Careers

Tax preparation clinic vs CVITP (Community Volunteer Income Tax Program )

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2017 12:39 pm
[OP]
May 3, 2016
335 posts
24 upvotes

Tax preparation clinic vs CVITP (Community Volunteer Income Tax Program )

What's the difference between the two?

I won't be available until late March, is it too late for the tax season? I have some knowledge of income tax but certainly needs training to help prepare others tax returns.

If I'm too late for this tax season, when should I start to sign up for next year's?
5 replies
Feb 27, 2007
336 posts
127 upvotes
Montreal
Only see your post today. For next year:

1. "Tax preparation clinic" can be a generic term. CVITP is an abbreviation for a specific government volunteer program.
2. If u register as volunteer directly with government, government require 1 or 2 days per week for all weeks in March and April. However, if u look for organization yourself, u can negotiate # of days that u will work. Your schedule of working April only could be acceptable to some organizations.

Registration as CVITP volunteer for TY2016 was from ?/10/16 to 19/1/17. Training was from early Feb to mid March. Next year, u can call government co-ordinator directly, phone # in tax guide or google (work 1-2 days/week for 2 months). Else, u better google now to check for organizations near u, get in touch with them and register as volunteer through them next year. Have fun!
[OP]
May 3, 2016
335 posts
24 upvotes
Thank you for your information.

Is the training at this volunteer program good and can help me get a part time tax preparer position (if that is an option), say after a few years of volunteering? I'm not in the tax field, thought about taking the H&R block course but didn't. However, I'd love to be a volunteer first and get the free training.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2010
1754 posts
258 upvotes
wyho007 wrote: Thank you for your information.

Is the training at this volunteer program good and can help me get a part time tax preparer position (if that is an option), say after a few years of volunteering? I'm not in the tax field, thought about taking the H&R block course but didn't. However, I'd love to be a volunteer first and get the free training.
Training is okay. Decent for showing the basics of common forms and UFile. However, it should be noted that CVITP has limits on certain types of returns and income. There's a limit to the client's income level depending on their situation. Also, volunteers cannot prepare returns for anyone who has business or capital gains income. They also cannot prepare returns for deceased individuals.

I would argue your volunteer experience will help you down the road as training just provides the core basics. I volunteered at my university and a local community centre in the past. Some clients may have specific queries, so you will likely be using the CRA website and hotline for better guidance. In my experience, I learned more at the community centre due to the variety of clients there. My university had more student volunteers than actual clients who showed up. Also depends on the day and organization you volunteer in.
[OP]
May 3, 2016
335 posts
24 upvotes
~SauFung wrote: Training is okay. Decent for showing the basics of common forms and UFile. However, it should be noted that CVITP has limits on certain types of returns and income. There's a limit to the client's income level depending on their situation. Also, volunteers cannot prepare returns for anyone who has business or capital gains income. They also cannot prepare returns for deceased individuals.

I would argue your volunteer experience will help you down the road as training just provides the core basics. I volunteered at my university and a local community centre in the past. Some clients may have specific queries, so you will likely be using the CRA website and hotline for better guidance. In my experience, I learned more at the community centre due to the variety of clients there. My university had more student volunteers than actual clients who showed up. Also depends on the day and organization you volunteer in.
Thank you!

As mentioned, I have no intention to make a living in tax preparation but will prefer to get in touch with different tax situations even as a volunteer. So, I'd think community centre fits me better. Do you mind to share which community centre you volunteered at?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2010
1754 posts
258 upvotes
wyho007 wrote: Thank you!

As mentioned, I have no intention to make a living in tax preparation but will prefer to get in touch with different tax situations even as a volunteer. So, I'd think community centre fits me better. Do you mind to share which community centre you volunteered at?
Dixie Bloor Neighbourhood Centre. Everyone's experiences will vary in terms of exposure.