Credit Cards

Locked: TD Cash Back Visa/Visa Infinite Cards out now!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2019 2:45 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16410 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
EDL67134234 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 12:35 am
I like the flexible payout option for TD VI at $25 I believe. I have Scotia Momentum and preauthorized payments are hit and miss so far. Gotta say, annual payout structure sucks. I think Meridian Visa Infinite is in that sense where you can redeem at $50 intervals. which is $1250 spend on Groceries.No use for me to have TD All inclusive account. PCF WE is good enough for me since I shop at No Frills/ Loblaws/ Shoppers anyways.
Just to be clear, TD CBV's cash back used to be an annual cheque every January. On Monday, when I realized this year's cheque hadn't arrived I looked more closely on EasyWeb. Lo and behold you can now redeem accrued cash back, minimum $25 at a time, as a credit on your CBV account. No need to wait for January. A couple of clicks later and nearly $700 got redeemed. BTW it took overnight for the transaction to post. IMO this is a huge improvement over the old system.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1192 posts
328 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 7:30 am
Yup. And everyone's is different. (We of the grey hair set also have Plan 60 [for those over 60, no longer offered--literally "grandfathered"] that provides free banking with no minimums. I use that for daily banking and keep $5k in the All-In just for its benefits. The only activity in the All-In account are TD's monthly $29.99 debits and offsetting credits.)
1. There are other benefits like free deluxe auto club as a byproduct of the CB Visa, but also free US$ account and checking, etc. Again you have to do the analysis. Another benefit for those who have a brokerage account with TD DI or other TD products is the convenience of being able to manage money from a single institution. Even location of TD ATMs and bank branches could be a factor for some, e.g. who need to deposit/withdraw cash, including US$, deposit cheques and checks that can't be handled by TD's app, etc. (Even so I'd encourage people to have accounts with other FIs to benefit from higher interest rates, thwart TD's right of offset, etc.)
2. If you need to dip into the $5k in an emergency, the monthly fee is $30. OTOH carrying that $5k on a 20%+ credit card costs $80+/month. So for some it may be worth looking at that $5k as an emergency fund that incurs the occasional monthly charge when needed.

That said, I'd encourage @litebrite to first call TD and try to cancel his card just before the AF becomes due. There's a chance they'll try to "retain" him with another free year. If not, don't cancel. Hang up. Then call again later, get a different agent and go through the process @titaniumtux suggested. If you can get the CB V free for another year then you can wait to see what bonuses TD has to offer in the next year as Air Canada rolls out their new Aeroplan and TD tries to attract more AP Visa customers.
You mention
free US$ account and checking

Is this a benefit from having all inclusive account?
I don't see this.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16410 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
wra45mon wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 10:11 am
You mention
free US$ account and checking

Is this a benefit from having all inclusive account?
I don't see this.
Good catch. Seems they've changed it. Now you need US$3k balance to waive monthly fee on US$ Borderless checking account. Or with lower balance and All-In you pay $2/month instead of $5/month.

And I forgot to mention that this also includes "free" US$ Visa card instead of regular $39/year AF.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 1, 2018
848 posts
880 upvotes
Montréal
EdisonL299 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 12:18 am
This card is a no brainer if you have All Inclusive account. If not, Scotiabank Momentum Visa Infinite is better, unless you have a lot of bills to pre-authorize.
This card is way better than PCF WE and TWE if you can get it for free. 3% cash back, vs. 3% store credit.

I agree that cash is better than a store card.

I product switched to this from the TD First Class Travel Infinite, which I used to have but was no longer really serving my purposes since they devalued the rewards to a piddly 1.2% flat across the board (unless you book with their Expedia for TD system, which, just, don't.) I have better cards for travel now -- namely, the Scotiabank Passport Visa -- and I wasn't using the TD card as a travel card, so I figured, hey, 3% on groceries and pre-authorized bills? Why not. I was also able to max out the 9% WB for the first 90 days on those categories, which was worth a cool $315.

If I didn't have the all-inclusive banking fee waiver, I'd probably just product switch this to the free version of the cashback card and use it infrequently as a drawer card. But TD is good about allowing product switches. It's my oldest credit card -- I've had it in some version or another for more than 20 years, starting with a basic TD Green Visa way back when. And it also has the highest CL of all my cards, so it's a good emergency backup for me.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12294 posts
4109 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Darkman wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 2:14 am
My step daughter couldn't start her car a week or two ago ...

So I remembered about Free Auto Club(s) that I have now on 3 credit cards - Home Trust / Canadian Tire ( Triangle ) / TD CB Visa Infinite ...

