Cell Phones

tbaytel prepaid data - $125 for 20GB with 365 day expiry?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 5:24 pm
[OP]
Oct 23, 2013
21 posts
36 upvotes

tbaytel prepaid data - $125 for 20GB with 365 day expiry?

$100 for 20GB ($5 per GB) with 365 day expiry.
"Data packages expire when their data bucket reaches zero or 365 days, whichever comes first." No monthly fee on "by the minute" plans.

http://www.tbaytel.net/personal/mobilit ... p-personal

Anybody know how to get a tbaytel prepaid sim without travelling to Thunder Bay? Where can you buy a Tbaytel prepaid SIM online?
Apparently data is available to be used anywhere on Rogers network in Canada.

FAQ (added July 13 2015)
tbaytel-prepaid-data-100-20gb-365-day-e ... st22998589

Who do I contact to get the SIM card and get it activated if I'm not in Thunder Bay?
You'll need to do your own research in this thread to find out how to get the sim. Please see question about why this deal should be kept quiet. Sorry, PMs asking me will go unanswered.

Why do you want to keep this deal quiet?
Tbaytel expects mostly local Thunder Bay customers and low percentage of data usage on Rogers network; higher than expected roaming data usage may cause tbaytel to investigate and then kill or change the deal. The point of RFD is to save ppl money. Either max # of ppl getting on a deal or max $ total savings as a collective. After 1 day posted in Hot deals the 'heat' is on and tbaytel is cracking down VS flying under radar for YEARS and continuing to save ppl money slowly but surely to not arouse suspicion from tbaytel. This thread in Hot Deals not only threatens new users but existing users who are enjoying it. Slow, steady, and controlled in Cell Phones section is what has made this deal have staying power. -ssiu, Kursor17

How can I help keep this deal quiet and low profile with Tbaytel?
Minimize or dont call the Tbaytel call centre. You should be able to fully setup and maintain your account online without ever calling the call centre. Calling them simply raises suspicions.

Some of the past deals were killed because of massive abuse. For example...
- Wind Mobile Unlimited Data
- 7-11 Speak Out Unlimited Web Browsing
- Kindle Keyboard 3G Unlimited Data Worldwide

These are just a few out of many deals that were killed due to overexposure. -Kursor17

Why is this so great?
Best value for mobile data. 20GB for $100 with 1 year expiry ($5/GB). Since it's prepaid, if you use up the 20GB before the year is up, you can always buy more data. Next best are Tablet Flex LTE Data Plans from the Big 3/Flankers at 1GB for $20-25/month, 5GB for $35-40/month. -Kursor17

I'm going to Thunder Bay or have a friend there. How can they get a Prepaid SIM for me?
Get them to go to a Tbaytel store. Tbaytel will require: Full Name, IMEI, and Phone Make and Model. Phone Make and Model MUST match to the IMEI you give them. Please don't be stupid and give them a blacklisted IMEI/Phone. -Kursor17

Can I port my number to Tbaytel (eg GTA number into my Tbaytel)?
No. -Kursor17

That sucks, if I can't port my current number into Tbaytel, this plan is useless to me since people would pay long distance to call me.
Go to each of the Big 3 & FLanker's web-sites. Most if not all offer Nationwide calling. Long Distance charges is a thing of the past. -Kursor17

What do I do with my current phone number (eg GTA #), since I can't port it into my Tbaytel account?
Some people port their current phone number to a VOIP provider like Fongo or VOIP.MS. Then use their phone number over data.
Others use a dual SIM phone and port their number to 7-11 Speak Out (25 cents/min incoming/outgoing). -Kursor17

Is Fongo or VOIP reliable for voice calls?
That's up for debate. Dedicated voice will always be more reliable over VOIP over mobile data. VOIP will be unreliable in highly congested areas/times and while driving. -Kursor17

I got a Tbaytel Prepaid account. Should I update my personal info under prepaid.tbaytel.net account management portal?
DO NOT add any further Contact details under 'Personal Info'. Eg Adding your Contact Number will get you banned at Tbaytel. You're basically telling Tbaytel, hey look at me, I'm not in Thunder Bay, please ban me. -Kursor17

When does data expire?
When the data bucket reaches zero or 365 days after subscription or account expiry, whichever comes first. No carryforward.

