Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 14, 2007
144 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa

Tax refund question: Live in Ontario but work in Quebec

Hi, I live in Ottawa Ontario but I work in Hull Quebec. How do I get tax refund from Quebec income taxes? As I know, Quebec income taxes is much higher than Ontario.
My employer give me a T4 and Releve 1, but after I fill out the form by QuickTax, I get like 1.5k refund. However, by using this online calculators,

http://lsminsurance.ca/calculators/canada/income-tax

I should get like at least 3k excluding QPIP Contributions or RPP Contributions. My tax refund is very simple, I only have ONE income, I am single without any investment (RRSP, stock, and fund). Am I misunderstand anything?

Thanks for your help!!
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5376 posts
227 upvotes
Calgary
might want to check on this but i think since your main residence is in ontrario you could just pay ontario taxes which would probably save you money since quebec is the highest in canada...
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1755 posts
173 upvotes
Kitchener
If you filled in both the T4 and the RL-1 (Releve 1) properly in Quicktax, your refund should be calculated properly... there aren't any other tips or tricks if I remember correctly.

Make sure you choose Ontario as your province of residence on the first page of the T1.
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
Feb 6, 2009
191 posts
5 upvotes
I had the same situation.

I did my returns by hand, no computer. It's not going to be possible to get it perfect as you're filling out an Ontario return using a Quebec slip; the CRA needs to make final corrections for you and will return the extra cash that Quebec took.

If it's a continuing issue, send me a message and I'll look at my older returns to see how I dealt with the releve issue and what the CRA did.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2007
144 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa
cadave wrote:
Feb 25th, 2009 12:40 am
If you filled in both the T4 and the RL-1 (Releve 1) properly in Quicktax, your refund should be calculated properly... there aren't any other tips or tricks if I remember correctly.

Make sure you choose Ontario as your province of residence on the first page of the T1.
That is exactly what my girl friend did few years ago who also live in Ottawa but work in Quebec (Hull). Her income is like 50k every year, but she only get back around $500 refund each year. Few year later, CRA said she get too much refund (?!) and asked her to provide all the income statement last few years. At the end, after CRA make final corrections, and she get back around $9000 refund!!! (funny thing is she has to pay income taxes on her $9000 refund).

Anyway, I don't want to make this mistake again. I was plan to ask H&R Block to do the return for me, but I am bit worry about their service quality. Any suggestion?

BTW, my agency is at Barrie.

Thanks,
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1311 posts
492 upvotes
I live in Ottawa and work in Quebec. I do my taxes using StudioTax and it does it all for me.. (T4 and Rel1)
Aug 6, 2001
526 posts
3 upvotes
Do you work for the gov't? If so, they likely already are only deducting the tax amount for an Ontario resident. I too live in Ottawa, but work in Quebec. As an Ontario resident they calculate my deductions for Ontario, not Quebec, so like you, I only get a small refund. If your employer didn't take your Ontario residence into account, then you are right, you should have a much larger refund.

As an Ontario resident, I don't believe you need to fill out any Quebec forms. Just include the amounts you paid to Quebec on your T1.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1311 posts
492 upvotes
^ you should fill out the Rel1 anyways since it has the Quebec benfits that you're paying as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6775 posts
271 upvotes
Ottawa
Why don't you do it by hand and submit all your slips in like another poster suggested. Any corrections will be done by CRA right away. Yes, you have to wait like 8 weeks for your refund but at least you know you did it right.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2007
144 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa
sockboy wrote:
Feb 25th, 2009 10:42 am
Do you work for the gov't? If so, they likely already are only deducting the tax amount for an Ontario resident. I too live in Ottawa, but work in Quebec. As an Ontario resident they calculate my deductions for Ontario, not Quebec, so like you, I only get a small refund. If your employer didn't take your Ontario residence into account, then you are right, you should have a much larger refund.

As an Ontario resident, I don't believe you even need to use the Releve 1 - all of the amounts you paid are included on the T4.

Yes, I work for Federal Gov in Hull.

In my bi-weekly payroll, I have to pay CPP/QPP/QPIP (quebec taxes). I am pretty sure I am paying Quebec income taxes. I only have one income, it should be very simple. I fill out my T4 and Releve 1 on quicktax last night, it said I am getting $500 refund with around 55k annual income. It looks too less for me.
Aug 6, 2001
526 posts
3 upvotes
Hmm, even though I work in Quebec, I don't pay QPP, although I do pay QPIP - which I include as an EI overpayment. I also pay Quebec Taxes, but just include it with income tax deducted, and then attach the Rel1 to my taxes. I don't fill out any special Quebec forms. I am doing my taxes on paper which maybe is more straightforward.
Aug 6, 2001
526 posts
3 upvotes
Well something has gone wacky with mine this year! I owe $3000!! This is living in Ontario, and working in Quebec. I triple checked everything, it seems that they were taking off way too little on each pay cheque (I used the link posted on this thread, and they didn't take off close to that). I wonder if they changed something this year. I will get them to make changes for next year.
Jul 2, 2008
8 posts
Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks for posting the question OP...I had been pulling my hair out on quicktax for the last 2 hours trying to get it to work out. HUGE thanks to 240sxer for suggesting Studiotax to us. I just downloaded it and I was done my return in 15 minutes. Very intuative program, much easier- and free to boot!
Seems like the gov is treating this tax situation different for different Public Service groups? I am only getting a few hundred back- not the $$$ I was expecting so I went back and looked at my tax rate and it appears they lowered the tax withheld to come into line with Ontario for me. Huh.

Thanks again RFDers!
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2007
1712 posts
236 upvotes
I wish they would do the reverse for QC residents that work in ON. They only took ON tax out of my pay and my compensation advisor didn't action my request for extra deductions quick enough. I owe over $11k this year. I've got it aside, but does this mean that they will try to make me pay installments next year? I've got the deduction thing figured out now, so won't be short next year so would rather not pay installments.

Laura
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3425 posts
140 upvotes
audiorichard wrote:
Feb 25th, 2009 10:19 am
That is exactly what my girl friend did few years ago who also live in Ottawa but work in Quebec (Hull). Her income is like 50k every year, but she only get back around $500 refund each year. Few year later, CRA said she get too much refund (?!) and asked her to provide all the income statement last few years. At the end, after CRA make final corrections, and she get back around $9000 refund!!! (funny thing is she has to pay income taxes on her $9000 refund).

Anyway, I don't want to make this mistake again. I was plan to ask H&R Block to do the return for me, but I am bit worry about their service quality. Any suggestion?

BTW, my agency is at Barrie.

Thanks,
thats not right. the $9000 is excess tax that you get back. it`s not income and should not be taxed
× < >