Investing

TD e-Series funds Megathread (Post all your questions here)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2017 9:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7139 posts
1700 upvotes

TD e-Series funds Megathread (Post all your questions here)

Reminder: Please post all your TD e-Series questions and queries here. Kindly refrain from opening additional threads to this matter and keep it in this thread so that valuable information can be shared with each other and that assist us all.

Thank you
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
3505 replies
Jan 24, 2013
95 posts
11 upvotes
I just want to say that I did not have to fill out any forms to buy e-series funds.

I just logged into my waterhouse account, selected mutual funds on the left hand options and purchased TDB902 which is the S&P500 index.

You can put in any of the fund codes found here : http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-s ... s-td-offer.

This bypasses the middleman all together, so I'm not sure that this method is approved.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2007
1893 posts
329 upvotes
Springfield
A definite guide to how to open an e-series account?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2012
1405 posts
283 upvotes
ArbitrageOpportunity wrote:
May 23rd, 2013 11:55 am
I just want to say that I did not have to fill out any forms to buy e-series funds.

I just logged into my waterhouse account, selected mutual funds on the left hand options and purchased TDB902 which is the S&P500 index.

You can put in any of the fund codes found here : http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-s ... s-td-offer.

This bypasses the middleman all together, so I'm not sure that this method is approved.

I'm pretty sure waterhouse investors have always been able to just buy e-series funds no differently than buying any other stock, fund, etc.

The people who need to fill out all the forms are the ones who have just a mutual funds account with TD, not a brokerage account with waterhouse. The regular mutual fund account needs to be converted to e-series to be able to buy the funds. Seems like a relic from the days where doing things online was scary to most people, so the bank made you jump through extra hoops.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2022 posts
168 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Outstanding, thanks for following up on my suggestion.

Can we merge the existing TD e-Series threads under this title?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1669 posts
83 upvotes
Ottawa
cjottawa wrote:
May 23rd, 2013 3:52 pm
[*]TDWH TFSA and non-registered accounts have no annual fee, provided you choose electronic statements instead of paper.
I haven't requested electronic statements yet... where can I see how much I'm getting charged for paper statements?
Oct 16, 2007
705 posts
11 upvotes
Has anyone tried to cash out from the TD e-series (TFSA or non-registered) account after the 90 days? I read it is a long process to cash out. Is it true?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16728 posts
1722 upvotes
GTA West
hopsoid wrote:
May 23rd, 2013 12:30 pm
A definite guide to how to open an e-series account?
1. Go to branch, open regular account. Be sure to specify that it's a FUNDS account because not all branch personnel are licensed to do this.
2. Mail in the form to convert it to an e-Series account.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20701 posts
1767 upvotes
boumbo wrote:
May 23rd, 2013 7:59 pm
Has anyone tried to cash out from the TD e-series (TFSA or non-registered) account after the 90 days? I read it is a long process to cash out. Is it true?
90 day what? The early redemption fee is 30-90 days, depending on the fund. You issue a sell order and its liquidated the next day, settling 2 days after.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2001
1426 posts
232 upvotes
GMA
Jucius Maximus wrote:
May 23rd, 2013 8:14 pm
1. Go to branch, open regular account. Be sure to specify that it's a FUNDS account because not all branch personnel are licensed to do this.
2. Mail in the form to convert it to an e-Series account.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!
Step 3 should say: Check your account periodically. When the branch ID changes to 2378, it means your conversion was done successfully and you now have access to e-Series funds.
boumbo wrote:
May 23rd, 2013 8:14 pm
Assuming a bank account is linked with the TD MF account, it's simply a matter of selling units and having the proceedings deposited in your banking account. It's an easy process and it takes just a few days (transaction, settlement and deposit).
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1724 posts
221 upvotes
RMB
boumbo wrote:
May 23rd, 2013 7:59 pm
It will take 3 days to be posted.
Oct 16, 2007
705 posts
11 upvotes
What are the steps to re-balance the funds and how often do we need to do it?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16728 posts
1722 upvotes
GTA West
Thanh wrote:
May 23rd, 2013 10:20 pm
Step 3 should say: Check your account periodically. When the branch ID changes to 2378, it means your conversion was done successfully and you now have access to e-Series funds.
Actually they send you an e-mail when it's converted:

Dear Investor,

We appreciate your business and thank you for converting your TD Mutual Funds* account to a TD eFunds* account.
For security reasons, we have not included your name and account number in this communication. Please do not reply to this e-mail. It is our policy not to send, nor to ask our customers to send account and trade-related information by e-mail.

The Basics
If you are already an EasyWeb (TM) Internet banking customer, access your TD eFunds account by logging into EasyWeb.
If you aren’t an EasyWeb customer, please follow these two simple steps:
1. Call 1-866-222-3456 (select option 2, then 1, followed by 2 again) to register for EasyWeb.
2. Login to EasyWeb at www.tdcanadatrust.com/login

Note: It may be necessary for your first transaction to be done over the phone. This is because there is/was a bug where accounts with $0 balances cannot do online transactions. After that first transaction, then online transactions worked for me.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2001
1426 posts
232 upvotes
GMA
boumbo wrote:
May 23rd, 2013 10:57 pm
What are the steps to re-balance the funds and how often do we need to do it?
It only involves buying assets under their target percentage by selling assets over their target percentage. So if you strategy is 50% Mexican equity and 50% Indonesian bonds and you currently have 600$ in Mexican stocks and 400$ in Indonesian bonds, it would require you to to purchase 100$ worth of bonds after having sold 100$ worth of stocks. Rebalancing can also be done using new contributions to the account.

As to how often you need to do it, there's no good or bad answer. It depends on how values have changed, your risk tolerance, transaction costs, etc.
Jun 8, 2009
374 posts
78 upvotes
pace wrote:
May 23rd, 2013 4:40 pm
I haven't requested electronic statements yet... where can I see how much I'm getting charged for paper statements?
$0. There used to be a $50 yearly admin fee for the TFSA if you weren't on electronic statements, but it was eliminated in 2012.
TD Waterhouse Fee/Commissions