Investing

TD e-Series funds Megathread (Post all your questions here)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2017 1:36 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6326 posts
307 upvotes
Richmond Hill
paf wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 9:23 am
What would the easiest way to open it? I read somewhere you open a regular mutual fund account then convert? Do I have to go to a branch? If I'm an existing customer

And now that I want to have money in both RRSP And TFSA, I have to open two accounts?
I went into the branch and opened regular mutual funds accounts (TFSA, RRSP, non-registered) then mailed in conversion forms for all 3.
Dec 27, 2005
258 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 10:32 am
I went into the branch and opened regular mutual funds accounts (TFSA, RRSP, non-registered) then mailed in conversion forms for all 3.
Thanks for your help! Simply explained
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2725 posts
156 upvotes
I have a family account with TD and my online portal shows two separate accounts for each of my children. If I wanted to transfer out the account, is that actually transferring multiple accounts? Or would it transfer as one?
Apr 20, 2011
289 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
I have a RRSP with TD direct investing and have the 4 TD e-series index funds (see attached photo). I have not had much growth over the last 2-3 years as the funds seems to be stuck around ~$11k. I have contributing about $100/month, re-balancing annually, but the growth still appears to be stagnant.

Is this Canadian Couch potato portfolio worth it the long wrong or am I doing something wrong?
Feb 1, 2012
545 posts
425 upvotes
TORONTO
dainfamous41 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2017 4:59 pm
I have a RRSP with TD direct investing and have the 4 TD e-series index funds (see attached photo). I have not had much growth over the last 2-3 years as the funds seems to be stuck around ~$11k. I have contributing about $100/month, re-balancing annually, but the growth still appears to be stagnant.

Is this Canadian Couch potato portfolio worth it the long wrong or am I doing something wrong?
See this link: http://canadiancouchpotato.com/wp-conte ... s-2016.pdf

Portfolio like yours (assertive with 25% bond fund) as of Dec 31 had a 1 yr return of 6.2% and 3 yr compound annualized return of 8.5% and should be up a couple of % in Jan and Feb. How are your measuring your return? You need to compare your current value to your contributions. If you are comparing the market value to the book value in the table you posted, it will be misleading because reinvested distributions will increase the book value. Compare market value to your actual contributions.

Also TDDI has performance reporting that should give your exact performance over several time periods including since inception.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Feb 1, 2012
545 posts
425 upvotes
TORONTO
dainfamous41 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2017 5:27 pm
How do I access the performance reporting?
In TD Direct Investing WebBroker (i.e. not TD Canada Trust) in any screen in the top nav bar click Accounts then Performance. The Personal Rate of Return sub-tab gives exactly your performance based on your own contributions. The Time-Weighted Rate of Return tab gives return that can be directly compared to other performance reports such as Canadian Couch Potato or Morningstar
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Mar 13, 2006
355 posts
175 upvotes
Seems like there is a lot of interest of converting from e series to etfs.

Any benefits of doing so since you are paying commissions on the etf trade every time the conversion transaction happens?
Dec 27, 2005
258 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
donduck wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 10:23 am

Any benefits of doing so since you are paying commissions on the etf trade every time the conversion transaction happens?
Would like to know the same
May 29, 2006
564 posts
109 upvotes
donduck wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 10:23 am

I still have my tfsa in e-series but have moved my larger rrsp to Questrade where etf purchases are free....So transaction costs are not a factor in that scenario
May 3, 2005
911 posts
47 upvotes
Woodbridge
Hi everyone, I've only had my TD e series funds for a year but I was curious what the best way of rebalancing my portfolio using their online webpage? I noticed links for redeem funds and switch funds. Would it be one of these if I was thinking of selling some of say Cdn Index and then buying US Index? Sorry for the newb question.

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
19253 posts
2702 upvotes
Waterloo
lobo wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 4:27 pm
Hi everyone, I've only had my TD e series funds for a year but I was curious what the best way of rebalancing my portfolio using their online webpage? I noticed links for redeem funds and switch funds. Would it be one of these if I was thinking of selling some of say Cdn Index and then buying US Index? Sorry for the newb question.

Thanks.
Yes, that's how I do it, just last Friday

select Money Market Fund (as source)
choose Switch Fund option
choose Target category, then Fund (like Canadian > Canadian-e)
Submit, done
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Feb 5, 2017
41 posts
15 upvotes
I do not get the 'don't buy ETF because cost is 10$ while e-series is free to buy'
10$ is nothing even if you are buying 5000$ worth at the same time (delta of 0.2% first year because of fee )
and should not be a reason either to transfer out from your regular broker to another one.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
1895 posts
209 upvotes
Montreal
jerryhung wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 5:00 pm
Yes, that's how I do it, just last Friday

select Money Market Fund (as source)
choose Switch Fund option
choose Target category, then Fund (like Canadian > Canadian-e)
Submit, done
Would that be the right way to do it even if youre funds are in a TFSA??
If I sell wouldnt it count on the annual 5500$ limit and have to wait till jan 1 2018 to be able to put it back in another TFSA if I dont have anymore room in 2017?
| I7 3770K @ 4.2GHZ | ASUS P8Z68 Dlx | Corsair H80 | Kingston 2x4gb Hyperx @ 1600mhz | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Samsung 840 pro 256gb SSD | Silverstone FT-02 | Corsair AX-850 | Audio Engine A2 | Dell U3415W |
|Intel NUC DC3217BY|
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
19253 posts
2702 upvotes
Waterloo
Mcklain wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 7:15 am
Would that be the right way to do it even if youre funds are in a TFSA??
If I sell wouldnt it count on the annual 5500$ limit and have to wait till jan 1 2018 to be able to put it back in another TFSA if I dont have anymore room in 2017?
I was talking about switching in EasyWeb/Mutual Funds
TFSA = TDDI/TD Waterhouse = You just sell it and re-buy whatever

and read up on how TFSA works. Only withdrawl and contribution counts.
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel