• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2024 2:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
People bickering over trivial things ... this is so RFD.
Loose lips sink ships. | His Majesty's Naval Service
Dec 15, 2018
29 posts
3 upvotes
In order to get the sign up bonus, do I need to refer to some promo code on the paper based application? Or is this automatically applied?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7373 posts
9178 upvotes
Montreal
novc27 wrote: In order to get the sign up bonus, do I need to refer to some promo code on the paper based application? Or is this automatically applied?
It was automatically applied for me.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2953 upvotes
Montreal
Elfwood wrote: The only place I haven't been asked to sign is Popeyes. Sign at McD, WM etc. What does that mean for our future?
I see a big ass in your future.Face With Tears Of Joy

Perhaps fitting since this is a U.S. card.
Wealthsimple Premium
Mar 21, 2018
111 posts
29 upvotes
I got the card just now!
Was wondering, does the regular cashback stack on top of the 200$ bonus?

Funny thing, is now that I dont actually know what to spend the $500 on. Going to get a Tablo dual lite, maybe a Mikrotik or Edgerouter from amazon.com or wherever is cheapest. Whatever is easier to setup; maybe a Lab power supply and oscilloscope.

Any electronic lovers got any advice?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
summerss wrote: I got the card just now!

Funny thing, is now that I dont actually know what to spend the $500 on. Going to get a Tablo dual lite, maybe a Mikrotik or Edgerouter from amazon.com or wherever is cheapest. Whatever is easier to setup; maybe a Lab power supply and oscilloscope.

1. yes it does
  2. perhaps get a new phone?
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Mar 21, 2018
111 posts
29 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
  1. yes it does
  2. perhaps get a new phone?
Thx, so that's an extra $5 assuming 1% cashback.
I am liking my moto e4 plus, but that did remind me that some more storage would be nice, and I keep seeing sales the amazon sandisk.

How many people actually have U.S income? is anyone like me and just happened to get some U.S dollars. I got some TD mutual funds that was in U.S dollars, forgot about it, cashed out when I did not want to be with TD anymore, then did not know what to do with it as I would be charged the horrid 2.5% conversion fee.

This was all before I knew redflags existed. The money I have saved.
Dec 5, 2009
366 posts
170 upvotes
summerss wrote: I got the card just now!

Whenever I don't know what to buy and I need to hit a bonus I just buy gift cards. Lets you procrastinate the decision and I feel I'm less likely to spend money on things that I regret later on
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2015
1312 posts
499 upvotes
Montreal, QC
efrant wrote: So all those companies that I mentioned don't require a signature in the rest of Canada (outside of Quebec)?
I'm in Montreal and I used the card @ Apple, Starbucks & at a couple of restaurants and none required a signature..I was surprised. Maybe you haven't been using your card for awhile :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7373 posts
9178 upvotes
Montreal
nahsha wrote:
I'm in Montreal and I used the card @ Apple, Starbucks & at a couple of restaurants and none required a signature..I was surprised. Maybe you haven't been using your card for awhile :)
I've never bought anything from the Apple store. I use the Starbucks app to pay at Starbucks. Most of the restaurants downtown where I get my lunch DON'T require a signature. But the retailers I frequent (where I've used the card), i.e., IGA, Metro, Provigo, Couche-Tard, Jean Coutu, Uniprix ALL require a signature... as recent as today.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6328 posts
2525 upvotes
does it matter?
after reading just the first post felt a bit dizzy. too many things. Just not worth it.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1049 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
callernamet wrote: after reading just the first post felt a bit dizzy. too many things. Just not worth it.
Then what's the point of this comment?
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
callernamet wrote: after reading just the first post felt a bit dizzy. too many things. Just not worth it.
dekvitaly wrote: Then what's the point of this comment?
It's not for everyone.

But, much of RFD would like a cross-border CC solution without getting exploited by lousy, uncompetitive products.

As a n00b, I was lost in the US banking and CC megathread at first. This thread is the hand-holding that many of us may need to get the best of everything.
  1. what's the point of US merchant acceptance when the picky US merchant has what you want, but refuses all your Canadian cards?
  2. what's the point of expanding financial footprint into the US when Canadian cards are a distant second best?
  3. What's the point of a USD card when the ones issued in Canada have AF, FTF and usually no rewards?
  4. What's the point of future-proofing your finances?
  5. What's the point of not paying 2.5% FTF?

Bah, just use your Rogers store credit card and stick to a one card solution.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6328 posts
2525 upvotes
does it matter?
dekvitaly wrote: Then what's the point of this comment?
Like yours has? Enjoy the Christmas spirits. Or any spirit. You dont have to reply to every comment you hate. Winking Face relax man.
titaniumtux wrote: It's not for everyone.

But, much of RFD would like a cross-border CC solution without getting exploited by lousy, uncompetitive products.

As a n00b, I was lost in the US banking and CC megathread at first. This thread is the hand-holding that many of us may need to get the best of everything.
  1. what's the point of US merchant acceptance when the picky US merchant has what you want, but refuses all your Canadian cards?
  2. what's the point of expanding financial footprint into the US when Canadian cards are a distant second best?
  3. What's the point of a USD card when the ones issued in Canada have AF, FTF and usually no rewards?
  4. What's the point of future-proofing your finances?
  5. What's the point of not paying 2.5% FTF?

Bah, just use your Rogers store credit card and stick to a one card solution.
actually I have never been refused for using Canadian cc. But I have been to many spots which are basically tourists attraction. or some hotels/grocery stores near them.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
callernamet wrote: Like yours has? Enjoy the Christmas spirits. Or any spirit. You dont have to reply to every comment you hate. Winking Face relax man.

actually I have never been refused for using Canadian cc. But I have been to many spots which are basically tourists attraction. or some hotels/grocery stores near them.
Most store fronts will accept foreign issued CC's, especially if it's publicly available goods & service. The domestic merchant acceptance is more important for telecommunications and some online orders with specialized suppliers. If this situation never arises, then don't worry about it. But, many of us on RFD have experienced this issue (myself, along with @HermanH, there was a satellite TV thread that expressed a similar issue not too long ago, and probably many unreported instances). This thread gives you the easiest, best rewarding, no-AF outlet to bypass this. Granted, AmEx GT is second place, but TD Bank, NA will ship the card to your Canadian address, where AmEx US will not.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2008
1195 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
torvalds wrote: DP:
June 19th: Sent in application in via fax
June 20th: They pulled my credit report
June 21st: Got a call from credit department asking me to confirm some personal details
June 26th (Approved): Called them to ask about the status. Turns out it was approved on June 25th

Note: I applied for the Aeroplan Visa instead of the TD Cash - however the application process seems to be exactly the same.

Also another DP. This seems to be the lowest credit limit I've ever had @ 1k USD despite me having great credit and low inquiries in the past year. TD on the Canadian side (and other Canadian institutions) seem to throw 5-10k limits at me.
Hey which form did you use for Aeroplan card. This form does not have the aeroplan option
Deal Addict
May 31, 2018
1207 posts
3038 upvotes
SK
Epic fail for Faxzero. Sent my application via them on Dec 6, received email confirmation the fax was successful, call TD a few times to see how my application was proceeding and they say that haven’t seen it. Hmmm. So I had my local TD branch send it yesterday, and a very pleasant lady from Georgia called me today to confirm some details and said the application would be processed and reviewed shortly.

Here’s hoping for a quick approval and speedy mail service now, as the window is closing to our first excursion to the USA in the new year.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5443 posts
3919 upvotes
Richmond Hill
@dekvitaly That cheque from Harris finally showed up after 1 week. All is good!
Dec 15, 2018
29 posts
3 upvotes
Just got a missed call from the credit department a day after submitting (assume they want to confirm some details). What exactly did they confirm with other people here?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)