bottom right their "Dollars Saved" counter is actually fairly low (in the 10s of thousands), so it can't be THAT new. I have no idea where they came from, as I don't think I've used Captainsave. It's very possible it could've been a deal group that died and then came back under a different name. Teambuy maybe?

Teambuy is still VERY alive and kicking...one of the bigger players left, so it's not them.

Most low-level daily deals sites start off with an email list purchased from another source (other deal site, contest sign ups, etc). It's not uncommon to start getting these emails from companies you have no affiliation with, especially if you signed up somewhere else where their privacy policy allows selling or "sharing" of your email address.

If they are just going to SPAM anyways, then whats the big deal?
Dec 21, 2009
238 posts
24 upvotes
Tastygo is not a scam. It is a smaller player who is currently only available in Vancouver and Toronto. I have recently purchased and used the $5 jamplay.com online guitar deal. I have used their customer service and it is excellent.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
coolcomputergirl wrote: Tastygo is not a scam. It is a smaller player who is currently only available in Vancouver and Toronto. I have recently purchased and used the $5 jamplay.com online guitar deal. I have used their customer service and it is excellent.

Ummmm .... so far you're the only one who's said anything about it being a scam (or not).

All we've been concerned with up to this point, is how they got hold of our email addresses.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Mar 16, 2005
57 posts
2 upvotes
I started getting these e-mails last week (for Calgary) and I am a little peeved that someone sold my e-mail address. It would have been one thing if they had sent an intro e-mail asking me if I wanted to sign up, but no they just started sending me their deal e-mails without my permission. Frankly, it makes me inclined to never buy from them.
Aug 26, 2004
883 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
Since I own a domain I often create email addresses for various sites.
The TastyGo notifications go to the address that I only used with Dealfind. I suspect that Dealfind sold them the info.

Just FYI, from Dealfind's "privacy" policy:
[QUOTE]Dealfind.com may disclose personal information about Visitors or Customers, or information regarding your use of the Services or Web sites accessible through our Services, for any reason if, in our sole discretion, we believe that it is reasonable to do so
[/QUOTE]
Classy.
Aug 26, 2004
883 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
Here's the reply I got from dealfind:
[QUOTE]Hello,

Thank you for your email.

As stated, we do not give out customers personal information. It may have been entered on a different site as we are not affiliated with "TastyGo". We would also suggest that you look into the security on your computer.

Thank you for using Dealfind.
[/QUOTE]
Jul 20, 2008
3 posts
Vancouver, B.C.
I have used TastyGo in Vancouver for a number of local food places. No problems so far.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
259 upvotes
Vancouver
I ordered a product from them almost a month ago and still have not received it. I e-mailed them 5 days ago, and still have not gotten a response. I'll call them within the week and see if that works...
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
259 upvotes
Vancouver
So I got my product... it looks ok.

The weird thing is, it was sent from China (the US company didn't send it). I went on the website and the prices were 50% of the USA Company website. But it was all in Chinese so I can't tell if it's a knock off website or not... I thought I got a deal on my product but it was normal pricing (but on sale) on the Chinese website... Weird.
Jan 9, 2013
2 posts
Toronto
I have used all sorts of deal sites but this one has got to be the absolute WORST one I've ever dealt with. They've taken my money via credit card, taken MONTHS to send it but in between Customer Service has been non existent and non responsive. One day I got a $10 rebate but no email followed and no details in the rebate email defined why I got the rebate. I'm assuming it was because of the tardiness but you would think they would contact me to advise of the rebate, apologize for the tardiness or give me a status update. 4-6 weeks is typical when ordering anything via snail mail but 15-20 weeks, I am expecting them to contact me, especially if I'm emailing them once a week after the 6 week mark. DO NOT BUY FROM TASTYGO NO MATTER HOW CHEAP THE PRODUCT (fyi, the product I actually got didn't even work after all of that and they had to reimburse me the money they charged). NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!
Aug 8, 2013
1 posts
Celestopian wrote: I have used all sorts of deal sites but this one has got to be the absolute WORST one I've ever dealt with. They've taken my money via credit card, taken MONTHS to send it but in between Customer Service has been non existent and non responsive. One day I got a $10 rebate but no email followed and no details in the rebate email defined why I got the rebate. I'm assuming it was because of the tardiness but you would think they would contact me to advise of the rebate, apologize for the tardiness or give me a status update. 4-6 weeks is typical when ordering anything via snail mail but 15-20 weeks, I am expecting them to contact me, especially if I'm emailing them once a week after the 6 week mark. DO NOT BUY FROM TASTYGO NO MATTER HOW CHEAP THE PRODUCT (fyi, the product I actually got didn't even work after all of that and they had to reimburse me the money they charged). NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!
I concur with you. TastyGo's products, delivery, and customer service are all well below average. I made the mistake of buying a few products (and one computer service). The products were of the cheapest quality you can imagine (shipped straight from China), and don't even work...this after taking over 2 months to arrive, and countless messages to their 'customer service'. The computer service 'techy' returned my call over 2 weeks after I called to book an appointment. When we finally connected, I couldn't understand him...he couldn't understand me...and the 1 hour service thankfully went by quickly!! NEVER EVER AGAIN...TastyGo sucks big time!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5654 posts
2168 upvotes
I've purchased 3 things from TastyGo. Two I was satisfied with. Another was really disappointing. They all seem to be shipping from China. You can see Chinese characters on the shipping documents.

My first purchase was jewelry intended as a gift. Since I'm a cheapo at heart, I don't want to shell out thousands for real jewelry. I got one of those Swarovski "inspired" necklaces. Shipping took forever but otherwise the necklace wasn't bad. I'm no expert on jewelry but at the price I paid, I'm sure it's not real. But it looked fine for $9 + shipping. From a distance you can't really tell if it's fake or not. The person I gave the gift to was happy and that's all that matters. I would recommend this kind of purchase if you want a cheap gift for a girl (but probably not your wife/future wife).

My second purchase was a pair of sports pants. It was made in Korea actually. Quality was not shabby. Still wear them from time to time. $12 + shipping and worth it.

My last purchase was really disappointing. I got this transformable bag. It was made with crappy material. It broke after a month of use. It also looks a lot uglier than the picture.

So in summary, I think there's a lot of risk to buying their stuff. For their prices, sometimes it's worth the risk. Just set your expectations straight when you buy. You're not exactly buying high end products. And be prepared to wait for shipping. In all 3 cases it took longer than advertised.
Jan 2, 2014
1 posts
Take my advice....NEVER use Tastygo. I ordered an item that was to be for an Xmas gift I was assured it would arrive In 10 to 20 business days. Well after Christmas now the item has just been shipped from china.... 31 business days later. Contacted customer service they won't refund my money because it has been shipped, can't tell me when it will arrive and gave me $10 Tastygo dollars for the inconvenience. Like I would ever use their service again! When they have been contacted they keep telling me that the 10 to 20 business days does not include the time to get the item shipped. Avoid using them at all costs! They suck!!!!! I had visa charge the item back to Tastygo!!!!