Credit Cards

Locked: TD Cash Back Visa/Visa Infinite Cards out now!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2019 2:45 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 26, 2016
249 posts
144 upvotes
I agree with all the commentary that Scotia Momentum is better if you are not with TD, there are a lot of people with the All-Inclusives who probably would opt for this over the Aeroplan or First Class, and it may help drive in more business for people using TD banking and getting the AI accounts.

The other thing to be curious of is the line "It has same insurances as the other TD Visa Infinite Cards." The Aeroplan and First Class cards come with a decent insurance package, and while I'm sure just about everyone here has some kind of travel rewards card to cover that base, lots of people only using a single card may find this useful if it does actually measure up to the other two.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16330 posts
3401 upvotes
Toronto
Does it have all these? This is from TD's First Class Visa Infinite:

Wherever you're headed on your next trip, know that you're covered.

Travel Medical Insurance8

You're covered without even having to charge the trip to your Card! As the Primary Cardholder, whenever you leave your province or territory of residence, you, your spouse and dependent children are automatically insured for upfront payments of eligible medical emergency expenses for $1 million for the first 21 days, without having to pay extra for the coverage. If you or your spouse is aged 65 or older, you are covered for the first 4 days of your trip.

Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance9

Simply use your Card to cover the full cost of your trip and you'll automatically be covered for up to $1,500 per insured person to a maximum of $5,000 for all insured persons, if you need to cancel your travel plans before you leave, for one of the covered causes, and up to $5,000 per insured person, to a maximum of $25,000 for all insured persons for eligible out-of-pocket expenses, if your trip is interrupted by medical and/or non-medical covered causes for a covered person or family member.

Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance19

Charge your fare to your Card and you, as the Primary Cardholder, your spouse and dependent children are insured for up to $500,000 while travelling on a common carrier (for example, a bus, ferry, plane, train or auto rental).

Emergency Travel Assistance Services10

Help is just a call away. Toll-free access to help in the event of a personal emergency while travelling. Call 1-800- 871-8334.

Delayed and Lost Baggage Insurance4,20

If your baggage is delayed more than 6 hours, each covered person is covered for emergency purchases of essentials such as clothes and sundry items. Each covered person is also covered should baggage be lost by a Common Carrier. The total benefits payable in respect of both delayed and lost baggage are subject to a maximum of $1000 per covered person per trip.

Receive special automotive benefits that help you get from A to B.

Auto Rental Collision/ Loss Damage Insurance13

Use your eligible TD Credit Card to charge the full cost of a car rental and get the Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance at no additional cost for up to 48 consecutive days.

Avis Rent-A-Car and Budget Rent-A-Car preferred rates14,15

Save 5% to 25% off the lowest available discountable time and mileage retail rate on qualifying car rentals from Avis and Budget when the rental is charged to your Card.
For Avis rentals, visit avis.com/tdcreditcards or call 1-800-879-2847 to reserve.
Quote Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) #C078400 at time of reservation.
For Budget rentals, visit budget.com/tdcreditcards or call 1-800-268-8900 to reserve.
Quote Budget Customer Discount (BCD) #A331700 at time of reservation.
Optional TD Auto Club Membership16

With optional Deluxe or Standard TD Auto Club Membership, you and your family will enjoy peace of mind knowing that in the event of a road emergency, help is just a phone call away. For information and to enroll, call 1-800-245-0297.

---

So I'm assuming the new TD 3/3/3/1% cash back card would not include Auto Club.
Nov 9, 2015
354 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sundawner1 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 12:45 pm
Looks like crap comparing to Scotia Infinite, which is still the golden standard for cashback cards.

Anything less than 0.5 % cashback on a credit card is a joke.
MBNA SC is the golden standard here and Tangerine MC until the card got nerfed to 0.5 % on non-bonus categories.

At 99$, Scotia Momemtum is even cheaper.

I am curious how many people would jump the ship and jump on All- Inclusive account offers from Scotia to get the fee waived if Scotia had one.

I applaud TD for trying.

I meant at least 1%.

