Investing

TD e-Series funds Megathread (Post all your questions here)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2017 6:13 pm
Apr 18, 2013
939 posts
286 upvotes
Manitoba
igorkanshyn wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 9:50 am
This 5-10 business days process will, in fact, enable your mutual fund accounts (RRSP and TFSA and the others) to hold e-Series funds. Your current holds will stay as they were. It's pretty simple, before you were limited with standard TD funds only, now you have freedom to get e-Series as well.
Here is an article that explains how to make sure that your accounts are transferred: http://www.urbandepartures.com/how-to-o ... s-account/
As the article explains, the the accounts will have a specific numbers pattern.

Once your accounts are transferred, you will be able transfer your funds from old mutual funds to new ones, look at the article here: http://letstalkaboutmoney.ca/step-by-st ... portfolio/
Or simply buy the funds: http://letstalkaboutmoney.ca/step-by-st ... dex-funds/

One more thing that we learned in a hard way, you need to update your investor profile with TD bank. The bank will reject your requests to buy e-Series if your profile is too conservative. It makes sense to call to the bank and update your investment profile before moving holdings to e-Series funds.
Very helpful. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2278 posts
914 upvotes
I have a bunch of e-series funds in a non-registered account that I'll need to sell soon as I need the money. Does anyone know approximately how many business days it'll take for the funds to appear in my chequing account once I hit the sell button?
Feb 1, 2015
585 posts
122 upvotes
MB
crystallight wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 4:18 pm
I have a bunch of e-series funds in a non-registered account that I'll need to sell soon as I need the money. Does anyone know approximately how many business days it'll take for the funds to appear in my chequing account once I hit the sell button?
The next business day if redeemed before 3 pm EST.
Apr 18, 2013
939 posts
286 upvotes
Manitoba
Once my account is set up, and I transfer over my I series funds to e-series funds, does my PPP automatically transfer over with the transfer to the e-funds, or do I need to set up new PPP's?
Mar 20, 2009
63 posts
27 upvotes
I have 2 questions about an resp with e-series :

How much time it's take to the governement to add the 20% ?

Is the e-series available for the 10 % from the province of Quebec? (QESI)

thank you
Dec 4, 2012
122 posts
86 upvotes
Hello, is there a big difference between opening an e-series through self-directed (Waterhouse) vs. just through EasyWeb? I know you have to maintain a minimum balance for the Waterhouse account/and or contribute the $100/mo. But can I achieve the same thing through opening a MF through just EasyWeb?
May 30, 2015
161 posts
68 upvotes
I have a question about TD MF e-series related with tax return reporting.

I had a MF e-series, Non-Registered account. I created the account in mid 2015.
On Jan 2017 I redeemed the funds and used the cash for investments in TDDI account.

Since I redeemed the cash in Jan 2017, does that mean that it will be reported in tax year 2017?
I did not receive any T3 for this transaction.
I guess my confusion is about which things are considered by fiscal year (Apr 1 to Mar 31 next year) and which things are considered by calendar year.

Thx
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2008
1505 posts
196 upvotes
Winnipeg
pinkfries wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 11:08 am
Hello, is there a big difference between opening an e-series through self-directed (Waterhouse) vs. just through EasyWeb? I know you have to maintain a minimum balance for the Waterhouse account/and or contribute the $100/mo. But can I achieve the same thing through opening a MF through just EasyWeb?
I used method #2 in the link below. And it was setup in less than 10 days (had to call the helpline after 7 days of filling out forms to get login info )
Different ways in which to open e-series account
Jan 30, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
So I have started doing the E-series following the Coach Potato "assertive" model,

- So how much do you guys put in each index fund per month?

Debating whether I should put less or more than $200 (total) a month, as this is a long term savings investment, I don't know whether there is a big rush to put in all my money in it on a monthly basis..
Mar 20, 2009
63 posts
27 upvotes
xMayyy wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 5:50 pm
So I have started doing the E-series following the Coach Potato "assertive" model,

Debating whether I should put less or more than $200 (total) a month, as this is a long term savings investment, I don't know whether there is a big rush to put in all my money in it on a monthly basis..
If you are with easyweb the minimum purchase is 100$ by fund. You will need at least 400$ if you split it by 25% each.

For the second part maybe read this article :

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2013/05/ ... ging-work/

Here's a sentence responding your question...

Roy, the eponymous hero of The Wealthy Barber, made DCA seem like magic: “Dollar cost averaging is as close to infallible investing as you can get. It genuinely slants the odds in the investor’s favour.” Unfortunately, that’s simply not true. Academics have been studying dollar-cost averaging for more than 30 years, and the results are clear: DCA usually results in lower long-term returns.
Jan 30, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
mathbes wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 6:22 pm
If you are with easyweb the minimum purchase is 100$ by fund. You will need at least 400$ if you split it by 25% each.

For the second part maybe read this article :

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2013/05/ ... ging-work/

Here's a sentence responding your question...

Roy, the eponymous hero of The Wealthy Barber, made DCA seem like magic: “Dollar cost averaging is as close to infallible investing as you can get. It genuinely slants the odds in the investor’s favour.” Unfortunately, that’s simply not true. Academics have been studying dollar-cost averaging for more than 30 years, and the results are clear: DCA usually results in lower long-term returns.
Thank you for clarifying
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5850 posts
313 upvotes
xMayyy wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 5:50 pm

If you do pre-authorized payments, the minimum contribution for each fund goes down from $100 to $25.

I contribute $100 / week to my account, split at $25.00 per fund per weekly contribution. Total contributed is $5200 / year.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1867 posts
343 upvotes
Aurora
pinkfries wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 11:08 am
In terms of opening the account, it's easier (less paperwork) to open the EasyWeb account. And it's also easier to use as it's all in your EW which you are already familiar with. No separate system/login to access.
I opened both accounts, but ended up using my WebBroker account because I wanted to buy securities other than mutual funds (which EW won't let you do). If all you're want to buy is e-series then then there is no difference which account you use to purchase them. You can always open a WB account later on if you want to buy more than just mutual funds.

I never tried owning an identical fund in both EW and WB - I wonder how TD will handle it.
Aug 26, 2014
125 posts
52 upvotes
Markham, ON
mathbes wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 4:51 pm
I have 2 questions about an resp with e-series :
How much time it's take to the governement to add the 20% ?
Is the e-series available for the 10 % from the province of Quebec? (QESI)
thank you
After initial setup and a lump sum contribution, it took about 5 weeks before we received the 20% grants. After that, on a monthly contribution it usually takes about 2 weeks before the 20% shows up. This is for Ontario but I would think it's the same at the federal level.
Sorry, can't answer your QESI question.
May 3, 2005
940 posts
49 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'm curious about something. Let's say you follow the CCP models and have most of your RRSP in the e-series funds, what happens when you reach retirement age? Is it still recommended to stick with the e-series funds (albeit with the %s favouring bonds) or switch them to another more conservative model?