Cell Phones

TCL’s next BlackBerry device, the ‘Motion’ (codename Krypton)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 5:28 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6837 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto
Devhux wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 5:10 pm
It won't; especially if carriers will sell it.
Good point. Likely carriers will shy away from it. Burned by BBRY too many times.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25421 posts
2755 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ichpen wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 6:34 pm
Good point. Likely carriers will shy away from it. Burned by BBRY too many times.
That’s not the reason. Carriers don’t like dual SIM phones.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6837 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:30 am
That’s not the reason. Carriers don’t like dual SIM phones.
Of course they don't. They also don't like to waste shelf space hence will carry BBRY in small quantities if at all. Will see I guess.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11017 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
TrickyTreeRed wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 6:24 pm
It looks nice and is not another cookie cutter Android phone design. I hope TCL prices it competitively as a mid-tier smartphone.

I use a DTEK60 and it's a very well made phone. Now only if BlackBerry and TCL got their heads together and released a Nougat or Oreo OS update!
Aside from a Blackberry logo on the front, I see nothing unique in the Motion that sets it apart from dozens of similar Android phones. Furthermore, it seems to borrow heavily from the design of many popular established Android phones. At least the Keyone had a totally unique design.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Oct 11th, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11017 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
ichpen wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 6:34 pm
Carriers will avoid it because there is no demand for it. Just like Windows Phones. No point carrying models that only a tiny minority of customers will be interested in.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11017 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
Max_Dealing wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 11:15 am
Instead of being different and strong for it. It seem BB is just stepping in the line of other phone makers.

I agree to good they are trying but I don't see what makes this better. The larger battery seems promising. A curved oled 4K passport would be sweet with BB software not android.
They have wisely accepted the failure of their Blackberry 10 OS and were wise to adopt the Android platform. I don't think we will never see another native Blackberry mobile OS.

They have copied many features from top selling Android phones, such as the 4000 mah battery. Like I said, very similar hardware to my Redmi Note 4, but 3X the price.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2204 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
TrickyTreeRed wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 6:24 pm
It looks nice and is not another cookie cutter Android phone design. I hope TCL prices it competitively as a mid-tier smartphone.

I use a DTEK60 and it's a very well made phone. Now only if BlackBerry and TCL got their heads together and released a Nougat or Oreo OS update!
Right - you know their Keyone was also a mid-tier device right? It is priced at $729 CAD.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11017 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
Ticco wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 2:07 pm
Right - you know their Keyone was also a mid-tier device right? It is priced at $729 CAD.
The TCL business model is usually:

1. Take Generic Android Hardware
2. Slap Blackberry Branding and Software On it
3. Markup 200% over what competitor Android phones are selling
4. Try to milk the small remaining base of Blackberry diehards, Nostalgic people and fanboys - this pool of people is shrinking very quickly

At least the Keyone had a unique design, the DTEK and Motion phones are just a totally lazy cash in attempt. It's not likely this business model will work much longer. (Does it even work now?)

Anyone who really cares about security has moved on to Apple or Google hardware which has far superior support lifecycles and a much longer future of OS and security updates. TCL is charging premium prices while providing generic hardware and generic levels of support.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2204 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 2:16 pm
The TCL business model is usually:

1. Take Generic Android Hardware
2. Slap Blackberry Branding and Software On it
3. Markup 200% over what competitor Android phones are selling
4. Try to milk the small remaining base of Blackberry diehards, Nostalgic people and fanboys - this pool of people is shrinking very quickly

At least the Keyone had a unique design, the DTEK and Motion phones are just a totally lazy cash in attempt. It's not likely this business model will work much longer. (Does it even work now?)

Anyone who really cares about security has moved on to Apple or Google hardware which has far superior support lifecycles and a much longer future of OS and security updates. TCL is charging premium prices while providing generic hardware and generic levels of support.
Well I give them credit for giving it a shot but I'm almost positive they have no clue about the market they thought they could get a slice of. For sure Blackberry's commitment to their license partners is the bare bare minimum - they could barely get it right when they had a stake in the business and now it makes no difference to them whether phones sell or not. I'm pretty sure they have like 1-3 engineers that work on their android OS suite loll

The biggest user base of blackberry phones still remain BBOS which is pretty funny lol.

People think TCL did their "market research" - umm yea, they make TV's for emerging markets and android phones for the same market. They just took a gamble thinking they could expand their offerings and get into the enterprise game when Blackberry themselves said enterprise is NOT about the device anymore but the software...like this whole thing is a joke.

I guess the difference is the TCL can afford the loss whereas Blackberry couldn't any longer...

This was the longest drawn out death and it's been painful lol

Fanboys are lucky though they get to pay premium prices for mediocre hardware and software lol.
Feb 15, 2015
18 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa
I hope it's dual sim! and..can phones be bought outright if i'm not with the carrier?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19268 posts
1431 upvotes
BB10 OS is awesome...still fluid on my aging Passport and I love the HUB on BB10 Os...

Too bad it's a dead OS, had lots of potential but alas, BlackBerry wasted it (like their competitive advantage/market lead)..

It's a shame but alas.....

KEYOne or KEYTwo will be my next smartphone...need physical KB...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26204 posts
6062 upvotes
GTHA
BlackBerry Motion launches in Canada, available at Bell, Telus, Koodo and SaskTel
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/11/10/blac ... o-sasktel/
  • Bell Pricing: $99 CAD on a 2- year premium plan; $599.00 CAD outright
  • TELUS Pricing: $100 CAD on a 2-year premium plan; $605.00 CAD outright
  • Koodo Pricing: $100 CAD on a Tab Large plan; $605.00 CAD outright
  • SaskTel Pricing:$99 CAD on a 2-year premium plan; $599.99 CAD outright.