Investing

TD e-Series funds Megathread (Post all your questions here)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 3:52 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3189 posts
1056 upvotes
lobo wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 2:14 pm
I'm curious about something. Let's say you follow the CCP models and have most of your RRSP in the e-series funds, what happens when you reach retirement age? Is it still recommended to stick with the e-series funds (albeit with the %s favouring bonds) or switch them to another more conservative model?
I guess it depends how risk averse you are. I've been in retirement for just over a decade now and the RRSP's are in a mix of 40% bonds (real return and nominal), and 20% allocated to each of Canadian, U.S. and International equity. Using both broad based market index Vanguard ETF's and TD e-Series funds. Any cash going into the account lately, has been going monthly into the TD e-Series, since I'll have to start doing minimum withdrawals from RRIF's in just a few years time. I'm not an expert and other retiree's may have their own preferences, but this is what seems to work fine for us.
Aug 26, 2014
127 posts
52 upvotes
Markham, ON
I am in the process of opening a TFSA account with TD to buy e Series and hoping someone can help confirming the process. I don't have any product with TD at the moment.

I walked into a TD branch last week to open a regular mutual fund account, I filled out a form called "Opening a TD e Series Funds Account" with 13 pages to complete: investor profile, risk tolerance, etc...

The TD rep verified the ID, created the account and I was given a 7 digit account number. She said the form will be sent off to the address printed on front page. So today, I called this number 1-866-222-3456 and the rep on the phone said I must use the " e Series Conversion Form" that is 3 pages long. On the top there is a fill-in-a-blank account number with 8 places (I only have 7 digit account number).

What is the proper process to have it all set up? Your insight is very much appreciated!
Dec 13, 2014
26 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Howdy all,

I've been confused on ACB's for quite some time now. If I am with TD Bank (not Waterhouse) in E-series funds (CPP profile) do I need to track the ACB's my self (for Unregistered ofc)? Through searching, I have seen a lot of posts stating that TD Bank does a good job on calculating it properly, so you don't have to, where others say you still do.
Mar 10, 2010
857 posts
90 upvotes
When I first opened mine up I went in and set up a regular mutual fund account and got my easyweb access card all on the same day. I then filled in the e Series conversion form and mailed it in myself and the account was converted after about 10 days (if I remember correctly). From my reading over the years, any time you go into a branch and ask them to set up the e-series things can go a little squirrely. Good luck.
CCHunter wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 12:27 pm
I am in the process of opening a TFSA account with TD to buy e Series and hoping someone can help confirming the process. I don't have any product with TD at the moment.

I walked into a TD branch last week to open a regular mutual fund account, I filled out a form called "Opening a TD e Series Funds Account" with 13 pages to complete: investor profile, risk tolerance, etc...

The TD rep verified the ID, created the account and I was given a 7 digit account number. She said the form will be sent off to the address printed on front page. So today, I called this number 1-866-222-3456 and the rep on the phone said I must use the " e Series Conversion Form" that is 3 pages long. On the top there is a fill-in-a-blank account number with 8 places (I only have 7 digit account number).

What is the proper process to have it all set up? Your insight is very much appreciated!
Aug 26, 2014
127 posts
52 upvotes
Markham, ON
Clacker wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 7:17 pm
When I first opened mine up I went in and set up a regular mutual fund account and got my easyweb access card all on the same day. I then filled in the e Series conversion form and mailed it in myself and the account was converted after about 10 days (if I remember correctly). From my reading over the years, any time you go into a branch and ask them to set up the e-series things can go a little squirrely. Good luck.
Thank you. I went back to the branch today and submitted the e Series conversion form. The rep will send everything to the HQ tomorrow to set up and convert the account.

They will also create a Web broker connect ID for login as I don't have any product with TD, no access card given. The rep at the branch said by next Friday it should be all done.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
1199 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
I have a question about MER.

When you look at an Index or Mutual fund's %Performance to date, does that take into account the MER% already?

For example
TD Dividend Income Fund (Mutual Fund) (TDB627) has the following information:
https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/fundD ... &site=TDCT

MER = 2.03%
%Performance:
YTD: 2.91%
2016: 17.2%
Inception: 9.13%

Do the above %Performance yields, take into account the MER already? or are you supposed to subtract the %Performance from the fund MER to get the actual Yield of the fund? ie. if you invested $10,000, what would you net ?

I hope this makes sense.

I'm trying to see if the TD e-Series indexes are actually better than the TD Mutual funds. Because the TD Dividend Income Fund seems to beat all the TD e-Series indexes... If that's the case, shouldn't we just buy the TD Dividend Income Fund since it's %Performance outperforms all TD e-Series, even when the MER is higher?
Feb 1, 2012
590 posts
464 upvotes
TORONTO
Published performance results for mutual funds and ETFs are after the MER has been subtracted.

TD Dividend Income has been a good performing fund. Its benchmark is 75% Canadian equities and 25% Canadian bonds, so it's not nearly as diversified as a global indexed portfolio like you could build with eSeries. The Canadian stock market did very well in 2016, which has pulled up the fund's performance. If the TSX does poorly in the future the fund's performance may not be so good. It's easy to find funds that did well in the past. Not so easy to predict future performance.

