Investing

TD e-Series funds Megathread (Post all your questions here)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2017 7:05 pm
May 3, 2005
950 posts
53 upvotes
Woodbridge
jerryhung wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 5:00 pm
Yes, that's how I do it, just last Friday

select Money Market Fund (as source)
choose Switch Fund option
choose Target category, then Fund (like Canadian > Canadian-e)
Submit, done
Thank you!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
3972 posts
1053 upvotes
Kingston, ON
jerryhung wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 8:13 am
I was talking about switching in EasyWeb/Mutual Funds
TFSA = TDDI/TD Waterhouse = You just sell it and re-buy whatever

and read up on how TFSA works. Only withdrawl and contribution counts.
You can have EasyWeb/Mutual Funds non-registered, RRSP, or TFSA, the same way you can have TDDI accounts that are non-registered, RRSP, or TFSA. TFSA doesn't automatically = TDDI.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6458 posts
345 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jerryhung wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 5:00 pm
Yes, that's how I do it, just last Friday

select Money Market Fund (as source)
choose Switch Fund option
choose Target category, then Fund (like Canadian > Canadian-e)
Submit, done
In this case, the Target would be the fund you wish to switch to? And the Fund would be where you're switching from?
Nov 8, 2011
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I'm looking at my TD easy web account now and cannot figure out how can I select the source account to purchase e-Series Mutual funds from.
I have a mutual funds account, it's converted to e-Series. I can select e-Series funds from the drop-down box and everything looks good, except there is no question about source of the money.
Do you guys have any idea how does this work?

Thanks1
Jan 21, 2008
318 posts
92 upvotes
You should have provided a void check with the e series application. I believe the first page doesn't have a selection of where the money is coming from but once you fill out the order and go to the confirmation page you should see the account # of the account you linked.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2526 posts
366 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I had RRSP, and TFSA with TD. Just normal ones i could see in Easyweb. I then talked to their in house financial advisor and he transferred everything over to webbroker. I can see these accounts in webbroker but i have no ability to buy/change/etc anything. it's view only access. I already confirmed with someone in a previous post with screenshots that i'm missing the button that lets you purchase.

For my own reasons i don't want to move everything now. If i wanted to start experimenting with e-series and get a direct investing account, does all my existing managed webbroker stuff count towards the $15K limit to avoid fees? Or will i need to start with 15K in my new direct investing to avoid the fees?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
1952 posts
244 upvotes
Montreal
jerryhung wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 8:13 am
I was talking about switching in EasyWeb/Mutual Funds
TFSA = TDDI/TD Waterhouse = You just sell it and re-buy whatever

and read up on how TFSA works. Only withdrawl and contribution counts.
I know how TFSA works.
If you use the REDEEM option instead of the SWITCH option on Easy web in youre TFSA to reblance, then this will probably act as a withdrawal and then a new contribution. So if I REDEEM 5.5k$ and then use that money to buy new Units in a different fund to rebalance then I will have already used this years limit and wont be able to contribute more $.
If you use the SWITCH option then it wont count as a new contribution.

Does that make sense?
| I7 3770K @ 4.2GHZ | ASUS P8Z68 Dlx | Corsair H80 | Kingston 2x4gb Hyperx @ 1600mhz | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Samsung 840 pro 256gb SSD | Silverstone FT-02 | Corsair AX-850 | Audio Engine A2 | Dell U3415W |
|Intel NUC DC3217BY|
Feb 1, 2012
585 posts
459 upvotes
TORONTO
You can buy, sell or switch securities all you want within the same TFSA and it will not affect your available contribution room.

If you do a registered transfer from one TFSA to another TFSA it will not affect your contribution room. The institution transferring out may charge you a fee, typically in the range of $50 to $150.

If you withdraw funds in cash from a TFSA you do not get that contribution room back until Jan 1 of the following year.

The Switch function in TD is just a simplified way to do a sell/buy transaction within the same fund family.

Edit: Just realized my answer could be misleading. If the funds leave your TFSA you would not get the contribution room back until the following year, which could happen in TD EasyWeb. I was thinking more of TDDI accounts that let you hold cash. Best to check with TD to be sure how the proceeds of the mutual fund sale would be handled.
Last edited by Deepwater on Mar 1st, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Nov 27, 2011
40 posts
9 upvotes
OTTAWA
I recently opened up a TD Direct Investing TFSA to buy index funds following one of the Canadian Couch Potato allocations. I currently contribute funds from my bank account via Bill Payee to my TDDI account. I do not plan on selling the funds, as I want to hold on to them for a long time (I am looking at a 30+ year window while I work to max my TFSA account).
However, I would like to know the process of selling the funds, if ever I do need to sell. I understand that I can sell units or dollar amounts in the TD Direct Investing Webroker directly, and then after the settle date it goes into the TDDI account as "cash". However, I do not know how to transfer the cash from the TDDI account to my bank account (which is not through TD, it is Tangerine). Can anyone inform me? Thank you very much.
Nov 16, 2013
203 posts
20 upvotes
I have received my TD Eseries statement from TD.

I had followed couch potato staretgy to pick the funds and regular monthly investment During the year.

The statement says that my investment has resulted in negative growth (-.23%) .

Is this correct?
Dec 27, 2005
290 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Post your statement blurring your info.

Really depends on when you invested and your investment ls
vivmk20 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 6:15 pm

I had followed couch potato staretgy to pick the funds and regular monthly investment During the year.

Is this correct?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6458 posts
345 upvotes
Richmond Hill
vivmk20 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 6:15 pm

Is this correct?
Which strategy did you use? Balanced growth, assertive, aggressive etc?
Nov 2, 2007
55 posts
15 upvotes
Is it possible to setup a monthly transfer from TD future builder (RSP) to my TDDI RSP account (to buy e-series)?
Which form do I need to use? Thanks.
Nov 28, 2010
823 posts
101 upvotes
Brampton
theinspiredpoet wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 5:39 pm
I recently opened up a TD Direct Investing TFSA to buy index funds following one of the Canadian Couch Potato allocations. I currently contribute funds from my bank account via Bill Payee to my TDDI account. I do not plan on selling the funds, as I want to hold on to them for a long time (I am looking at a 30+ year window while I work to max my TFSA account).
However, I would like to know the process of selling the funds, if ever I do need to sell. I understand that I can sell units or dollar amounts in the TD Direct Investing Webroker directly, and then after the settle date it goes into the TDDI account as "cash". However, I do not know how to transfer the cash from the TDDI account to my bank account (which is not through TD, it is Tangerine). Can anyone inform me? Thank you very much.
You have to download and complete the electronic funds transfer form found under the other aplivations and forms link found under accounts and self service and attach a void cheque. Once they process the paper work on their end, you have to manually call in every time you want to transfer funds back to that external account.