Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] TD: AMD A4-3400 APU (Socket FM1, Radeon HD 6410D) - $19.97 AR

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2012 12:23 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 21, 2011
620 posts
204 upvotes
Kingston
hyperzore wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 3:46 pm
Could you possibly add a dvi to hdmi adapter for like 10 bucks like http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6812270286

Is there any loss in quality and I'm assuming one would also get sound when hooked up to the tv with this adapter ?

thanks
You would not get sound dvi/hdmi in either direction. If the mobo/video card output through hdmi, then your adapter to dvi loses sound, conversely, if the mobo outputs dvi, the hdmi won't get any audio feed.

The alternative is you can use the speaker jack on the mobo (or some video cards) or get a sound card.

Realistically, if you are planning to use as a HTPC, hdmi is a must. Don't bother with other standards. Almost universally all LCD/Plasma/LED tvs contain HDMI, the other standards are mostly legacy for monitors.
Jul 21, 2011
620 posts
204 upvotes
Kingston
anon_s wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 3:34 pm
Cancel that order? It's too expensive (~$100) plus it's a refurb.
+1
Agreed! The mobo is a refurb. I would spec price a mobo at closer to half that cost.
Oct 26, 2006
322 posts
23 upvotes
hyperzore wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 3:46 pm
Could you possibly add a dvi to hdmi adapter for like 10 bucks like http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6812270286

Is there any loss in quality and I'm assuming one would also get sound when hooked up to the tv with this adapter ?

thanks
A inexpensive board like the Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2 also at TD has DVI and VGA outputs.

This DVI output does not have audio output when using an adapter. There is no "ATI/AMD HDMI Output" Playback device.

I know because I have one.
Jul 30, 2010
242 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Krakenlayer wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 3:53 pm
You would not get sound dvi/hdmi in either direction. If the mobo/video card output through hdmi, then your adapter to dvi loses sound, conversely, if the mobo outputs dvi, the hdmi won't get any audio feed.

The alternative is you can use the speaker jack on the mobo (or some video cards) or get a sound card.

Realistically, if you are planning to use as a HTPC, hdmi is a must. Don't bother with other standards. Almost universally all LCD/Plasma/LED tvs contain HDMI, the other standards are mostly legacy for monitors.
justmehereajax wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 4:01 pm
A inexpensive board like the Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2 also at TD has DVI and VGA outputs.

This DVI output does not have audio output when using an adapter. There is no "ATI/AMD HDMI Output" Playback device.

thanks guys, a cheap external video card with hdmi would then be best choice in this scenario I suppose?
Jul 21, 2011
620 posts
204 upvotes
Kingston
justmehereajax wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 4:01 pm

I don't know why people would be suggesting a mobo that has no hdmi, unless you want to buy a video card as well (which would need to be really low profile to fit in a uATX enclosure).

If you are planning to use this as a htpc (ie. connect to your tv). Probably invest in a mobo that has hdmi, supports 7.1 sound (unless you have a receiver), ideally has usb 3 ports. The onboard sata connectors wouldn't be overly important, because if you are getting a low profile enclosure (meant for micro atx htpc) then you probably want one ssd, and then stream your video from a NAS or connect to external hard drive using usb 3.
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24044 posts
4127 upvotes
Toronto
mastn15 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 1:19 pm
Just realized this CPU doesn't include a fan.. Is it necessary and if so where can I get one?
Wait until they have that Zalman Performa fan for free after MIR.
Oct 26, 2006
322 posts
23 upvotes
Krakenlayer wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 4:11 pm
I don't know why people would be suggesting a mobo that has no hdmi, unless you want to buy a video card as well (which would need to be really low profile to fit in a uATX enclosure).

If you are planning to use this as a htpc (ie. connect to your tv). Probably invest in a mobo that has hdmi, supports 7.1 sound, ideally has usb 3 ports. The onboard sata connectors wouldn't be overly important, because if you are getting a low profile enclosure (meant for micro atx htpc) then you probably want one ssd, and then stream your video from a NAS or connect to external hard drive using usb 3.
I also had the same question if AMD entry-level A55 motherboards could support HDMI audio through the DVI using an adapter a while ago. My "Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2" did not, but it is a good inexpensive desktop board.

