Computers & Electronics

Tax and customs charged on a TV from the states?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2010 2:35 am
Tags:
None
Mar 10, 2006
95 posts

Tax and customs charged on a TV from the states?

Hi everyone, don't know if this is off topic but I would like to get a Samsung 52" TV in the States and drive it back to Toronto. Thing is I have no idea how much the tax and customs will be because I hear the taxes can get pretty ridiculous. If anyone can give me an accurate figure I'll appreciate it. For comparison the TV in the states is around $1200 USD while it's $1700 CAD at bestbuy. Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
crayonshinchan wrote: Hi everyone, don't know if this is off topic but I would like to get a Samsung 52" TV in the States and drive it back to Toronto. Thing is I have no idea how much the tax and customs will be because I hear the taxes can get pretty ridiculous. If anyone can give me an accurate figure I'll appreciate it. For comparison the TV in the states is around $1200 USD while it's $1700 CAD at bestbuy. Thanks!
PST and GST. Plus tax from the States...unless you file for a rebate.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
81 upvotes
Check the country of manufacture; many Sony & Panasonic sets are made in Mexico; anything built in Can/Mex/US = no duty due to NAFTA.

When I bought a Sony, it was just G/PST on the converted CDN$ value from the receipt, so with a dollar basically at par, you're looking at 13% of the purchase/ship price.

PS: There is no sales tax rebate from NY; you'll pay ~7% from Amazon, but also check their affiliates who don't necessarily charge the tax. I just ordered from Electronics Expo this morning. Order fulfillment and billing through Amazon, but no NY taxes ;)
Feb 23, 2008
886 posts
87 upvotes
for such a difference it may not be worth it especially if there is no warranty support.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)