Investing

TD e-Series funds Megathread (Post all your questions here)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2017 6:12 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6484 posts
353 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hairball wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 9:51 am
Yes, that's correct, transferred "in kind". If you convert later, the only issue is that you don't have your past transaction history since it's effectively a new account. But they do transfer the book and market value info over.
Hmm, so you suggest opening a TDDI now? It's just over 7k portfolio. The fees can be waived by automatic monthly contribution?

Also is it possible to have a TFSA mutual funds account and RRSP in the same TDDI account? Buying selling funds are done through a brokerage and you can't do it yourself online correct?
Oct 29, 2014
281 posts
56 upvotes
How long would it take to transfer my e series money to my TFSA brokerage account that I have with TD?
Feb 1, 2012
607 posts
483 upvotes
TORONTO
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 5:33 pm
Hmm, so you suggest opening a TDDI now? It's just over 7k portfolio. The fees can be waived by automatic monthly contribution?

Also is it possible to have a TFSA mutual funds account and RRSP in the same TDDI account? Buying selling funds are done through a brokerage and you can't do it yourself online correct?
With TDDI the account maintenance fee is waived if you have $15k or more, or if you have preauthorized contribution of $100/month or more. See the fee schedule here:
https://www.td.com/ca/document/PDF/forms/521778.pdf

TFSA and RRSP must be 2 separate accounts, but can be linked under the same WebBroker login. You can do stock, bond and mutual fund transactions all online. GIC purchase requires a phone call.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Dec 27, 2005
328 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hello all, I'm an existing TD client looking to open TD eseries account. My question is : do I need one TFSA, RRSP and unregistered or 3…?

And what Is the easiest way for me to open
Feb 5, 2017
76 posts
35 upvotes
If you open a TD DI account, you can have any kind of account you want, all available within the same web application.
Non registered, TFSA, RRSP. You can easily move your money between these accounts.
You can feed you TD DI account from any other bank account by doing a Bill payment.
You can park your cash there using a fund which is giving the same 0.75% as other banks.
And when you are ready to invest, it is very easy to do so.
I like a lot the webbroker interface myself.
Plus you have quick answers on the phone.

The only drawback is that you will pay 9,99$ for each transaction (after the promotion is over).
But as I said earlier, 9.99$ is nothing if your portfolio is over 100.000$ and you are buying 10K worth at the same time or more.
Dec 27, 2005
328 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
alexcalvado wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 8:53 pm
If you open a TD DI account, you can have any kind of account you want, all available within the same web application.
Non registered, TFSA, RRSP. You can easily move your money between these accounts.
You can feed you TD DI account from any other bank account by doing a Bill payment.
You can park your cash there using a fund which is giving the same 0.75% as other banks.
And when you are ready to invest, it is very easy to do so.
I like a lot the webbroker interface myself.
Plus you have quick answers on the phone.

The only drawback is that you will pay 9,99$ for each transaction (after the promotion is over).
But as I said earlier, 9.99$ is nothing if your portfolio is over 100.000$ and you are buying 10K worth at the same time or more.
Thanks for the info. What is the other way as I'm just starting out and will be purchasing every month and wouldn't want to pay 9.99 everyday as I'm contributing every month
Feb 5, 2017
76 posts
35 upvotes
Easy, just buy TD e funds in the meantime. Free to buy and sell. Convert every year (or quarter) to an ETF
Feb 5, 2017
76 posts
35 upvotes
For example : you can save around 30000$ a year and you want to invest this amount in your taxable account, all in equities.
As you have the money available, you buy some TD E series funds.
If you want to reduce the amount of fees to a very minimum, you could buy the same E fund for the first 4 months (for example US and Intl equity), then convert to XAW ETF.
Next 4 months, you buy the canadian equity E fund then convert to VCN ETF.
Then for the last 4 months, you buy again the same US and Intl equity then convert to XAW ETF.
At the end of the year, you will have 20K XAW (US + Intl eq) and 10K VCN (CDN eq)
Total fees = 30$ for the year, that's less than the price of two large pizzas
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6484 posts
353 upvotes
Richmond Hill
alexcalvado wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 9:13 pm
For example : you can save around 30000$ a year and you want to invest this amount in your taxable account, all in equities.
As you have the money available, you buy some TD E series funds.
If you want to reduce the amount of fees to a very minimum, you could buy the same E fund for the first 4 months (for example US and Intl equity), then convert to XAW ETF.
Next 4 months, you buy the canadian equity E fund then convert to VCN ETF.
Then for the last 4 months, you buy again the same US and Intl equity then convert to XAW ETF.
At the end of the year, you will have 20K XAW (US + Intl eq) and 10K VCN (CDN eq)
Total fees = 30$ for the year, that's less than the price of two large pizzas
How do you convert? Through WebBroker or you'd have to call someone at TD?

You're talking about through TDDI and not the e-series funds accounts?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20094 posts
3028 upvotes
Waterloo
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 9:58 pm
How do you convert? Through WebBroker or you'd have to call someone at TD?

You're talking about through TDDI and not the e-series funds accounts?
It's not convert/switch, it's Selling e-series, get cash, and buy ETF ($9.99 commission)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20094 posts
3028 upvotes
Waterloo
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 1:04 am
Thanks. And you can only do this via TDDI?
Eh, yes

There is no non-mutual fund (ETF/stock) options in regular TD Mutual Fund/EasyWeb anyway
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4089 posts
1113 upvotes
Kingston, ON
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 1:04 am
Thanks. And you can only do this via TDDI?
You mean as opposed to the TDCT/EasyWeb mutual fund e-series account?

Yes, to buy ETFs you need a full brokerage account (TDDI, Questrade, etc).
Dec 27, 2005
328 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
alexcalvado wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 9:07 pm
Easy, just buy TD e funds in the meantime. Free to buy and sell. Convert every year (or quarter) to an ETF
What would the easiest way to open it? I read somewhere you open a regular mutual fund account then convert? Do I have to go to a branch? If I'm an existing customer

And now that I want to have money in both RRSP And TFSA, I have to open two accounts?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)