Some entry-level A55 motherboards come equipped with HDMI like the BIOSTAR A55MH from NewEgg.ca.
Jul 23, 2011
658 posts
167 upvotes
weepingcat wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 3:01 pm
AMD Sempron 145 is recommend for budget unRAID server build. How’s this A4-3400 compare to the AMD Sempron 145 2.8Ghz, and is this a better CPU than the Sempron 145 for unRAID? Thanks.
Because Sempron is cheap and has a low TDP (45w) which is all that matters in a NAS setup. Just for comparison sake, AMD Neo is less powerful than Sempron and its what you get with an HP ProLiant MicroServer and its not uncommon to see people running Windows Server 2012 on it.

AMD A4-3400 is without a doubt better than Sempron but you need to think about how you plan on using these parts once they have outlived their usefulness. I tend to move around my hardware and buy stuff with similar specs so its easier to upgrade. So plan ahead.
Jul 21, 2011
620 posts
204 upvotes
Kingston
Why would you use this to build a NAS? The main selling point for the cpu is that its cheap (after MIR) and can be used to build a low profile computer (such as a HTPC).

If you want to build a NAS, chances are you are going to want connect lots of Hard drives (WD reds 3tb), some of the cheaper mobos quote have reviews claiming they don't natively support 3tb+ hard drives, also the 3.5" HD are going to suck up more space than the uATX mobo, so why not just get a normal ATX if trying to build a NAS, and focus your efforts on a low energy/power cpu/mobo combo. Most of the replies have been directed towards a HTPC, which a uATX mobo without hdmi is a fail, because then you have to invest in a video card to output to your big screen TV, which practically eliminates most low profile enclosures.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2012
2808 posts
796 upvotes
Krakenlayer wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 4:11 pm

If you are planning to use this as a htpc (ie. connect to your tv). Probably invest in a mobo that has hdmi, supports 7.1 sound (unless you have a receiver), ideally has usb 3 ports. The onboard sata connectors wouldn't be overly important, because if you are getting a low profile enclosure (meant for micro atx htpc) then you probably want one ssd, and then stream your video from a NAS or connect to external hard drive using usb 3.
I agree. However, I don't recommend spending more money on a motherboard that supports HDMI. If you need HDMI, it would probably be more beneficial just to invest in a HD6450 graphics card for ~$10AR, that way you can take advantage of Radeon Dual Graphics and have your HDMI output with sound all in one!
Jul 21, 2011
620 posts
204 upvotes
Kingston
"TD have 24h free shipping offer yet they charge me shipping, did that happen to anyone else?"

My guess is that its not on all items? It happened to me as well.
Jul 21, 2011
620 posts
204 upvotes
Kingston
VIIVIIIXIII wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 4:50 pm
I agree. However, I don't recommend spending more money on a motherboard that supports HDMI. If you need HDMI, it would probably be more beneficial just to invest in a HD6450 graphics card for ~$10AR, that way you can take advantage of Radeon Dual Graphics and have your HDMI output with sound all in one!
Hi VIIVIIIXIII,

I looked at the video card, but which mobo orients the PCI slot such that you mount this parallel to your mobo? (somewhat rhetorical question) I am planning to get a really small enclosure with PS, I have an old/small ssd 64gb, get some cheap RAM, and the mobo (which I would output video and audio through the hdmi port and into my receiver). The 40$ you spend on the video card would be more expensive than just putting another 20$ into the mobo and getting one with 8 channels and hdmi if you don't have a receiver (true you will lose the benefit of the video card handling the graphics processing, but unless you are gaming the mobo onboard hdmi is sufficient).
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2006
1010 posts
218 upvotes
KW
Thanks OP, purchased. OK now what is the cheapest FM1 board with HDMI? I'm not having much luck. I guess you could always grab the Gigabyte for $39 AR and use a DVI to HDMI adapter and grab a 1/8th to RCA adapter for the audio out but that's kind of ugly.

Hmm...
× < >