Personal Finance

Tax Question - Student claiming moving expenses

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2013 4:50 pm
Jul 13, 2009
30 posts

Tax Question - Student claiming moving expenses

Does anyone have an experience with claiming moving expenses for moving to another city to go to university full-time?

According to the CRA website, you can claim travel expenses (e.g., mileage, hotel expenses, meals) based on a simplified or detailed method. ... 6-236/219/

I also understand that if you are away from home, in another province for full-time university, that you do not need to change your address and can continue filing taxes in your home province. (Ex: If you are from Alberta, but studying in BC, you can keep your AB driver's license, health care, etc.) As a student, I will be renting and will not likely remain at the same address over the course of my studies in BC. For that reason, it is easier to keep my parents' address in AB.

Here's my question: If I move to BC for university, but keep my AB home residence, can I claim the moving costs I would have incurred when I first moved to BC without changing my permanent residence to BC? Or am I just asking to be audited by claiming the move without changing my permanent residence address?

Any tips would be much appreciated!
2 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3299 posts
First, make sure you qualify. Are you in receipt of the income in bold below?

[QUOTE]You can claim eligible moving expenses if you moved to study courses as a student in full-time attendance at a university, college or other educational institution that offers courses at a post-secondary school level. However, you can only deduct these expenses from the part of your scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, certain prizes, and research grants that is required to be included in your income.[/QUOTE]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21292 posts
You would have to find the interpretation of "ordinarily reside." FWIW you can only deduct from L130, its not a valuable credit for most.