Ongoing Deal Discussion

[TD Bank] TD Aeroplan VISA - 1st Year Free + Free 2-for-1 Short Haul Flight + 15,000 Free Miles

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2015 4:26 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 15, 2011
56 posts
22 upvotes
OSHAWA

[TD Bank] TD Aeroplan VISA - 1st Year Free + Free 2-for-1 Short Haul Flight + 15,000 Free Miles

TD is offering all new cardholders the first year free on the TD Aeroplan VISA Infinite card in addition to 15,000 welcome miles and a free short-haul flight (and it appears the booking fee is also waived). Check the link for all the legal info...

Because they come up often I thought I might update the first post:
The first year free is confirmed not to be advertised online, but only in-branch or over-the-phone.
You will be charged the first year free, and subsequently reimbursed in a few statement cycles thereafter.
1355 replies
Jun 10, 2007
184 posts
50 upvotes
Whitehorse
Interesting statement on the website: "Your Aeroplan Miles will not expire, as long as you are a TD Aeroplan Credit Cardholder." I find that odd, since normally Aeroplan miles don't expire unless you have no activity in 12 consecutive months, regardless of whether you continue with the original card issuer or not. With the old CIBC Aeroplan, I can accumulate Aeroplan miles, eventually cancel my CIBC credit card, and my Aeroplan miles remain. The statement on TD's website indicates otherwise. I hope that is a mistake.
Nov 11, 2013
10 posts
2 upvotes
I'm assuming fees are required after the first year, and all inclusive account waival wont' apply to this visa?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5063 posts
545 upvotes
in a plane
haven't read the details yet but be careful on the "free" short-haul. This is why I've stopped using the 2-for-1 benefit on my Amex - a flight to NYC was $150 or so each in taxes.

Also, at least with Amex, you must fly AC. Limits your choices. not to say any of this is bad, but just be aware.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1356 posts
135 upvotes
Barrie
What am I missing...I don't see the FYF?
Amex SPG, MR, and Aeroplan offers help me travel!
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2007
1025 posts
133 upvotes
KINGSTON, Ontario
When I log in to the application site through Webbroker I receive:

We're Sorry

Unfortunately, this Web Service is currently not available. Service will be restored shortly so please try again in a few hours or visit any TD Canada Trust Branch. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Return to TD Canada Trust

Privacy Policy | Internet Security | Legal
TD Group Financial Services Site - Copyright © TD
Jun 10, 2007
184 posts
50 upvotes
Whitehorse
normanh wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 4:46 pm
Interesting statement on the website: "Your Aeroplan Miles will not expire, as long as you are a TD Aeroplan Credit Cardholder." I find that odd, since normally Aeroplan miles don't expire unless you have no activity in 12 consecutive months, regardless of whether you continue with the original card issuer or not. With the old CIBC Aeroplan, I can accumulate Aeroplan miles, eventually cancel my CIBC credit card, and my Aeroplan miles remain. The statement on TD's website indicates otherwise. I hope that is a mistake.
So I called TD and they said that the statement is there to assure people that by having the TD Aeroplan card, their Aeroplan miles won't expire - however, the miles will not expire even without a TD card as long as you have activity every 12 months.

I should add, that I was told that if I open a checking account at the branch, the points would be 20,000.
[OP]
Jul 15, 2011
56 posts
22 upvotes
OSHAWA
tkk0330 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 4:51 pm
I'm assuming fees are required after the first year, and all inclusive account waival wont' apply to this visa?
Correct
Oct 20, 2004
613 posts
126 upvotes
Ottawa
normanh wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 4:46 pm
I think you are just reading it wrong. As you say, if you don't have any activity for 12 months your points will expire. If you have this card though this does not apply to you. At $120 though this is a pretty expensive way to keep your points alive...
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1356 posts
135 upvotes
Barrie
Where are you seeing First Year Freeeeee?
Amex SPG, MR, and Aeroplan offers help me travel!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7034 posts
807 upvotes
I thought Aeroplan miles transferred to your Aeroplan card??

How would they expire?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
1838 posts
930 upvotes
Clarington
A short haul flight is 15,000 points. So provided a typical return short haul flight is over $150 - it's far better than a 1% cash back card.

I've got an account at TD that waives all my banking and Visa fees as long as I've got $5k+ in it. I assume it'd cover the yearly charge for this one also.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3132 posts
312 upvotes
Montreal
kool1 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 5:13 pm
I thought Aeroplan miles transferred to your Aeroplan card??

How would they expire?
They won't as long as you keep your TD Aeroplan Visa and Reward card which allows you to accumulated miles twice as fast.

We won't be able to talk to customers about Aeroplan cards till tomorrow so...
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3132 posts
312 upvotes
Montreal
Bawler wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 5:15 pm
A short haul flight is 15,000 points. So provided a typical return short haul flight is over $150 - it's far better than a 1% cash back card.

I've got an account at TD that waives all my banking and Visa fees as long as I've got $5k+ in it. I assume it'd cover the yearly charge for this one also.
An all-inclusive chequings account does waive the annual fees on any premium TD Visa card like the First Class Visa but I am not 100% sure that applies to the upcoming Aeroplan cards as well.

Don't forget that you are entitled to free bank drafts, certified cheques and a safety deposit box as well with that account. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7034 posts
807 upvotes
cn_habs wrote:
Jan 1st, 2014 5:17 pm
They won't as long as you keep your TD Aeroplan Visa and Reward card which allows you to accumulated miles twice as fast.

We won't be able to talk to customers about Aeroplan cards till tomorrow so...
So if I cancel how long until they expire?
× < >