Investing

TD e-Series funds Megathread (Post all your questions here)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2017 9:07 pm
Nov 27, 2011
37 posts
9 upvotes
OTTAWA
endokuken wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 9:28 am
You have to download and complete the electronic funds transfer form found under the other aplivations and forms link found under accounts and self service and attach a void cheque. Once they process the paper work on their end, you have to manually call in every time you want to transfer funds back to that external account.
Thank you very much, your help is appreciated!
Nov 17, 2014
371 posts
132 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
I have 40k from a TFSA savings account I want to invest. Am I better off using TD ETFs or e-Series?
Nov 16, 2013
193 posts
20 upvotes
May be a dumb question-

How do I check my rate of return on my investment in e series?

Do I go with the Oct - Dec statement which shows my yearly contribution and growth?

It does not show the difference between my contribution and any amount my whic was reinvested.

Hence the confusion
Dec 27, 2005
280 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 10:32 am
I went into the branch and opened regular mutual funds accounts (TFSA, RRSP, non-registered) then mailed in conversion forms for all 3.

If I want to open RESP for my child and put in TD E Series, what would be the best way ?
Jun 24, 2011
156 posts
60 upvotes
West Lafayette, Indi…
Glad I found this thread.

I'd been contributing into my e series funds for two years now. 2016 was a good year with around 14-15% return. However, I don't know if it's possible to transfer between different TD mutual funds, or even just park the money in a TFSA savings account. I actually created a new TFSA savings account but the e-series funds can only be sold into my regular TD checking account. Which will eat up my contribution room if I re-invest. Anybody can help?
Oct 27, 2013
137 posts
25 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
paf wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 8:11 am
If I want to open RESP for my child and put in TD E Series, what would be the best way ?
You need to go to branch and sign forms. Make sure you tell them 10 times that it will be for self directed investments (or they'll set up a regular account). Listen to their 5 minute sales pitch and disregard. Once the account is open you can add index funds, stocks, etfs as you wish.
Dec 27, 2005
280 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, ON
newby1983 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 7:20 am
You need to go to branch and sign forms. Make sure you tell them 10 times that it will be for self directed investments (or they'll set up a regular account). Listen to their 5 minute sales pitch and disregard. Once the account is open you can add index funds, stocks, etfs as you wish.
Thank you . !
Dec 27, 2005
280 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 9:32 pm
Never opened one. Sorry can't help.
Np at all. Thank you

Does anyone know if I'm doing spousal RRSP, how is it different I. Terms of opening the account .

Would it open RRSP, spousal RRSP, tfsa and also a non registered ? Then convert
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2008
1459 posts
183 upvotes
Winnipeg
vivmk20 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 6:15 pm
I have received my TD Eseries statement from TD.

I had followed couch potato staretgy to pick the funds and regular monthly investment During the year.

The statement says that my investment has resulted in negative growth (-.23%) .

Is this correct?

Not sure what you expected in terms of return over one year but judging the effectiveness of it over one year is being preemptive. Ccp is made for passive long term investing I wouldn't even look at returns after 1 year because your emotions are going to get the better of you.
Last edited by bigjee on Mar 11th, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4081 posts
388 upvotes
Mississauga
paf wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 8:11 am
i did this about 5 months ago....i made an appt so i don't need to wait...

bring your paperwork...ie. void cheque, id, your kid birth certificate, eseries conversion form, etc

tell him/her you want to open a td mutual fund account and have it converted to eseries

they will do all the standard paper work, do a risk assessment, issue you a td card for their td easyweb access...

have the rep fill in the eseries conversion form for you and sent via internal mail... it will attach your void cheque

that's about it.... in about a week, you will get email welcoming you as customer and giving you access to easyweb

whatever you contribute in the current month, the government will give the 20% at the end of the next month....

keep in mind that the td resp eseries isn't eligible for the other resp grants (for lower income families) i think
Last edited by Ducky on Mar 11th, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3181 posts
62 upvotes
If I want to transfer my RSP from another brokerage (ex: Sentry) to an existing TD e-series account, are there fees associated? Anyone gone through this before? I was thinking of transferring the money in a mutual fund (money market), then converting it to an existing e-series fund.
Dec 27, 2005
280 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ducky wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 9:26 pm
i did this about 5 months ago....i made an appt so i don't need to wait...

bring your paperwork...ie. void cheque, id, your kid birth certificate, eseries conversion form, etc

tell him/her you want to open a td mutual fund account and have it converted to eseries

they will do all the standard paper work, do a risk assessment, issue you a td card for their td easyweb access...

have the rep fill in the eseries conversion form for you and sent via internal mail... it will attach your void cheque

that's about it.... in about a week, you will get email welcoming you as customer and giving you access to easyweb

whatever you contribute in the current month, the government will give the 20% at the end of the next month....

keep in mind that the td resp eseries isn't eligible for the other resp grants (for lower income families) i think
Thank you !
Jul 13, 2007
521 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
So far I only have a T5008 for the Japan e-series fund that was automatically sold by TD Waterhouse when they closed down the fund.

Should I expect a T3/T5 to show up over the next couple of weeks, or is the T5008 all I will have to work with?
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.
Feb 1, 2012
580 posts
450 upvotes
TORONTO
HammerRFDer wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 7:24 pm
So far I only have a T5008 for the Japan e-series fund that was automatically sold by TD Waterhouse when they closed down the fund.

Should I expect a T3/T5 to show up over the next couple of weeks, or is the T5008 all I will have to work with?
Deadline for issuing T3 is March 31. T5 deadline is end of Feb. Mutual funds usually issue T3.

Note that T3/T5 and T5008 serve different purposes. T3/T5 are for income earned while you hold the investment - interest, dividends, capital gains, foreign income etc. T5008 reports transactions, and is used when you sell an investment to track capital gains/losses on the sale.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.