But wait! Try this!

So, here are the exact details. I had 3.36 gigs left over from the original 20 gig purchase. I also had $7.80 left in the account. The expiration on my top up was January 16, 2016 at 09:30am. At 10:30am on January 16, 2016, I logged in and as expected the system says I have expired my account. I went ahead and added $100 ($113 with HST) and topped up 10 gigs of data (new total was 13.36 gigs) which changed my expiry to January 15, 2017, 10:33:38am (system is accurate to the second, took me about 3 minutes to complete the transaction). I have no clue why I lost a day but I am NOT going call in to complain given that it really doesn't matter. My cash total is now $37.80, which means the $7.80 carried over as well. So, for those who don't want to wait more than a second after expiry, you don't have to. -will888

So my unused data totally rolled over.
I had almost 12GB left of the 20GB I originally purchased for $100 in March of 2015. I topped up with $100 for another 365 days on the expiry just a couple days before the account expiry March 2016, and my data bucket shows 11.94GB with an expiry of March 2017.
I'm not even going to touch the $100 I topped up with and save it for next year or unless I run out of data this year.
-sickens, confirmed by G0DKING

Are there roaming charges outside of Thunder Bay?
No, as long as you remain connected to the Tbaytel or Rogers network on this data plan (within Canada).

Do you get a LTE sim card?
Yes, from my own experience.

Does this plan allow access to LTE network?
No, it is HSPA. Around 10/1 speed. Note that LTE sim card does not mean you will get LTE speed.

Do sim cards only work on the phone’s whose IMEI was used to activate the sim card?
No, IMEI doesn’t affect the SIM card.

What are some of the fees are we talking about?
SIM(micro/nano) + mail + $100 + tax for plan (no other monthly fees like 911).

After I've bought my 20GB for $100+Tax, do I need to maintain a positive account balance? In other words, will accounts with $0 balance expire in 4 months?
No. Confirmed by 'Gee' that he left his account at $0 after purchasing 20GB data for greater than 4 months and his account was not closed. It's four months after expiry date. For example, if 20 gig data add on is purchased resulting in a $100 top up being completely used up, the 4 month clock is still pushed forward a year. This caveat will help to put at ease those concerned about the need to keep a positive monetary balance to stop the 4 month expiry clock. Although, there's no harm in adding another $10 top up, just to be sure. -Kursor17, will888

What is “add-on expiry date”?
Add-on expiry date removes any dollar balance and any data or text add-on balances and is set by the amount of your last top-up.

What is “account deactivation date”?
Account deactivation date is 4 months of having a $0 balance and would be when tbaytel disables your number/account and possibly redistributes it to a new customer.

Will it work on Rogers locked phone?
It should.

If you top up twice (different amounts), when does it expire?
The longer of the two top up expiry dates. The longer expiry date will always be kept.

Does tethering work?
Yes, my oneplus works perfectly.

After top-up, what do I do?
Add the data add-on. Otherwise, you will be charged 1 cent per 100 kb.

Should I be reliant on this in the long run?
No. So if you want something in the long run, stop pursuing and move on. -will888

How much is it to make a call?
40 cents per min outgoing, 20 cents per min incoming. -Kursor17

I can't seem to add more data! Why is that? When can I add more data?
When you have 200mb left, you can start adding more.

Does roaming need to be on?
No.

Where do I add funds?
Here.

Top Up Amounts - Expires
$10 - 30 Days
$25- 60 Days
$50- 90 Days
$75 - 150 Days
$100 - 365 Days

*Account balances ($) can be carried forwarded if top up occurs before your expiry date as per the CRTC link. -Kursor17

What is the password?
Default password is 1234. -can2000

Can I use it on ASUS Zenfone 2?
Have tbaytel sim card in 3G slot. The other is 2G and is provided by Rogers.

