Investing

TD e-Series funds Megathread (Post all your questions here)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2018 2:09 pm
Jan 17, 2009
57 posts
Hi,

I'm new to TD eSeries and couch potato folio for RESP, I was going with the Balanced one ie. 40% TD Bond and 20% for all the others index one Can, US and Int. What I wonder is what is the best asset mix if my daughter is about to turn 10 years old this summer? I know I should start a conservative mix when she gets to her high school years but I wonder if that's the best mix right now? What are your thoughts?

Tnx,
Dec 26, 2013
346 posts
76 upvotes
My daughter is 6 and ive always had it 10/30/30/30, aggressive mix. Like you will start going more conservative 3-4 years out.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
2111 posts
305 upvotes
Montreal
Just purchased my first E-series mutual fund. Was wondering if it's normal to see U.S. conversion rate used: 1.3920 when I login to see my mutual funds on easy web.

Thanks.
| I7 3770K @ 4.2GHZ | ASUS P8Z68 Dlx | Corsair H80 | Kingston 2x4gb Hyperx @ 1600mhz | MSI GTX 1070ti Titanium 8G | Samsung 840 pro 256gb SSD | Silverstone FT-02 | Corsair AX-850 | Audio Engine A2 | Dell U3415W |
|Intel NUC DC3217BY|
Jun 18, 2004
338 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Mcklain wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 12:07 pm
Just purchased my first E-series mutual fund. Was wondering if it's normal to see U.S. conversion rate used: 1.3920 when I login to see my mutual funds on easy web.

Thanks.
It is always there.
Feb 12, 2016
132 posts
7 upvotes
Hey guys, Im new to rfd and have been reading posts for the past few days. I invested in the RBC monthly income fund last year, not knowing anything about investing and listening to an RBC advisor. Then another advisor told me about the Couch potato approach. The td e series seem like a good way to invest( thinking of going 60% equities/40% bonds), then i stumbled upon a post referring to MAW 105. I would like to invest in $10,000 in both. I do not have any direct investing accounts, would TD DI be the best to get these funds? Do they charge to sell MAW 105? All funds are in non registered accounts. Any suggestions would be appreciated for this novice investor.
Dec 26, 2013
346 posts
76 upvotes
Either one will do. Why not the full 250k? Also whats the MER for that RBC fund?
Feb 12, 2016
132 posts
7 upvotes
The mer is 1.2%. I would do it all but the rbc fund is 50% Canadian equities and they have dropped alot in the last year so hoping they will increase alot when opec reduces oil production. Where as global balanced funds haven't dropped in price much. What do u think is better td e series or maw 104/105?
Dec 26, 2013
346 posts
76 upvotes
dealhawk1 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2016 11:16 pm
The mer is 1.2%. I would do it all but the rbc fund is 50% Canadian equities and they have dropped alot in the last year so hoping they will increase alot when opec reduces oil production. Where as global balanced funds haven't dropped in price much. What do u think is better td e series or maw 104/105?
With 100k you could go TDDI, instead of a regular TD Mutual fund account converted to eseries, that way you could buy both eseries and MW105. Either fund is great, with eseries having a lower MER and Mawer being one fund, automatic rebalancing, well managed. Once your RBC 50% equity fund rebounds a bit, then switch that over too. Im sure your advisor will try and talk you out of it though.
Feb 12, 2016
132 posts
7 upvotes
I'm a newbie but when it comes to money I learn fast, me and you are on the same page wilyam lol. I fired all my fin advisors as I learned they are all just salespeople for the banks looking to make commission, that's why I'm here talking to real people that have good ideas that will help us make money for our retirement. I've learned alot off ccp and learned about mawer funds off rfd. Is there any other good mutual funds that you guys would recommend?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
2111 posts
305 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone know how to change where the funds are taken when buying mutual funds? When I sent my application by mail to convert my mutual fund tfsa to a e-series there was a section that I could fill telling them wich account to take the funds from. I filled that section with my tangerine info.

Now I see that I have access to buy e-series but they are taking the funds from my TD chequing account (I wanted the funds taken from tangerine)

I called the phone number on the application but they cant change it and they said to go in branch to do this. I contacted my branch over phone asking them if they could do this and they are not sure and will get back to me....

Any experience here around my problem?

Thanks.
| I7 3770K @ 4.2GHZ | ASUS P8Z68 Dlx | Corsair H80 | Kingston 2x4gb Hyperx @ 1600mhz | MSI GTX 1070ti Titanium 8G | Samsung 840 pro 256gb SSD | Silverstone FT-02 | Corsair AX-850 | Audio Engine A2 | Dell U3415W |
|Intel NUC DC3217BY|
Mar 17, 2004
424 posts
15 upvotes
You probably need to fund your MF account directly. You won't be able to link an external bank account.

For myself, I dont have a Td bank account and need to go into a branch to deposit money into my DI account or use bill payment to transfer funds in.
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2009
1088 posts
328 upvotes
Vancouver
Mcklain wrote:
Feb 15th, 2016 5:49 pm
Anyone know how to change where the funds are taken when buying mutual funds? When I sent my application by mail to convert my mutual fund tfsa to a e-series there was a section that I could fill telling them wich account to take the funds from. I filled that section with my tangerine info.

Now I see that I have access to buy e-series but they are taking the funds from my TD chequing account (I wanted the funds taken from tangerine)

I called the phone number on the application but they cant change it and they said to go in branch to do this. I contacted my branch over phone asking them if they could do this and they are not sure and will get back to me....

Any experience here around my problem?

Thanks.
dealhunting wrote:
Feb 15th, 2016 8:08 pm
You probably need to fund your MF account directly. You won't be able to link an external bank account.

For myself, I dont have a Td bank account and need to go into a branch to deposit money into my DI account or use bill payment to transfer funds in.
They can definitely link to an external account.

When I set up my e-Series account initially I had it funded from my RBC account using info I provided to them in-branch with a void cheque (bank info form works fine). Then later on I closed the RBC account and moved all my funds to TD; switching the funding account to TD was again no problem.

In a couple weeks I will be asking them to switch the funding account to Tangerine, which I imagine won't be an issue, provided the people know what they're doing.

As well, DI accounts work differently than normal MF accounts because we cannot fund them directly with bill payment transfers, hence why external bank links work just fine.
Jan 2, 2011
64 posts
22 upvotes
Definitely a basic question: Can someone recap redeeming td e-series and how they do it. Also is it better to switch all the funds to money market before redeeming? Also is it 90 days or 30 days? What is the 2% fee that may occur? Thanks
Feb 4, 2016
10 posts
East York, ON
Hi, I'm currently in the process of opening an e-series account and I'm a bit confused.

So I'm with RBC and never had a TD account. On Feb 7th I went to a TD branch to open the account and the guy I met seemed pretty confused and wasn't sure what the e-series was. After he got some help he opened some kind of account and gave me a form to fill out that would then convert that account to e-series I think? I put in my RBC bank info and mailed that in. I got an email about a week ago from TD thanking me for updating my email with them and that's all the email contained. Today I got an 18 page TD 'Agreement and Disclosure Document' in the mail. If I just wait do you think there will be another email with like info on how to set up my e-series account?

Thanks!
Feb 15, 2016
1 posts
Recreant wrote:
Feb 16th, 2016 4:17 pm
Hi, I'm currently in the process of opening an e-series account and I'm a bit confused.

So I'm with RBC and never had a TD account. On Feb 7th I went to a TD branch to open the account and the guy I met seemed pretty confused and wasn't sure what the e-series was. After he got some help he opened some kind of account and gave me a form to fill out that would then convert that account to e-series I think? I put in my RBC bank info and mailed that in. I got an email about a week ago from TD thanking me for updating my email with them and that's all the email contained. Today I got an 18 page TD 'Agreement and Disclosure Document' in the mail. If I just wait do you think there will be another email with like info on how to set up my e-series account?

Thanks!
I just recently opened an E-series account as well. I opened a TFSA mutual funds account and mailed in the conversion form that converts the account into a E-series account on January 30th. I then got an email on Feb 12th that confirmed that my mutual funds account was converted into a TD E-Series account, so I think you still need to wait for this email. You should have been given an access card number and password when your account was opened. I wasn't given it when I first opened the account so I had called customer service. They said that the bank was supposed to give you the access card number and password to you even if you do not have a chequing or savings account with TD, so I had went into TD yesterday to ask them for it. The bank rep who helped me wasn't aware they could issue an access card # to those without a chequing/savings account, but she was able to give me one after asking another colleague. I can now access EasyWeb and see my mutual funds account!