Do you want a fund that primarily holds Canadian stocks and bonds or would you prefer something that has broader market exposure including US and global? That fund has 2% MER, which is a large handicap when you think that long-term market performance in has been in the 6 to 8% range; it's taking 1/4 to 1/3 of market returns every year. I prefer broader diversification when it is available at reasonable cost.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Dec 1, 2007
545 posts
56 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
Just balancing my new e-series portfolio & disassembling my Aggressive Growth portfolio. If I put through request for switching lump sums to various e series funds and want the last bit transferred to my final e series fund, can I simply click full balance on the last request and expect the trades to go through in the order I submitted them after hours?

Ex:
$660.53 in aggressive growth
I want
$165 in each of the following e series (Cdn Bond, Cdn, US, Int'l)

I put in switch funds request for $165 to each of the first 3 followed by one for full balance to the last one as I don't want a possible change in market value at time of executing switch to cause trade to be denied (ie. $165.53 left over right now but what if it changes to $165.49 or something tomorrow). Can I just pick full balance and expect it to go through with remaining instead of the system doing this 'full balance' trade first, thus causing the first 3 requests to be denied?

TIA,
Bob
Mar 10, 2010
857 posts
90 upvotes
That's exactly how I do it and haven't had a problem yet. I also tend to wait an extra 5 minutes before I put the "full balance" order in just so that it won't be received during the same minute as any of my other transactions.
jello_bob wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 12:34 pm
Just balancing my new e-series portfolio & disassembling my Aggressive Growth portfolio. If I put through request for switching lump sums to various e series funds and want the last bit transferred to my final e series fund, can I simply click full balance on the last request and expect the trades to go through in the order I submitted them after hours?

Ex:
$660.53 in aggressive growth
I want
$165 in each of the following e series (Cdn Bond, Cdn, US, Int'l)

I put in switch funds request for $165 to each of the first 3 followed by one for full balance to the last one as I don't want a possible change in market value at time of executing switch to cause trade to be denied (ie. $165.53 left over right now but what if it changes to $165.49 or something tomorrow). Can I just pick full balance and expect it to go through with remaining instead of the system doing this 'full balance' trade first, thus causing the first 3 requests to be denied?

TIA,
Bob
May 3, 2015
140 posts
37 upvotes
Question for those who use TDDI. Are you able to purchase ETFs through this account? Is there any difference in cost in purchasing ETFs versus these e-series funds? Just trying to figure out why one would purchase the e-series vs etfs if this is possible?

Thanks!
Apr 16, 2009
785 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
MikeZ13 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 12:58 pm
Question for those who use TDDI. Are you able to purchase ETFs through this account? Is there any difference in cost in purchasing ETFs versus these e-series funds? Just trying to figure out why one would purchase the e-series vs etfs if this is possible?

Thanks!
Purchasing e-series on TDDI is free.
Purchasing anything else on TDDI has the $9.99 transaction fee.

https://www.td.com/ca/products-services ... ions-fees/
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3189 posts
1056 upvotes
MikeZ13 wrote:
Just trying to figure out why one would purchase the e-series vs etfs if this is possible?

Thanks!
In the TFSA right now, it's all TD e-Series. All distributions are automatically re-invested.

In the RRSP there's a blend of TD e-Series and index ETF's. All cash from distributions from both sources are mopped up monthly by the TD e-Series, $100+ at a time.

There's no one way or right way of doing this. You just have to figure it out by reading and learning what would work best for yourself.
Feb 1, 2012
590 posts
464 upvotes
TORONTO
MikeZ13 wrote:
eSeries mutual funds have advantages mostly in simplicity. Mutual funds can be purchased in partial units, ETFs are full units only. Mutual funds can be ordered in units or $, and if you order in $, can be bought right down to the penny, so less cash in your account. Because mutual funds are available in partial units, DRIPs can be reinvested right down to the penny whereas with ETFs most brokers use synthetic DRIPs that buy full units and leave the rest in cash. ETFs have reinvested capital gains distributions and return of capital which need to be tracked in non-registered accounts for the correct ACB, mutual funds don't have those because they are available in partial units.

If you want ease of use, mutual funds win. If you want lowest cost and best returns, ETFs win, as long as you buy large enough orders to minimize the impact of trading commissions. You can use both, especially if you want to use eSeries for monthly contributions, then periodically sell the mutual funds and buy ETFs when you get a few $k built up to minimize the impact of trading commissions.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Dec 4, 2012
122 posts
86 upvotes
@bigjee & @Gweedz thank you both for that information.

I ended up opening a EW account and when I have more $$, I will eventually open up a WB account.
Feb 9, 2013
887 posts
139 upvotes
Mississauga
I have TD e-series for RRSP in TD Easyweb. Can I transfer my RRSP account to TDDI? What is the min. to waive maintenance fee? I have about $10,000k in my RRSP.