Totally agree with you.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
1626 posts
1201 upvotes
Toronto
Scotia Infinite is better. I wish they had a way to have the fee waived by having a certain account or something
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4408 posts
1396 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 1:30 pm
Anything less than 1% is a joke to be honest. Most credit card issuers these days have at least 1 no annual fee credit card, that pays 1% return.
Heck even Home Trust now has a free 1% cash back card, WITH NO FOREX, AND free roadside assistance!
So don't applaud TD just yet. Those cards are nothing special!
Am I missing something here? It sounds like the D Cash Back Visa Infinite Card is offering 3% cashback on grocery and gas. Is there a card that beats this for cashback?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16330 posts
3401 upvotes
Toronto
choclover wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:16 am
Am I missing something here? It sounds like the D Cash Back Visa Infinite Card is offering 3% cashback on grocery and gas. Is there a card that beats this for cashback?
Yes, as mentioned, the Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite is better in this regard, at 4% for gas and groceries, 2% for drug stores, and 2% for recurring payments. That's excellent. The main problem is that it's 1% on other stuff, which is why I'm paying for a flat 2% card. I don't buy much gas (since I have a plug-in hybrid), and my wife buys most of the groceries. For example, if I buy a $1000 computer, I'd like to collect 2% instead of 1%.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to get the Scotia one's fee waived. The huge, huge bonus for the TD 3% card is that those of us with all-inclusive chequing accounts can get the credit care for $0 per year.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
4002 posts
2308 upvotes
choclover wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:16 am
This card sucks compared to Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite and CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite.
😎 "How do you like to pay?" "American Express!" 😄
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1834 posts
62 upvotes
Vaughan
TD Cash Back Visa Infinite Card can work nicely if you have all inclusive TD account and spend enough on credit cards to make it worth your while after AFs.
For example:
Scotia Momentum Infinite Visa - 4% groceries and gas.
TD Cash Back Visa Infinite Card - 3% for recurring payments (cellphones, TV, internet, 407, gym membership, etc)
Capital One AWE MC for everything else - 2%
Temp. Banned
Aug 24, 2016
5167 posts
4188 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
fooit wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 2:10 pm
TD Cash Back Visa Infinite Card can work nicely if you have all inclusive TD account and spend enough on credit cards to make it worth your while after AFs.
For example:
Scotia Momentum Infinite Visa - 4% groceries and gas.
TD Cash Back Visa Infinite Card - 3% for recurring payments (cellphones, TV, internet, 407, gym membership, etc)
Capital One AWE MC for everything else - 2%
You would have to spend a heck of a lot to justify having 3 high annual fee cards. Even if you do get the TD card fee waived, the other 2 will cost you $250 a year.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5285 posts
1882 upvotes
Kingston, ON
coolintheshade wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 5:38 pm
You would have to spend a heck of a lot to justify having 3 high annual fee cards. Even if you do get the TD card fee waived, the other 2 will cost you $250 a year.
Breakeven on $99 for 4% vs 3% gas&grocery (assuming 'free') is $9,900 annual or $825/mo spend. High but definitely possible. If you spend more than that you'd probably bump into TD's category limits.

Breakeven for 2% vs 1% on "everything else" (incl Costco, which doesn't take Visa) is $15,000/$1,250. High, to be sure, but for some people they could hit that in a few large purchases a year.
May 28, 2007
730 posts
191 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 1:30 pm
Anything less than 1% is a joke to be honest. Most credit card issuers these days have at least 1 no annual fee credit card, that pays 1% return.
Heck even Home Trust now has a free 1% cash back card, WITH NO FOREX, AND free roadside assistance!
So don't applaud TD just yet. Those cards are nothing special!
Not available to Quebecers.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1834 posts
62 upvotes
Vaughan
coolintheshade wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 5:38 pm
Looks like you missed the very first line in my post:
Jan 25, 2017
26 posts
19 upvotes
Can anyone confirm that the 3% cash back is only for the first $5,000 spent annually in each bonus category?

Because that would definitely be a drawback to this card for even moderate spenders.

$5,000 % 12 = $416/month. I'd say that only a single person household would not break the cap on grocery spending. I am single and spend approx. $350 every month on groceries.

Gas i'm easily spending $200/month with one car and it is a Honda Fit. Easy for a 2 car household to break $400/month on gas and max out the 3% cash back on gas.

My recurring bills are $341/month. Add insurance for another car as well as another cell phone line and your'e breaking $400/month and will max out the 3% cash back on recurring bills.

The Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite will most definitely provide more cash back with 4% gas and grocery (on first $25,000) and 2% on drug stores and recurring bills (another $25,000) however, the annual fee of $99 for one card ($129 for 2 cards) can't be waived. TD you can have the fee waived and so your annual fee would only really be the lost opportunity on holding $5,000 idle in a checking account. So you would really have to carefully look at your spending and make all the calculations.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
4002 posts
2308 upvotes
Same mentioned by MountainView11, if they really limit the 3% cash back for the first 5k in each category, it definitely won't work for a family. It could be tight even if you are single.

In my case, I have a family, and it will be over their $416 mark on 2 of 3 categories.

Grocery:
Around $150/week, over $600/month

Gas:
2 cars, around $200/month

Bills:
- TV, Internet, Home Phone $135/month
- Cell Phone $165/month
- Public Transit $270/month
Total $570/month

Scotia and CIBC set the limit WAY higher (CIBC: $80,000 annually combining 4% and 2% categories, OR $20,000 annually for each 4% and 2% category) and technically it is impossible go over it, plus lower annual fee... I really don't see a single reason to choose the TD card. Even though you have the TD AI account to waive the fee, it won't be hassle-less. Every time you buy something, calculation must be done to avoid going over the $416 mark lol......

$416 only for each category per month, it is extremely easy to pass that line. You don't even have a chance to think about buying gift cards in a grocery store.

Not for me.
😎 "How do you like to pay?" "American Express!" 😄
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16330 posts
3401 upvotes
Toronto
It's not $416 per month of course. You can max out the limit in a category in say 6-8 months and then just stop using it for the rest of the year.

That's for all-inclusive chequing account holders.