How does this prepaid account work?
In general, prepaid accounts are the same across all carriers. Eg. account balances carry fwd if topped up before expiry date.
Check the two links below for general questions about prepaid accounts.
http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/questions/138.aspx
http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/

What's Fongo? How does it work?
Fongo thread: tbaytel-prepaid-data-125-20gb-365-day-e ... e-1139985/

I get calls from Thunder Bay (807 area code) phone numbers I DO NOT recognize. What should I do?
Don't answer. Ignorance is bliss.
Thread Summary
20GB for $125 with 1 year expiry
Nationwide free roaming on Rogers HSPA+
Typical Speed: 10Mbps Download. 1.5Mbps Upload.
5,000 Outgoing Text Messages for $15
$100 Top up extends account expiry AND rollsover existing data fwd 1 year

Example:
Top up:
$100 top up - > Extends Expiry 1 Year
$25 top up - > Extends Expiry ADDITIONAL (stacks) 2 months
New Expiry - 14 months

Buy Data Add on:
20GB for $125
20GB data expires 1 year

Account Balance: $0
Air Time Bucket: 0 min
SMS Bucket: 0
Account Expires: 14 months

Top up:
Again to use voice and outgoing text messages
Incoming: 20 cents/minute
Outgoing: 40 cents/minute

"Prepaid accounts with a $0.00 balance for at least four (4) months will be deactivated by Tbaytel.

After the Top-Up expires, there is a 7 day grace period to Top-Up again to retain previous balances, Add- Ons, etc.. If a Top-Up is not done within the 7 day grace period, the account will be cleared and Data Add-Ons will be lost."

https://prepaid.tbaytel.net/mhspaprepaid/login.aspx

No phone # port in
Dual SIM phone or port in existing phone # to VOIP provider
Optional: Call fwd calls from VOIP to Tbaytel #

Tbaytel Prepaid account registration requirements:
Name
Phone Brand & Model
IMEI # (used for registration only, can use any phone with account)

ANY Rogers compatible phone/tablet

Where to buy the sim:
IN-STORE at a Tbaytel dealer in Northern Ontario.
RFD BST section of someone is slim theirs
A RFD member with a sources in Tbaytel

Top up using call in method: It has been reported that top up online may not work for some accounts. An alternate method for top up is by calling their toll free number. 1-855-814-5470. Confirmed by @CanadaGooseForumAdmin.
3547 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3462 posts
416 upvotes
Have a look on ebay... Not sure if they would have any or not
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
981 upvotes
N/A
Jimboski wrote:
Oct 25th, 2013 3:04 am
Any where outside of Thunder Bay you would be roaming according to the coverage map so i don't think this is a feasible option.
i didn't think roaming applied to data.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
1761 posts
47 upvotes
Markham, ON
ippon wrote:
Oct 25th, 2013 3:30 am
i didn't think roaming applied to data.
Roaming in Canada (on Rogers Network).
1¢/200KB
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9934 posts
2354 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
aingaran wrote:
Oct 25th, 2013 3:49 am
Roaming in Canada (on Rogers Network).
1¢/200KB
I think that is their overage rate, not their roaming rate. From their website:
Travelling Within Canada
When travelling in Canada, you will not incur roaming charges as long you remain connected to the Tbaytel or Rogers network (airtime and long distance charges apply). Sometimes, when travelling in close proximity to a US border, your device may connect to nearby US cellular networks. Inadvertently doing so will incur applicable roaming charges for these US networks. To safeguard against this, many devices have a setting which will prompt you while roaming. Refer to your device's user manual for details.
http://www.tbaytel.net/personal/mobilit ... /usingdata

If one doesn't mind using a workaround like getting a FPL number in your local area code and then forwarding all inbound calls to your TBay number (and giving that FPL number out as your cell number) this becomes and pretty attractive option.

Edit:
I see the roaming rates I looked at were likely for postpaid. The roaming section under prepaid prepaid section does say roaming in Canada is "1¢/200KB or data plan"

Not sure exactly how to interpret that "or data plan" part. It could mean that it is 1¢/200KB on prepaid only if you don't have a data plan but otherwise data is charged at your dataplan rates, which in this case is $100/20GB.

