Tbaytel Prepaid powered by Rogers - $150 for 20GB with 365 Day Expiry

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2024 11:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
9570 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
I think it is better not buy "add-on" when you still have data in "Data".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
can2000 wrote: I think it is better not buy "add-on" when you still have data in "Data".
i thought you had to to keep from losing the "Data", i also still have $88 in my bucket.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3379 posts
710 upvotes
North Etobicoke
Very confusing.My account info says
Account balance 13.50
Rate Plan Anytime
Expiry Date 02-02-2020

Add on Bucket balance 7GB Expires on 09-17-2020
Data 0KB
SMS 0
Air Time 0

My question is would I lose the 7gb if I do not add money before 02-02-2020 or only lose the $13.50 and my add on date expires on 09-17-2020. The reason is I want to finish with Tbaytel but would like to use the addon data thru the summer. If I lose the 13.50, no care.
TIA for the replies.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3379 posts
710 upvotes
North Etobicoke
G0DKING wrote: Yes; technically you have until 02-09-2020 (7-day grace period)
Thanks. Any idea how much $ I have to add to extend the account expiry about 3 months (to keep using my data) . I cannot find that info on their website.

Thanks
Aug 30, 2012
184 posts
96 upvotes
It seems I cannot add the $150 option to my account ( and couldn't even see what was remaining in the data bucket in my account). Therefore I topped up with a minimum data option that was good for a year .My data bucket wont be rolling over ..it expires in June 2020 and the extra data I bought expires in a year from today's purchase. Guess I will just top up as needed till I find another good plan for my needs.
For those left with money in account and who don't want any renewals ..as company (Rogers ) wont give money back can donate to charity.
https://www.mobilegiving.ca/en/current- ... n-options/
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
Lol, it's interesting that there remains interest in this plan. It was good for a while. Fido data plans made this rather obsolete.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
2157 posts
3003 upvotes
will888 wrote: Lol, it's interesting that there remains interest in this plan. It was good for a while. Fido data plans made this rather obsolete.
Mostly obsolete but still has some use. Some people don't care bout the speed and latency and just want a lot of data. 3G is still enough for a lot of things.

I do have to say I'm struggling to find good reason to keep using tbaytel data plan when Fido tablet data is much cheaper and significantly faster. Using more than 4 GB a month but under 20GB a year is a rather niche scenario, and even then it is not *that* good.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
will888 wrote: Lol, it's interesting that there remains interest in this plan. It was good for a while. Fido data plans made this rather obsolete.
for people with sporadic use or light users, A) no monthly payment B) no monthly unused data that you pay for regardless.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
townie22 wrote: for people with sporadic use or light users, A) no monthly payment B) no monthly unused data that you pay for regardless.
A) The no monthly payment is replaced by a yearly angst about cash and data carrying forward or not. If a top up is missed and the account deactivates, all is lost.
B) The Tbaytel plan is not the panacea as it is like a savings plan with no withdrawals allowed. There is no benefit when an account has hundreds in stranded funds and GBs unused data, yet you have to do the annual top up to keep the account alive. The bottom line is this service cost $8.33+HST per month whether you use it or not.

Plans from the tier 3 brands are pretty close in price. Recently Public Mobile offered a promo that drops their $15 plan down to $8 per month with auto payment. For that you get unlimited text, 100 minutes of calling and 250 MB data every month. This is ideal for the light user. I have ditched my Tbaytel plan long ago in favor of Public Mobile.

Another option is the Fido tablet data plan which can be as cheap as $0 if you are lucky enough to get the loyalty discounts. This plan is data only. Use of minutes and SMS is expensive.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1506 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto, ON
will888 wrote: A) The no monthly payment is replaced by a yearly angst about cash and data carrying forward or not. If a top up is missed and the account deactivates, all is lost.
B) The Tbaytel plan is not the panacea as it is like a savings plan with no withdrawals allowed. There is no benefit when an account has hundreds in stranded funds and GBs unused data, yet you have to do the annual top up to keep the account alive. The bottom line is this service cost $8.33+HST per month whether you use it or not.

Plans from the tier 3 brands are pretty close in price. Recently Public Mobile offered a promo that drops their $15 plan down to $8 per month with auto payment. For that you get unlimited text, 100 minutes of calling and 250 MB data every month. This is ideal for the light user. I have ditched my Tbaytel plan long ago in favor of Public Mobile.

Another option is the Fido tablet data plan which can be as cheap as $0 if you are lucky enough to get the loyalty discounts. This plan is data only. Use of minutes and SMS is expensive.
I'm glad you found something suitable for you. I use about 0.5 to 1.0 GB per month so your PM plan wouldn't work for me but Tbaytel's $100/year suits since I can buy the 10GB data add-on for less than the $100/yr to keep the account alive.

I had thought of switching to Fido but: 1. increased cost ($15x12=$180 if no discount) 2. no idea if discounts will continue from year to year and 3. I already have tbaytel sims and credit on account

We actually have 5 active tbaytel SIMs for 5 family members
-------------
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
English is a difficult language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
9570 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
treasureseeker3 wrote: I'm glad you found something suitable for you. I use about 0.5 to 1.0 GB per month so your PM plan wouldn't work for me but Tbaytel's $100/year suits since I can buy the 10GB data add-on for less than the $100/yr to keep the account alive.

I had thought of switching to Fido but: 1. increased cost ($15x12=$180 if no discount) 2. no idea if discounts will continue from year to year and 3. I already have tbaytel sims and credit on account

We actually have 5 active tbaytel SIMs for 5 family members
I also agreed with you! Everyone has their different requirements. Point #1 and #3 are stopping me to move to Fido as well.
If we can't use up the Fido 5G per month, it is also waste money.
Need below items in GTA:

Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
i'm not trying to start trouble, i'm just saying this plan is still beneficial to some, i'm in the same boat as treasureseeker3 so it works out great for me, pay once a year, some months i use less than 1 GB, some months 1 or 2 GB.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
9570 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
townie22 wrote: i'm not trying to start trouble, i'm just saying this plan is still beneficial to some, i'm in the same boat as treasureseeker3 so it works out great for me, pay once a year, some months i use less than 1 GB, some months 1 or 2 GB.
Don't worry, we are just discussing. :)
Need below items in GTA:

Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
2157 posts
3003 upvotes
treasureseeker3 wrote: I had thought of switching to Fido but: 1. increased cost ($15x12=$180 if no discount) 2. no idea if discounts will continue from year to year and 3. I already have tbaytel sims and credit on account
Been using Fido, almost never not have the discount. On average between 50% to 100% off, I am getting around $5 a month on two different sim over the least 3 years.

Also it is much faster. If you haven't used LTE before I suggest you try it out. After using LTE I can't stand going back at all even if it is free. YMMV of course.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1506 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cucumference wrote: Been using Fido, almost never not have the discount. On average between 50% to 100% off, I am getting around $5 a month on two different sim over the least 3 years.

Also it is much faster. If you haven't used LTE before I suggest you try it out. After using LTE I can't stand going back at all even if it is free. YMMV of course.
The speed increase isn't enough of a factor for me but if they would commit to $7.50/mo I'd switch.

If only you could get Fido to commit to lowering their price instead of it being a guess every year.
-------------
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
English is a difficult language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
2157 posts
3003 upvotes
treasureseeker3 wrote: The speed increase isn't enough of a factor for me but if they would commit to $7.50/mo I'd switch.

If only you could get Fido to commit to lowering their price instead of it being a guess every year.
I would agree with that. If the speed isn't important and you have to make your dollar count with no uncertainty whatsoever. Tbaytel probably still wins by a hair.

That is really it though. As soon as you are open to a tiny bit of risk. Fido wins by a landslide.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1864 posts
838 upvotes
Oakville
Added bonus is voice calling (for emergencies) Tbaytel Prepaid is 30¢/min and free incoming text messages. And other benefits others have already mentioned for some users.

I Agree with previous posts with the value proposition and use cases of Tbaytel Prepaid is reduced with the aggressive Fido Tablet deal.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
i had been keeping half an eye on the Fido thread, and considering it now and then, but now they recently changed the offer (less GB+more money) and it's now not such a hot deal anymore. i'll continue to monitor it , perhaps next good deal.......

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)