• Mar 21st, 2019 8:19 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2009
1408 posts
274 upvotes
Renous
Zyphur wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 3:09 pm

Edit: After further review from an agent, the offer is for TD customers who don't have a chequing account...
Hmm.. I wonder if I were to open a savings account today, if I could get this offer.. or maybe cross my fingers and hope to get the email?
Reserved for future time travellers
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15005 posts
7360 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Amowagou wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 4:33 pm
Being a long time TD customer, I asked my bank manager the same question many times. The answer is NO.
Although I haven't asked this time around, that's been my experience with previous promos :(
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Dec 24, 2015
163 posts
215 upvotes
margincall wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 5:14 pm
Bit the bullet and applied using the link in OP as I wasn't targeted.
Called in and CSR confirmed that the promotion has been applied to my account.
It's my first ever account with TD.
Hope you don't mind me quoting you on the first post to give others a bit of confidence.
I would have tried it myself, but I alrdy got the $500 from the BC one last time.

If anyone else has confirmations from TD CSR let us know!
Apr 20, 2006
86 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Easy as 1, 2, 3

Online Chat after I opened the account.

Me: I just opened up an all inclusive chequing account and just wanted to make sure that I am eligible for the $500 when I meet the following criteria

Agent: Great question! I can certainly help you with that. To confirm, did you receive an email/letter regarding this promotion or see if on EasyWeb?

Me: I saw it on easyweb

Agent: Okay perfect thank you. I did just want to confirm as it is a targeted offer for individual customers. In that case, you are correct with those conditions. I do want to let you know as well that when it says recurring it just means at least two times. So for the pre-authorized debit and direction deposit criteria, you need to receive the first before June 14 and then at least one more.
KOODO 18GB/$55
TANGERINE $0.00 monthly fees
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
1506 posts
1101 upvotes
Oakville
qbarnes95 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 5:20 pm

time to sign up, thanks for being the guinea pig.
Sleepyzz wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 5:59 pm

Hope you don't mind me quoting you on the first post to give others a bit of confidence.
I would have tried it myself, but I alrdy got the $500 from the BC one last time.

If anyone else has confirmations from TD CSR let us know!
No worries! I figured worst case they would deny the promotion before I funded the account and I would close it right away.
Hope it helps!
Feb 11, 2016
38 posts
73 upvotes
71brotim wrote: Easy as 1, 2, 3

Online Chat after I opened the account.

Me: I just opened up an all inclusive chequing account and just wanted to make sure that I am eligible for the $500 when I meet the following criteria

Agent: Great question! I can certainly help you with that. To confirm, did you receive an email/letter regarding this promotion or see if on EasyWeb?

Me: I saw it on easyweb

Agent: Okay perfect thank you. I did just want to confirm as it is a targeted offer for individual customers. In that case, you are correct with those conditions. I do want to let you know as well that when it says recurring it just means at least two times. So for the pre-authorized debit and direction deposit criteria, you need to receive the first before June 14 and then at least one more.
Did you alreadyy have easyweb with them?
Oct 13, 2017
65 posts
68 upvotes
Halifax
Just an FYI for everyone who is applying without receiving the promo directly. I just applied and called TD Canada Trust to confirm that I am eligible, and they told me we have a list of customers that are already pre-qualified for this promo, and unless your name on this "checklist" you are not eligible. I was not eligible.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2009
1408 posts
274 upvotes
Renous
SavvyShopperCa wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 7:43 pm
Just an FYI for everyone who is applying without receiving the promo directly. I just applied and called TD Canada Trust to confirm that I am eligible, and they told me we have a list of customers that are already pre-qualified for this promo, and unless your name on this "checklist" you are not eligible. I was not eligible.
Bummer!
Reserved for future time travellers
Apr 20, 2006
86 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, but just for the TD Infinite Aeroplan CC that I opened with them a couple of weeks ago. No other accounts.
KOODO 18GB/$55
TANGERINE $0.00 monthly fees
May 6, 2008
57 posts
7 upvotes
SavvyShopperCa wrote:
I got the promo in 2017 and in 2018. Still tempted to apply. It is all depends how their system/backend tracks these things. I was ineligible in 2018 after getting previous promo, but still got it.

Now the real question is their back end fixed or CS just spouting things because it is mentioned in terms and conditions?

Also, it makes no sense since people see it on their Facebook page. Does that mean that TD somehow put them on the checklist and advertised directly to them?
Feb 24, 2004
120 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
SavvyShopperCa wrote:
Same thing happened to me. After applying and contacting them, I was told I am not eligible since I am not apart of the promo list that is for existing TD members. Oh well.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
1322 posts
424 upvotes
The $500 cash offer is available to Canadian residents [...] who:(a) Receive this targeted offer via e-mail or mail;
[...]
The following individuals are not eligible for the $500 cash offer: i. Had a TD chequing account that was closed on or after March 10, 2018; or ii. Received any chequing account offer from TD in 2016, 2017, 2018
I'm triple-disqualified ahaha
Aug 9, 2012
36 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA
Are there any ways other than storing $5k in the account to wave the $29.99 monthly fee? I have a CC with them and also most of my investments, I just don't like keeping cash sitting in an account not working for me.
Jul 8, 2017
45 posts
23 upvotes
So you are not elgible unless you are on TD's "list". How do you get on this list? Some are claiming they are just signing up for an account using OP's link and CS stating they're qualified to receive the bonus. How is this possible?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15005 posts
7360 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
crags13 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 11:47 pm
Are there any ways other than storing $5k in the account to wave the $29.99 monthly fee?
General answer: No.

It may be possible if you have a TD Relationship Manager. But to have one you'd need [IIRC] at least $1M in assets at TD. In that case keeping a balance of $5k wouldn't be an issue.
I just don't like keeping cash sitting in an account not working for me.
Do you have an emergency fund in an HISA? If so then the decision should hinge on the cost of foregone interest, i.e. the interest you'd earn in the HISA compared to the value you get from an All-In account.

If you don't have an emergency fund then perhaps you ought to consider creating one. Then revisit the decision about where to keep it.

And yes, if you keep the emergency fund in All-In and need to use it, you'll start paying $30/month until you get back to $5k. OTOH if you take a cash advance on a CC to handle the emergency you'll pay ~20% in interest. 20% on $5k is $83/month. That makes the All-In look even better.
veni, vidi, Visa