Edit2:
and now that I look more, I think it is no roaming charges. Their prepaid rates pages also says, for domestic data, "1¢/200KB
or Data Add-On", so that is identical to their roaming charges description. I think no charges for data roaming as long as you have a data plan.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
[OP]
Oct 23, 2013
21 posts
36 upvotes
I was thinking more along the lines of a Seven Eleven 7/11 Speakout replacement now that Speakout has terrible data options. Using tbaytel prepaid with a Fongo number results in $100 per year with 20GB of data from what I understand. Using fongo means I wouldn't care if I had a ThunderBay TBay number. I would go for this but won't drive to TBay just to buy a sim. I don't use much voice... mainly data.

This is the data plan Seven Eleven Speakout should have released.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1585 posts
302 upvotes
Gatineau
wow this is a good deal if it rly works! $5 - 1GB good deal!
Feb 27, 2007
180 posts
25 upvotes
Montreal
cheapred wrote:
Oct 25th, 2013 8:31 am
I was thinking more along the lines of a Seven Eleven 7/11 Speakout replacement now that Speakout has terrible data options. Using tbaytel prepaid with a Fongo number results in $100 per year with 20GB of data from what I understand. Using fongo means I wouldn't care if I had a ThunderBay TBay number. I would go for this but won't drive to TBay just to buy a sim. I don't use much voice... mainly data.

This is the data plan Seven Eleven Speakout should have released.
Totally agree, wish 7-11 offered this!! Called tbaytel, no additional roaming charges for both data and SMS buckets, within Canada on Rogers Network. 807 phone# only. Need to be physically there for activation. $20 fee, sim card included. ANY Rogers phone MAY not be compatible. Future topup can be done through tbaytel's automated system via phone or web with credit card.

10GB($55) may be sufficient for me. Furthermore, their Canadian SMS buckets $10 to send 2500 SMS looks very interesting too. If it's not winter, I may team up with a friend to drive there.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9934 posts
2354 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Someone living in TBay could make a killing opening accts to TOR out to people in the rest of Canada. Anyone who hardly uses voice or is 100% data and/or can use VOIP or using a cellular tablet could benefit from this plan.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
1761 posts
47 upvotes
Markham, ON
MontrealPost wrote:
Oct 25th, 2013 3:49 pm
Totally agree, wish 7-11 offered this!! Called tbaytel, no additional roaming charges for both data and SMS buckets, within Canada on Rogers Network. 807 phone# only. Need to be physically there for activation. $20 fee, sim card included. ANY Rogers phone MAY not be compatible. Future topup can be done through tbaytel's automated system via phone or web with credit card.

10GB($55) may be sufficient for me. Furthermore, their Canadian SMS buckets $10 to send 2500 SMS looks very interesting too. If it's not winter, I may team up with a friend to drive there.
The $10 for 2500 SMS is a monthly fee.
Only the data is a one-time fee.
At least that's how I'm reading it.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44302 posts
3276 upvotes
Toronto
aingaran wrote:
Oct 25th, 2013 5:03 pm
Yeah it's like buying data and or texting for 365 days but you have to top up a lot to get it to last that long otherwise your credit/account will expire.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9934 posts
2354 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
aingaran wrote:
Oct 25th, 2013 5:03 pm
If one is OK not using the voice/text service from TBaytel, then using a VOIP service like fongo is an option. They offer texting now too (I think $4/month). That way you would have a "local" number for calls and texts but have full Rogers data network access.
[OP]
Oct 23, 2013
21 posts
36 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Oct 25th, 2013 5:05 pm
Yeah it's like buying data and or texting for 365 days but you have to top up a lot to get it to last that long otherwise your credit/account will expire.
I don't understand your concern. I'm looking at going on prepaid by-the-minute and buying a $100 20GB data add on and then putting $10 for my balance. No monthly charges on by-the-minute plan and from the tbaytel webpage "Prepaid accounts with a $0.00 balance for at least four (4) months will be deactivated by Tbaytel." should not kick in with the $10 in my account.