Decided to give TD Auto Club a try (via this Visa).

Everything went smooth ... called for service call .... they said help will be there within 45 min to 1 hour ...

The help showed up in about 30 min (via Dr. Hook ... okay company) .... and boosted the car no problem.

Didn't have to show the driver my TD Visa card ... everything was negotiated via Auto Club, more likely.
That was my experience last winter as well. I was in my wife's 9 year old car (with stock battery) and waiting while the stereo was on. It was also pretty cold outside. After half an hour of waiting, tried to start the car and no go so called the TD Auto Club for a boost. They arrived within 15 minutes and within a few minutes he got us back on the road. Didn't have to show our credit card to the guy who showed up.
Deal Fanatic
May 7, 2007
7368 posts
2405 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 1:24 pm
That was my experience last winter as well. I was in my wife's 9 year old car (with stock battery) and waiting while the stereo was on. It was also pretty cold outside. After half an hour of waiting, tried to start the car and no go so called the TD Auto Club for a boost. They arrived within 15 minutes and within a few minutes he got us back on the road. Didn't have to show our credit card to the guy who showed up.
Her car didn't start again today ....

So called Home Trust Visa's Roadside Assistance not too long ago ...

Allowed 4 service calls a year with this one (TD Visa might be "unlimited" service calls ... but who knows ... not sure).

They said they contacted the service company ... some "Solutions Response" or something like that (not Dr. Hook like TD did last time) ... and it's going to be 2 hours maximum.

1 hour went by already ... they are still not here. .... maybe will take full 2 hours, who knows... It's cold here in Winnipeg currently.

Anyhow ... for variety wanted to try Home Trust ... Maybe next time will try Canadian Tire auto club :)
Deal Fanatic
May 7, 2007
7368 posts
2405 upvotes
Darkman wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 7:44 pm
Her car didn't start again today ....

So called Home Trust Visa's Roadside Assistance not too long ago ...

Allowed 4 service calls a year with this one (TD Visa might be "unlimited" service calls ... but who knows ... not sure).

They said they contacted the service company ... some "Solutions Response" or something like that (not Dr. Hook like TD did last time) ... and it's going to be 2 hours maximum.

1 hour went by already ... they are still not here. .... maybe will take full 2 hours, who knows... It's cold here in Winnipeg currently.

Anyhow ... for variety wanted to try Home Trust ... Maybe next time will try Canadian Tire auto club :)
Waited 3.5 hours .... but Home Trust's "Solution Response" did a good job ... gave my step daughter a boost and now she is on the road again.

Originally I was told that it will be 2 hours max ... After 2 hours and 10 min I called Roadside Assistance of theirs ... they talked to Service company ... and told me sorry but the company is extremely busy ... (they only do minor stuff -- like boosts, etc ... that company ... and not tows for example etc etc).

Home Trust told me that no one is taking phone calls now ... everything is extremely busy, including Dr. Hook

Told me we are number 3 ... and company should arrive in around another 30 - 40 minutes...

Anyhow ... 3.5 hours in total.

But meanwhile I decided to call directly to Dr. Hook ... just to inquire....

Dr. Hook told me that the wait time now 48 hours ... that they are behind ... and still doing calls from 2 days ago ... when we had -40 outside.

Then my mother told me she watched on TV that there were 3000 phone calls for boost and other service ... during last couple of days.

So 3.5 hours from Home Trust's agent ... is really a blessing ... considering the guy did great job boosting my step daughter's car battery.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16410 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Darkman wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 10:44 pm
Dr. Hook told me that the wait time now 48 hours ... that they are behind ... and still doing calls from 2 days ago ... when we had -40 outside.
If it makes you feel any better even CAA, who charges premium rates for their services, is vulnerable to this, e.g. Calls for help to CAA up 1,000% in southern Ontario cold snap.

Then again, what's so unusual about -40C in Winterpeg? ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 22, 2001
919 posts
364 upvotes
Vancouver
Has anybody else had trouble interpreting the itemized cashback on the TDRewards website?

I product switched to the Cash Back Visa Infinite Card on November 16 when there was a 9% cashback offer for the first 3 months. I was happily earning 9% cashback and each transaction was correctly reported with corresponding dollar amounts as follows:
PURCHASE 1%
CASH BACK CATEGORY ACCELERATOR 2%
CASH BACK WELCOME BONUS 3%
CREDIT CARD EARN ACCELERATOR 3%
(total 9%)

Then suddenly on January 23 I stopped receiving the CREDIT CARD EARN ACCELERATOR 3% and was basically only getting 6% cashback.

