Personal Finance

Tax deductions from past years

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2018 4:22 pm
Dec 7, 2018
2 posts

Tax deductions from past years

I've been working exclusively from home for about 4 years now and during this time I've never claimed any home office rental deduction. I pay $1500 per month in rent for my apartment and would estimate that roughly 25% of the area is used for home office. Am I allowed to include all of the 4 year deduction to my next year's tax submission? If not, how many years back can I go back?

Also, I've never claimed any post secondary tax deduction credits. I know these were stopped a few years back, but I went to university long before that (2005-2009). Am I allowed to still claim these?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1811 posts
2410 upvotes
BC
tck999 wrote: Am I allowed to include all of the 4 year deduction to my next year's tax submission? If not, how many years back can I go back?

Also, I've never claimed any post secondary tax deduction credits. I know these were stopped a few years back, but I went to university long before that (2005-2009). Am I allowed to still claim these?
No you can't deduct all 4 previous years in one year, each year stands on its own so you have adjust each year's return.

You can go back 10 years to request that your return be adjusted. Since one of the years is beyond the normal 3 year limitation for CRA to reassess it will be done under the Fairness Provisions. The difference between the 2 procedures is that under Fairness Provisions, it is the CRA's discretion to allow it but in most cases CRA treats it as a normal reassessment. Information on the Fairness Provisions are here: Fairness Provisions, Since you are adjusting your returns you can claim anything that you previously did not claim as long as you have all supporting documentation for it.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1983 posts
794 upvotes
Kitchener
are you working from home as a self employed individual or is this a work from home situation but your considered an employee of a company? If its the latter you'd need your employer to provide a T1022 form for you to be able to claim anything

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)