Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1057 posts
161 upvotes
ORLEANS

TD bank ATM malfunctioned

Depositing money at 9:50pm Sunday night. December 2. Deposited the first 2 $1000 no problems. Third deposit was $200 I put the money into the slot. It took the money. I heard it counting it in the machine. Then suddenly the machine said no money in depository. And then the machine restarted and said one moment please in many languages. Then it started working again. But my account is still missing the $200. On Monday December 3 I went to the td bank branch and told them. They started an investigation. But I haven’t heard back from them since. Anyone have this happen or know will I get my $200 back?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2836 posts
1569 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
You'll get your money back if what you said is true. It does take some time as they need to verify the funds in the ATM, ask HQ for the ATM records and permission to view camera footage.
Last edited by bomber17 on Dec 5th, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1498 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
This happens more often than the bank would like to admit. If you're depositing large sums of cash you should always do it at a teller. This is one of the very few and rare cases where I would say it's better to do it with a human than a machine.

While I am confident you'll get your money back, it is uber annoying to have to wait for the investigation and the stress of worrying if your money is ever going to be returned to you is not worth the time saved for depositing large sums of cash in the ATM.

The double standard here though is that if the bank gave you an extra $20 when you were taking out money, you'd see the $20 debit in your account the very next day. But if they've taken too much of your money it takes them forever to return it.