On February 14 I got a single CREDIT CARD EARN of $13.17 - not sure where this came from or how it was calculated? My statement date was February 4.

I called last week to ask when my 3 months welcome bonus would end, and was told February 16, since I product switched on November 16. However, I made purchases on February 15 and none of those received the welcome bonus.

And finally, one purchase in January showed up on my credit card statement but is nowhere to be found on the TDRewards itemized section, so it didn't even earn 1%.

Am I the only one scrutinizing each line to make sure that it's accurate?

I called and it took over an hour to speak to a supervisor who was just as confused, and apparently they cannot even see the itemized rewards page. I got offered a bill credit for the inconvenience as "the rewards are automatically calculated". Seems highly unreliable?!?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5080 posts
1768 upvotes
AEmgee wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2019 12:31 am
Has anybody else had trouble interpreting the itemized cashback on the TDRewards website?

I product switched to the Cash Back Visa Infinite Card on November 16 when there was a 9% cashback offer for the first 3 months. I was happily earning 9% cashback and each transaction was correctly reported with corresponding dollar amounts as follows:
PURCHASE 1%
CASH BACK CATEGORY ACCELERATOR 2%
CASH BACK WELCOME BONUS 3%
CREDIT CARD EARN ACCELERATOR 3%
(total 9%)

Then suddenly on January 23 I stopped receiving the CREDIT CARD EARN ACCELERATOR 3% and was basically only getting 6% cashback.

On February 14 I got a single CREDIT CARD EARN of $13.17 - not sure where this came from or how it was calculated? My statement date was February 4.

I called last week to ask when my 3 months welcome bonus would end, and was told February 16, since I product switched on November 16. However, I made purchases on February 15 and none of those received the welcome bonus.

And finally, one purchase in January showed up on my credit card statement but is nowhere to be found on the TDRewards itemized section, so it didn't even earn 1%.

Am I the only one scrutinizing each line to make sure that it's accurate?

I called and it took over an hour to speak to a supervisor who was just as confused, and apparently they cannot even see the itemized rewards page. I got offered a bill credit for the inconvenience as "the rewards are automatically calculated". Seems highly unreliable?!?
Similar thing happened to us. Yes, we reconcile our cashback received with our own calculations and if there is a discrepancy we scrutinize each line to figure out where the shortages are. After much time on the phone with TD Visa, it turns out that there is some kind of problem with their system and that our calculations were correct. We will need to reconcile each month until the promo is over (hopefully not forever) and ask for credit each time we're short. Certainly not the amount of work we were looking for to earn the bonus. Can I ask how much bill credit they gave you for the inconvenience?
Aug 22, 2001
919 posts
364 upvotes
Vancouver
choclover wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2019 1:09 pm
Similar thing happened to us. Yes, we reconcile our cashback received with our own calculations and if there is a discrepancy we scrutinize each line to figure out where the shortages are. After much time on the phone with TD Visa, it turns out that there is some kind of problem with their system and that our calculations were correct. We will need to reconcile each month until the promo is over (hopefully not forever) and ask for credit each time we're short. Certainly not the amount of work we were looking for to earn the bonus. Can I ask how much bill credit they gave you for the inconvenience?
I got back $55 as a bill credit but after I hung up I looked over every transaction with a fine tooth comb and realized that they actually shorted me closer to $90 in cashback! Now I am going to have to call again and escalate to a supervisor to try to get it resolved!
Jan 13, 2016
298 posts
79 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
This is a stupid question, but I don't see on the td rewards site where I can see my list of transactions. What do I click to see this?

Found it. Profile is a stupid place to put it.
Last edited by Latebuyer on Feb 24th, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16410 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Anyone know how to set mobile alerts for this card?

In the past I've set these alerts using the TD Rewards site, but I can't seem to Add the AP Inf card because it's not part of the TD Rewards program. (This too is odd because I've added the TD US$ Cross Border Visa to TD Rewards even though that card doesn't participate in the rewards program either.)

Clipboard01.jpg
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 8, 2014
838 posts
434 upvotes
YVR
I set my alerts on the iOS app. Works instantly.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16410 posts
8735 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
prmetime wrote:
Feb 24th, 2019 2:03 pm
I set my alerts on the iOS app. Works instantly.
Where in the app do you do this? I have the Android app and don't see anything about Alerts apart from securities price and volume alerts.
veni, vidi, Visa