TD Bank Stock getting crushed!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2017 6:55 am
Tags:
Apr 12, 2012
798 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
This is a non-factor from shareholders' point of view because if the tellers are quitting, they will hire new tellers. It's just free economy at work. TD will do just fine.
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2014
1939 posts
2938 upvotes
Burlington, ON
stt55pot wrote: It is just the beginning.
The beginning of what? You know I've seen at least an article claiming that there will be a banking crisis or crash in Canada every week for the last twenty five years. Here we sit with the banks near all time highs.

Tell me all about your fears. I'm sure they are just as valid.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1011 upvotes
Saskatoon
Gungnir wrote: The beginning of what? You know I've seen at least an article claiming that there will be a banking crisis or crash in Canada every week for the last twenty five years. Here we sit with the banks near all time highs.

Tell me all about your fears. I'm sure they are just as valid.
The biggest risk I see is coming from online banks ( like tangerine) and cashless economy.
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2009
5886 posts
4816 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ukrainiandude wrote: The biggest risk I see is coming from online banks ( like tangerine) and cashless economy.
A cashless economy would actually help banks cut costs. Banks make money by providing financing. Households and businesses will always need to fund their capital projects and working capital. Canadian banks are oligopolies but the costs and ease of access actually compares quite favorably to other jurisdictions. The banks would like to greatly reduce their retail branches because they don't make money and are mostly staffed by and provide services to ungrateful malcontents. However, part of the costs of being granted an oligopoly is banks are required ,by law, to provide "access to basic banking".

Just make sure your holdings are diversified, I limit my exposure to financials to 20% (it's around 5% now) and also hold US and Australian banks.
Last edited by zakarydoks on Mar 12th, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you buy vgro for a thousand years Vancouver homes will still be out of reach.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 9, 2013
5882 posts
7460 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
ukrainiandude wrote: The biggest risk I see is coming from online banks ( like tangerine) and cashless economy.
I'm not sure I understand - can you explain further what you mean?
Buy right, hold tight. Keep calm and go long.
Mar 8, 2015
204 posts
61 upvotes
stt55pot wrote: you paid to say good things about TD. I know people at Royal bank, CIBC.
Yeah and I also used to work for CIBC, so what's your point? I just gave my 2 cents based on what i know as both a former employee and investor, and i'm confident i'm right. If you really want to bet against TD, or any big 5 for that matter, i'd suggest pulling up a long-term chart over the past 20 years before you actually go and start short selling. Again, i re-emphasize that I absolutely hated working at TD, but even i know a solid company when I see one and I don't let personal/emotional reasons cloud my judgement.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1011 upvotes
Saskatoon
treva84 wrote: I'm not sure I understand - can you explain further what you mean?
Thousands online banks will be created, capitalization of big 5 will augment tenfold , it's shares will lose value, profits will fall. Bricks and mortar banks will fall into oblivion.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
Do you have shares in TD? From the company plan when you were working there?

The td i go to, this elder lady said she had and she has a million dollars worth of shares.
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
ukrainiandude wrote: Thousands online banks will be created, capitalization of big 5 will augment tenfold , it's shares will lose value, profits will fall. Bricks and mortar banks will fall into oblivion.
Can I buy you a tinfoil hat?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1011 upvotes
Saskatoon
bewiseman wrote: Can I buy you a tinfoil hat?
If have not read the report that Canada will lose 40% of jobs to automation and AI in the next decade, or think it will not have affect on banks clients. You can buy me one.

Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2905 posts
2578 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting to see how the stock will trade in the coming weeks. Hopefully an even bigger sale! Great long term hold regardless.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2014
1939 posts
2938 upvotes
Burlington, ON
stt55pot wrote: Do you have shares in TD? From the company plan when you were working there?

The td i go to, this elder lady said she had and she has a million dollars worth of shares.
You just wrote that you think that TD should be "investigated" and that you purchased puts on the stock. It doesn't seem likely that you would bank there and ask elderly ladies about the millions of dollars of stock they would own.

I dunno man, you seem to have an axe to grind with TD.
Mar 8, 2015
204 posts
61 upvotes
stt55pot wrote: Do you have shares in TD? From the company plan when you were working there?

I have shares because i bought on this dip. The bank I work for, mean while, hit a new all-time high the day before this TD decline. If you're going to overweight one sector in Canada it probably should be financials, everything else is too commodity based in this country.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2007
5018 posts
2175 upvotes
After banks had huge run up, I don't see enough opportunity, need a larger drop to get excited.
Jan 29, 2008
465 posts
69 upvotes
Hi guys! I have 3500$ in my TD webbroker account and been looking for an investment to buy. This is intriguing to me. Seeing as it is a Sunday night, how should I go abouts buying this? With Market or Limit?

Sorry I'm still a little new to this and just want to make sure it's still a good idea to invest in. I am currently invested in TD E-series and Mawer funds.

Thanks!
Here for a solid deal
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
What they should be investigating is how some mortgage brokers for the big banks (and hell lots of brokers) have been manipulating income for clients for mortgages (mainly self-employed, self-reported).

This is what should be really investigated and what I think would truly burst the bubble..
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
fix23 wrote: Hi guys! I have 3500$ in my TD webbroker account and been looking for an investment to buy. This is intriguing to me. Seeing as it is a Sunday night, how should I go abouts buying this? With Market or Limit?

Sorry I'm still a little new to this and just want to make sure it's still a good idea to invest in. I am currently invested in TD E-series and Mawer funds.

Thanks!
depends what it starts to trade at -- it could be up 3%, it may be down more... depends but TD needs to come out with a very strong rebuttal in order to get this stock moving higher again.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
bewiseman wrote: Can I buy you a tinfoil hat?
Its not far fetched what he is saying -- Amazon pretty much has killed much of retail almost single handily...

The big 5 have a huge market share so not too scared but if millennials start to bank differently, lots could change in 1-2 decades...
Jan 29, 2008
465 posts
69 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: depends what it starts to trade at -- it could be up 3%, it may be down more... depends but TD needs to come out with a very strong rebuttal in order to get this stock moving higher again.
Thanks Sanyo. Do you know what Webbrokers fee for buying/selling this stock is?
Here for a solid deal

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)