Tbaytel Prepaid powered by Rogers - $150 for 20GB with 365 Day Expiry

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2024 11:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5621 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto
guys, anyway to change this plan by calling in to a toronto number? anyone have it done?

would be pretty awesome if you can get a toronto number and the texting addon :D

btw i got the sim, data is fast but there are no reliable options for calling/texting in terms of an app and using a thunderbay number is a hassle for friends.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
Gotoff wrote: guys, anyway to change this plan by calling in to a toronto number? anyone have it done?

would be pretty awesome if you can get a toronto number and the texting addon :D

btw i got the sim, data is fast but there are no reliable options for calling/texting in terms of an app and using a thunderbay number is a hassle for friends.
Nope, that's the downfall of this plan.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Gotoff wrote: using a thunderbay number is a hassle for friends.
Get a freephoneline.ca phone number from Toronto.
Have it set to call forward to your Thunderbay number.
Give out the Toronto number to your friends.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5621 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto
alkizmo wrote: Get a freephoneline.ca phone number from Toronto.
Have it set to call forward to your Thunderbay number.
Give out the Toronto number to your friends.
they'd still be charged with long distance right?, and what do i do about texting, can you forward that as well?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2008
1575 posts
1616 upvotes
Ontario
I am in Thunder Bay if people want to PM me that are interested in potentially taking advantage of this deal.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2003
1709 posts
12 upvotes
Earth
imeis are easy to come by...lol

i wanted to get this deal but i ended up doing wind mobile $35.00 a month air card and the sims i swap between my laptop and ipad air.

i may take one of these after i see what my consumption is monthly after 1-2 months.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
shivash39 wrote: imeis are easy to come by...lol

i wanted to get this deal but i ended up doing wind mobile $35.00 a month air card and the sims i swap between my laptop and ipad air.

i may take one of these after i see what my consumption is monthly after 1-2 months.
No you have to bring an actual phone for them to activate the SIM on i think.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
dtych wrote: I am in Thunder Bay if people want to PM me that are interested in potentially taking advantage of this deal.
Sign me up.

I suggest you go to a store first and find someone that will help you with this. Find out exactly what information they want etc.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Gotoff wrote: they'd still be charged with long distance right?
No because they'd be calling a local phone number. With freephoneline.ca you can pick the city/area code for your phone number.
Gotoff wrote: what do i do about texting, can you forward that as well?
Well, now that I think about it, considering this is a data only package, maybe it would be best to go completely VoIP.
Fongo offers such an app for android and ios. It's VoIP, so you pick your number, and has unlimited SMS for 1.99$/month if I am not mistaken. So you can send and receive SMS from the app, using your VoIP phone number (local).
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1674 posts
268 upvotes
alkizmo wrote:

Well, now that I think about it, considering this is a data only package, maybe it would be best to go completely VoIP.
Fongo offers such an app for android and ios. It's VoIP, so you pick your number, and has unlimited SMS for 1.99$/month if I am not mistaken. So you can send and receive SMS from the app, using your VoIP phone number (local).
This is exactly what I am doing right now. I use Fongo for phone and text ($9.99/6 months). Think of it this way, you are paying $100+$20 for 1 full year of call/text and data including Canadian long distance (That's $10/month of voice/text/data). This is enough for most people's need unless you are streaming video every day or you have no internet at home and uses more than 1.5gb of data per month. And let's say you are a fairly heavy user and you used up your 20gb in 6 months, so you buy another 20gb for $100 and that's still only $20/month. Nothing is cheaper than this and since it is on Rogers network and there is no roaming for data, you can use your phone anything in Canada, what more do you want?

Granted there are times when Fongo connection is not ideal, I got echo happening either on my end or the other end. But a lot of the time, I just redial and the connection clear up for me. For personal use, I have no problem with this slight inconvenience for the price I am paying.

I set a different ring tone between Fongo and the TBTel number so I know NOT to pick up calls from TBTel as they are $0.40/min and I never give out that number so I know any call I receive from that number is junk call.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2003
1709 posts
12 upvotes
Earth
U just did the math for me and i am gonna jump in this and retire my new WIND plan lol.
redflag999 wrote: This is exactly what I am doing right now. I use Fongo for phone and text ($9.99/6 months). Think of it this way, you are paying $100+$20 for 1 full year of call/text and data including Canadian long distance (That's $10/month of voice/text/data). This is enough for most people's need unless you are streaming video every day or you have no internet at home and uses more than 1.5gb of data per month. And let's say you are a fairly heavy user and you used up your 20gb in 6 months, so you buy another 20gb for $100 and that's still only $20/month. Nothing is cheaper than this and since it is on Rogers network and there is no roaming for data, you can use your phone anything in Canada, what more do you want?

Granted there are times when Fongo connection is not ideal, I got echo happening either on my end or the other end. But a lot of the time, I just redial and the connection clear up for me. For personal use, I have no problem with this slight inconvenience for the price I am paying.

I set a different ring tone between Fongo and the TBTel number so I know NOT to pick up calls from TBTel as they are $0.40/min and I never give out that number so I know any call I receive from that number is junk call.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5621 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto
alkizmo wrote: No because they'd be calling a local phone number. With freephoneline.ca you can pick the city/area code for your phone number.

the problem with fongo is that the call quality is atrocious on my moto g :( and other apps aren't good as well, so would voip.ms with texting be the best option for me? and how would i implement it on my phone

thanks for the comments guys, this is a sick plan if executed properly.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1674 posts
268 upvotes
Gotoff wrote: the problem with fongo is that the call quality is atrocious on my moto g :( and other apps aren't good as well, so would voip.ms with texting be the best option for me? and how would i implement it on my phone

There are several settings in Fongo you may try and see if they improve your call quality
Feb 25, 2013
95 posts
27 upvotes
Gotoff wrote: the problem with fongo is that the call quality is atrocious on my moto g :( and other apps aren't good as well, so would voip.ms with texting be the best option for me? and how would i implement it on my phone

Fongo is working perfectly with my Moto G on tbaytel .
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
dtych wrote: I am in Thunder Bay if people want to PM me that are interested in potentially taking advantage of this deal.
:arrowu:

Did anyone hear back from this fellow? I sent him/her a PM (just yesterday) but did not get a response back. :(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)