Investing

TD e-Series funds Megathread (Post all your questions here)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2017 7:05 pm
Mar 16, 2017
1 posts
I opened up a TD e-series account and I am having some trouble with it.

I want to put money into my RSP and TFSA using my linked Tangerine account through the Pre-Authorized Purchase Plan. I went in today to get that set up with the financial advisor and it looks like it's linked to both TFSA and RSP. However, I am confused because I can't select my Tangerine account when I select purchase funds. Does this take a while for it to show up?
Nov 17, 2014
372 posts
133 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
I didn't switch institutions but my TD to TD accounts took awhile to make the transition when I first signed up so presumably they would when switching banks also.
Nov 17, 2014
372 posts
133 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
I have some money that went into cash instead of re-invested in my e-series mutual fund TFSA. I'm pretty sure I selected re-invest for all my funds and this didn't happen for the first week or so. So what exactly is going on and how do I even find the option of whether I want cash or reinvestment? I haven't been able to find it since I purchased the funds.
Jul 11, 2011
715 posts
415 upvotes
Ontario
Copper1212 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 7:18 am
I have some money that went into cash instead of re-invested in my e-series mutual fund TFSA. I'm pretty sure I selected re-invest for all my funds and this didn't happen for the first week or so. So what exactly is going on and how do I even find the option of whether I want cash or reinvestment? I haven't been able to find it since I purchased the funds.
I just got finished with the same search. I saw the option when I originally purchased the funds, but can't see anything to change it now.

Perhaps changing it 'post-sale' may require a phone call to TD-DI?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2008
1511 posts
199 upvotes
Winnipeg
Anyone know how long it takes to transfer tfsa funds from other financial institutions into a newly opened e series account.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6458 posts
345 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bigjee wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 3:23 pm
Anyone know how long it takes to transfer tfsa funds from other financial institutions into a newly opened e series account.
Took about 3-4 weeks for my tangerine tfsa mutual funds to go into my td e-series tfsa account.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5852 posts
316 upvotes
bigjee wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 3:23 pm
Took about 4 weeks from my TFSA to be transferred from People's Trust to Tangerine.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2008
1511 posts
199 upvotes
Winnipeg
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 7:03 pm
Took about 3-4 weeks for my tangerine tfsa mutual funds to go into my td e-series tfsa account.
Octavius wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 12:40 am
Took about 4 weeks from my TFSA to be transferred from People's Trust to Tangerine.

Thanks folks. Anyway to know how much I will be charged to transfer out. Also did td di cover your transfer out fees ?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1871 posts
349 upvotes
Aurora
Copper1212 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 7:18 am
To change your DRIP option you have to phone TD DI.
I went through this with them. They set DRIP up 2 way:
1) Per account (ex. Open/TFSA/RRSP)
2) Per fund/security

By default their accounts are NOT set up to drip. That means anything you put in there will not DRIP. They can enable the entire account to DRIP, which means all present and future securities will automatically DRIP (without having to call them every time). You can only enable this after you have a DRIP eligible security in the account - so you can't just open an account and tell them to make it DRIP, you have to buy something first.

If there is a particular security you don't want to DRIP, you have to call them and they will remove it on that particular security. BUT if one or more securities in your account are not set up to DRIP, you cannot have the automatic DRIP option enabled. So in this case for every new security you purchase that you want to DRIP you'll have to call them to set it up.

They said by default mutual funds are set to drip. So I don't know why yours didn't.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1871 posts
349 upvotes
Aurora
bigjee wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 11:08 am
Thanks folks. Anyway to know how much I will be charged to transfer out. Also did td di cover your transfer out fees ?
I transferred out of Fidelity, but they didn't charge me anything. However TD said if I receive a charge simply show them the invoice and they'll reimburse me up to $150 I believe.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5902 posts
513 upvotes
SW Ontario
TD will allow you to use a non- TD account for funding this mutual fund account right?
Mar 20, 2009
63 posts
27 upvotes
redgrandam wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 11:14 am
TD will allow you to use a non- TD account for funding this mutual fund account right?
I purchase from easyweb and my money is taking from tangerine....no problem here...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5902 posts
513 upvotes
SW Ontario
mathbes wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 11:25 am
I purchase from easyweb and my money is taking from tangerine....no problem here...
Thanks. Going to close my TD chequing account. So just wanted to make sure.
Apr 18, 2013
957 posts
297 upvotes
Manitoba
Up until yesterday I had my TFSA and RRSP mutual funds in the TD I-series, higher MER funds. Yesterday I went to my TD branch to sign the paperwork to open a TD e-series account and transfer my TFSA and RRSP accounts over. They said the transfer will take 5-10 business days. My questions is when my e-series account is up and running and the funds have been moved over, how do I transfer my higher MER I-series funds over to the lower MER e-series funds? I don't want to sell/redeem them, and then re-purchase. Is there a cleaner way to do the transfer while keeping the funds within the RRSP and TFSA?
Nov 8, 2011
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
gbill2004 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 8:58 am
... They said the transfer will take 5-10 business days. My questions is when my e-series account is up and running and the funds have been moved over, how do I transfer my higher MER I-series funds over to the lower MER e-series funds? I don't want to sell/redeem them, and then re-purchase. Is there a cleaner way to do the transfer while keeping the funds within the RRSP and TFSA?
This 5-10 business days process will, in fact, enable your mutual fund accounts (RRSP and TFSA and the others) to hold e-Series funds. Your current holds will stay as they were. It's pretty simple, before you were limited with standard TD funds only, now you have freedom to get e-Series as well.
Here is an article that explains how to make sure that your accounts are transferred: http://www.urbandepartures.com/how-to-o ... s-account/
As the article explains, the the accounts will have a specific numbers pattern.

Once your accounts are transferred, you will be able transfer your funds from old mutual funds to new ones, look at the article here: http://letstalkaboutmoney.ca/step-by-st ... portfolio/
Or simply buy the funds: http://letstalkaboutmoney.ca/step-by-st ... dex-funds/

One more thing that we learned in a hard way, you need to update your investor profile with TD bank. The bank will reject your requests to buy e-Series if your profile is too conservative. It makes sense to call to the bank and update your investment profile before moving holdings to e-Series funds.