Cell Phones

tbaytel prepaid data - $125 for 20GB with 365 day expiry?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 10:11 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
26879 posts
3254 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Messerschmitt wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:46 pm
And regarding my request, can anyone let me know what is the best way to get a replacement SIM card since my current one is very worn out and "scratched" from putting it in and out of my phone (which has a high friction coefficient and it scratches the SIM contacts every time it's taken out or put in)
I think you're out of luck. You can't ask them to ship you a new one without the risk of being discovered. I would just take every precaution to extend the life of the SIM
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1481 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
I've only been successful once at transferring an account to a new sim remotely through my Thunder Bay contact.

It's more work effort to do a transfer then setting up a new sim. So they haven't been cooperative with me beyond that one transfer.

Stop doing the in and out with your sim! Keep it in. Get a dual sim phone if your constantky swapping sims.
Messerschmitt wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:46 pm
Why did you lose a week? When you select any amount, it tells you the new expiry date. You would've noticed that the new expiry wouldve been +365 days instead of your old expiry + 365 days.

This. addon's don't expire, even if they have their expiry date. All you have to make sure is that the main account is not expiring, and just keep loading 100$ every year

And regarding my request, can anyone let me know what is the best way to get a replacement SIM card since my current one is very worn out and "scratched" from putting it in and out of my phone (which has a high friction coefficient and it scratches the SIM contacts every time it's taken out or put in)
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13554 posts
3232 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't gone into my account in ages. Today, I did a check to confirm my account expiry date. I noticed that on the add on page, it shows that my data expires with a different date than my account. My data expires on March 3, 2018 whereas my account expiry is January 15, 2018. I recall these two dates were identical because I have always topped up on the account expiry date and bought data with the top up immediately. On the add on page, I only have the option do to auto renew 20 gigs for data, other data options are not available. Are these new changes in account behavior?
Jan 16, 2007
670 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Any idea on how to retrieve my voice mail, for free if possible.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13554 posts
3232 upvotes
Toronto
NubNub wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 3:16 pm
Any idea on how to retrieve my voice mail, for free if possible.
Turn off the phone with Tbaytel SIM, call your number from a different phone, press # or * (can't remember which) during the voice greeting and you will be asked to enter the password.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1481 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
From my very vague memory, I did mention differences in expiry dates for the account and data a year or so ago in this thread. So it's not new behaviour.

How to achieve the variance in dates, I don't know. Did you ever buy a text package?
will888 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 8:55 am
I haven't gone into my account in ages. Today, I did a check to confirm my account expiry date. I noticed that on the add on page, it shows that my data expires with a different date than my account. My data expires on March 3, 2018 whereas my account expiry is January 15, 2018. I recall these two dates were identical because I have always topped up on the account expiry date and bought data with the top up immediately. On the add on page, I only have the option do to auto renew 20 gigs for data, other data options are not available. Are these new changes in account behavior?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4425 posts
532 upvotes
NORTH YORK
will888 wrote:
My understanding is that your data will not expire Mar 3 if you top up as usual Jan 15. Basically whatever remaining will roll over
That has been like this for a little while
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Sep 19, 2009
921 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 3:39 pm
Turn off the phone with Tbaytel SIM, call your number from a different phone, press # or * (can't remember which) during the voice greeting and you will be asked to enter the password.
How do you set up a password? Never did it.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2010
1319 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
andrew4321 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 5:24 pm
How do you set up a password? Never did it.
If you didn't set one up the default is your 10 digit number
I love Witcher 3!!
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13554 posts
3232 upvotes
Toronto
Kursor17 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 4:03 pm
From my very vague memory, I did mention differences in expiry dates for the account and data a year or so ago in this thread. So it's not new behaviour.

How to achieve the variance in dates, I don't know. Did you ever buy a text package?
I bought some text long ago, so that doesn't explain it. No big deal. Top up comes first anyway. Once I top up, I will convert it to data.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3573 posts
777 upvotes
Charlottetown
will888 wrote:
this happened to me today too when i added $125 to my account due in a couple of days, all data addons were showing N/A, so when i clicked on auto renew or whatever, said it expires in March or something crazy, unclicked auto renew, account shows good until next January. wasn't there something about your bucket had to be down to 200 mb or something before you could add more?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2358 posts
495 upvotes
Montreal
townie22 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 6:30 pm
this happened to me today too when i added $125 to my account due in a couple of days, all data addons were showing N/A, so when i clicked on auto renew or whatever, said it expires in March or something crazy, unclicked auto renew, account shows good until next January. wasn't there something about your bucket had to be down to 200 mb or something before you could add more?
guys, when the dates don't match, just hit up tbaytel on the chat and they'll extend the expiry
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3573 posts
777 upvotes
Charlottetown
i was advised to not contact them unless very important because i live in Atlantic Canada...... no where near Thunder Bay.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2358 posts
495 upvotes
Montreal
townie22 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 8:34 am
i was advised to not contact them unless very important because i live in Atlantic Canada...... no where near Thunder Bay.
yeah, there's no need to mention where you live. It has absolutely no bearing in this context.
They'll ask for your account number which is your 807 area code phone number, and password.
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3573 posts
777 upvotes
Charlottetown
Thanks Marc. could it also be this? "I can't seem to add more data! Why is that? When can I add more data?
When you have 200mb left, you can start adding more." but, i assume, auto renew should kick in when that happens if activated and date corrected?