Cell Phones

TCL’s next BlackBerry device, the ‘Motion’ (codename Krypton)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 5:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26234 posts
6070 upvotes
GTHA

TCL’s next BlackBerry device, the ‘Motion’ (codename Krypton)

If correct, which Blass usually is, this smartphone will be an ‘all-display’ device, which means it won’t feature a keyboard, a fact TCL’s chief communications officer Francois Mahieu discussed during IFA this year. The device is also set to feature IP67 water and dust resistance and includes a battery that can last more than 26 hours.

Additionally, if this is simply a name switch from ‘Krypton’ to motion, the device is rumoured to feature a Snapdragon 625 chipset, 1920 x 1080 pixel display, 4GB of RAM, a 4,000mAh battery and a fingerprint sensor.

from https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/05/blac ... tion-leak/
28 replies
Feb 27, 2014
282 posts
39 upvotes
Hoping that BlackBerry used the newer Snapdragon 660 instead Snapdragon 625. Otherwise there are other Snapdragon 660 to consider: Samsung Galaxy A5 2018, Nokia 7 or Asus Zenfone 4.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11036 posts
1718 upvotes
Toronto
Yawn. Aside from the waterproofing, I already have all this on my Redmi Note 4. Except this new Blackberry device will likely launch costing 3-4X what I paid for my Note 4.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2206 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 9:11 am
Yawn. Aside from the waterproofing, I already have all this on my Redmi Note 4. Except this new Blackberry device will likely launch costing 3-4X what I paid for my Note 4.
$599 CAD

So upwards of ~$700 after taxes in ON

It's ok - give TCL time to let the market teach them.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26234 posts
6070 upvotes
GTHA
vivibaby wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 4:04 am
Is this blackberry’s flagship?
No, this is a companion to the KeyOne
Oct 5, 2017
14 posts
7 upvotes
Surrey, BC
It looks nice and is not another cookie cutter Android phone design. I hope TCL prices it competitively as a mid-tier smartphone.

I use a DTEK60 and it's a very well made phone. Now only if BlackBerry and TCL got their heads together and released a Nougat or Oreo OS update!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
4816 posts
1261 upvotes
Space
Very true. Blackberry isn’t worth the premium anymore. Just another Chinese rebrand
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 9:11 am
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16321 posts
1080 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'll give them credit for still trying.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9775 posts
1025 upvotes
love the bb haters still here queuing for their "tHats the nAil iN tHe coFFin" line...
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3713 posts
323 upvotes
Instead of being different and strong for it. It seem BB is just stepping in the line of other phone makers.

I agree to good they are trying but I don't see what makes this better. The larger battery seems promising. A curved oled 4K passport would be sweet with BB software not android.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19271 posts
1431 upvotes
I think Optiemus and Blackberry have a winner with the Limited Ed KEYOne dual sim model - TCL and BB should be making more smartphones with dual sim capabilities for the global traveller\businessman...

Yes, this is a niche market but might as well target niche markets to make money vs joining the herd and trying to scrape by against Apple and Samsung...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25455 posts
2765 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Charging for $700 for a mid range phone is not going to work. BlackBerry wants to play in the mid range and not the top end. They need to be sub $500 to compete in the mid range.

They should build a top end using a Snap Dragon 835 and charge $700 - $800

I am sure people are willing to pony up for a decent BlackBerry. If One Plus can do it, why can't BlackBerry?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26234 posts
6070 upvotes
GTHA
BlackBerry Motion officially unveiled with a 5.5-inch display and 4,000mAh battery
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/08/blac ... -official/
TCL has officially unveiled the BlackBerry Motion at GITEX Technology Week in Dubai and will be available this month in the UAE, then launch in “select global markets” later this quarter.

This TCL-made Android-powered BlackBerry is the first dual-SIM BlackBerry device and has an anti-scratch 5.5-inch full HD display, 4GB RAM, 4,000mAh battery with QuickCharge 3.0 support, and is rated IP67 for dust and water resistance.

There is no word yet on Canadian availability, however, BlackBerry Mobile stated in an earlier press release that another BlackBerry smartphone will launch in Canada before the end of the year. The BlackBerry Motion could very well be that smartphone.
Hopefully the North American version has dual-SIM capability