Tbaytel Prepaid powered by Rogers - $150 for 20GB with 365 Day Expiry

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2024 11:27 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
andrew4321 wrote: Was anyoane sucesfull in converting a prepaid account to postpaid and keeping the balance? Some carriers would allow it. I've done it with Virgin Mobile some time back.
I tried last year, unsuccessful. AFAIK, even donation for tax credit won't work. I have $600 balance and I'm looking for a way to use it as well. Any ideas?
Jun 16, 2017
265 posts
234 upvotes
If anyone is interested, they can buy my TBayTel LTE Sim card for $10. It no longer meets my needs.

PM me if interested.
Last edited by marcaccioc42 on Feb 4th, 2024 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 16, 2017
265 posts
234 upvotes
marcaccioc42 wrote: If anyone is interested, they can buy my TBayTel LTE Sim card for $10. It no longer meets my needs.

PM me if interested.
Sold
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1506 posts
1107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm still using mine.

Can't find anything cheaper for < 1GB/month
-------------
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
English is a difficult language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1864 posts
838 upvotes
Oakville
groupdeals wrote: Nice.
I'm surprised someone would buy it with all the other (better) options that are currently available.
What's the better option for seniors that use very little data and very few mobile calls?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1864 posts
838 upvotes
Oakville
groupdeals wrote: Lucky, Public and Chatr all offer $15/mo plans, for the extra $30/yr, you get a heck of a lot more value for the money.

There's also the Freedom Mobile plan for $119 (now that you have access to the Big 3 networks) is a much better option.
Tbaytel Prepaid $150 for 20GB with rollover with annual $100 top-up subsequent year.
Lucky, Public and Chatr $180/year
Freedom $119. Didn't know they had free access to big 3 networks. So if you're in Freedom zone (GTA), you get freedom service, else you get big 3?

Tbaytel not for you I guess. Grandmas and grandpas love it. My Mother-In-Law only uses wechat. Can't even break 20GB in a year, so she keeps accumulating data and account balance year over year.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8742 upvotes
Toronto
I had this many moons ago and currently this price point is good for my current situation.

The only blocker for me is I can’t port my main 647# onto this , otherwise I would be all over this like a fat kid on cake……

I’m trying to keep my annual costs down and need some talk, txt and data.

Currently on Lucky mobile $20 / 3Gb per month……but this would fit the bill (minus my main tel#)
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1506 posts
1107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kursor17 wrote: Tbaytel Prepaid $150 for 20GB with rollover with annual $100 top-up subsequent year.
Lucky, Public and Chatr $180/year
Freedom $119. Didn't know they had free access to big 3 networks. So if you're in Freedom zone (GTA), you get freedom service, else you get big 3?

Tbaytel not for you I guess. Grandmas and grandpas love it. My Mother-In-Law only uses wechat. Can't even break 20GB in a year, so she keeps accumulating data and account balance year over year.
Yes. For continuing use, annual cost is $100/yr.

I've heard Freedom outside of Toronto (where most of us live) is crap.
-------------
English is a difficult language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
2839 posts
1394 upvotes
Markham, ON
treasureseeker3 wrote: Yes. For continuing use, annual cost is $100/yr.

I've heard Freedom outside of Toronto (where most of us live) is crap.
That recently changed with the new CRTC rules.

Freedom now has access to the Big 3 networks outside of their footprint.

If Freedom doesn't have "Home" coverage in a location, you will connected to Rogers or Bell/TELUS networks.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1506 posts
1107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
groupdeals wrote: That recently changed with the new CRTC rules.

Freedom now has access to the Big 3 networks outside of their footprint.

If Freedom doesn't have "Home" coverage in a location, you will connected to Rogers or Bell/TELUS networks.
That's good to hear. Have any RFDrs confirmed that there aren't any problems with that?

I might switch from Tbaytel since $119 Freedom mobile plan includes 15GB per year AND unlimited talk and text (I could drop Fongo)

https://shop.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/prepaid-plans

My tbaytel expires June 30
-------------
Jun 16, 2017
265 posts
234 upvotes
treasureseeker3 wrote: That's good to hear. Have any RFDrs confirmed that there aren't any problems with that?

I might switch from Tbaytel since $119 Freedom mobile plan includes 15GB per year AND unlimited talk and text (I could drop Fongo)

https://shop.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/prepaid-plans

My tbaytel expires June 30
I think you have to be predominantly in freedom zones.
Jan 24, 2013
678 posts
686 upvotes
Rainy River
marcaccioc42 wrote: I think you have to be predominantly in freedom zones.
That is my question as well. I'm looking at the 15 GB per year for $119.00. Does a certain amount of that 15GB have to be in a Freedom zone, and then some smaller allotment can be with the other carriers. I'm not in a Freedom zone (rural area) and 15GB/ year is plenty for me. But I'd be mostly on Bell. So the question is if I consume 13 GB on Bell and 1 on Rogers and 1 on Freedom is that okay (meaning no surcharges)? Or are you allowed to only consume some small portion of the 15 GB with the other carriers towers.

Also, will speed be impacted if I'm using Bell towers with Freedom? Do the Bell plan customers take precedence somehow and then does our services or speed get cut?

If no, then are there any other downsides to Freedom?
Jun 16, 2017
265 posts
234 upvotes
retireyoung55 wrote: That is my question as well. I'm looking at the 15 GB per year for $119.00. Does a certain amount of that 15GB have to be in a Freedom zone, and then some smaller allotment can be with the other carriers. I'm not in a Freedom zone (rural area) and 15GB/ year is plenty for me. But I'd be mostly on Bell. So the question is if I consume 13 GB on Bell and 1 on Rogers and 1 on Freedom is that okay (meaning no surcharges)? Or are you allowed to only consume some small portion of the 15 GB with the other carriers towers.

Also, will speed be impacted if I'm using Bell towers with Freedom? Do the Bell plan customers take precedence somehow and then does our services or speed get cut?

If no, then are there any other downsides to Freedom?
i don't think they would charge you as you are on a prepaid service. However they may not allow you to renew or they may cancel. You would need to get a copy of their terms of service and see if it says anything about being in a freedom zone most of the time. Let us know what you find out.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)