Investing

TD e-Series funds Megathread (Post all your questions here)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2017 6:13 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4824 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
So I have TD CND Equity Mutual Fund in my TD TFSA. Does anyone know if I use the Switch Mutual Fund option in my TD TFSA in order to switch the proceeds of the TD CDN Equity to buy other TD e-Series Mutual Funds all within my TFSA would result in withdrawing and rebuying in my TFSA ? I'm just unsure on how TD handles the Switch function and don't want to lose that TFSA contribution room until next year.
Nov 23, 2014
99 posts
24 upvotes
icemasta wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 6:13 pm
So I have TD CND Equity Mutual Fund in my TD TFSA. Does anyone know if I use the Switch Mutual Fund option in my TD TFSA in order to switch the proceeds of the TD CDN Equity to buy other TD e-Series Mutual Funds all within my TFSA would result in withdrawing and rebuying in my TFSA ? I'm just unsure on how TD handles the Switch function and don't want to lose that TFSA contribution room until next year.
I can confirm that this is fine and is what I did getting out of my higher MER funds and into E-series when I first switched over. There will not be any impact on your TFSA contribution room by using the switch function.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4824 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
lapsapdeal wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 6:49 pm
I can confirm that this is fine and is what I did getting out of my higher MER funds and into E-series when I first switched over. There will not be any impact on your TFSA contribution room by using the switch function.
Thanks!
Feb 15, 2013
222 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
regarding buying TD e-Series via TD Direct Investing, is there a fee for using webbroker or just DI maintenance fee of $25 per Qtr?
Feb 1, 2012
582 posts
458 upvotes
TORONTO
gskn4u wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 1:36 pm
regarding buying TD e-Series via TD Direct Investing, is there a fee for using webbroker or just DI maintenance fee of $25 per Qtr?
In TDDI there is no fee to buy eSeries mutual funds. No fee to sell eSeries, unless you sell it within 30 days, in which case there is an early redemption fee of up to 2%.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Feb 15, 2013
222 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Deepwater wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 7:26 pm
In TDDI there is no fee to buy eSeries mutual funds. No fee to sell eSeries, unless you sell it within 30 days, in which case there is an early redemption fee of up to 2%.
Are you saying the td webbroker is free? I won't be doing any trading just RRSP and TFSA only.
Feb 1, 2012
582 posts
458 upvotes
TORONTO
gskn4u wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 7:32 pm
Are you saying the td webbroker is free? I won't be doing any trading just RRSP and TFSA only.
Here is a link to the TDDI fee schedule: https://www.td.com/ca/document/PDF/forms/521778.pdf
If in doubt regarding a specific fund, best to call TD and ask, especially for non-TD mutual funds.
Mutual Fundsc
No commissions applyC to buy, sell or switch. A short-term
redemption fee may apply (see details below).
Short-Term Redemption Fee Policy
This policy applies to all mutual funds offered through TD Direct
Investing, except Money Market funds and those purchased on a
Deferred Sales Charge (DSC) or rear load basis. Funds held for less
than 30 days are subject to a short-term redemption fee of 1% of
redemption value or $45 (whichever is greater) in addition to any
fee(s) the mutual fund company itself may charge.
Maintenance FeesD
Household accounts^ with total assets
of $15,000 or greater. No Fee
Household accounts^ with total assets
of less than $15,000. $25/quarter*
The fee will be waived if any one of the following conditions
is met:
ƒ The first account in your household accounts^ has been open
for less than six months
ƒ One or more of the accounts in your household accounts^ are
enrolled in a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP) or Preauthorized
Deposit or Preauthorized Contribution that totals $100/month
or more
ƒ Your household accounts^ completed three or more tradesH in
the preceding quarter which incurred a commission**
ƒ Your household accounts^ include a Registered Disability Savings
Plan (RDSP)
* The Maintenance Fee will be assessed at the end of each calendar
quarter.
** A commission paid trade is defined as a filled equity, exchange
traded fund, or option order for which a commission has been
charged.
^Household accounts are defined as those TD Direct Investing
accounts for clients living in the same household, with the same
address. You must advise TD Direct Investing of these multiple
account relationships.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3164 posts
1044 upvotes
gskn4u wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 1:36 pm
Another option if you don't meet the minimum requirements at TDDI is to just open a TD e-SeriesFunds account where as long as you hold the funds for a minimum of 30 days, then there are no fees.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6448 posts
340 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My gf just opened up her new Mutual Funds accounts: TFSA, RRSP and Non-registered. She wants to link her RBC chequing account to fund these mutual funds accounts once they are converted into e-series. Besides filling out the conversion forms x 3 times and putting her RBC account info there, do we still need to go into a branch to apply for a login easy web card number? She has never been a TD customer. How would she access the 3 mutual funds accounts online once they are converted?

Lastly, is there any way to change the risk profiles on the accounts later on if she wants to? Right now her TFSA and RRSP are in 40% fixed income, 60% growth, and the non-registered in 55% fixed income, 45% growth.

Thanks in advance.
Sep 6, 2013
59 posts
4 upvotes
Is TDDI able to let me sell a fund and buy another within the same day?

Example, sell TDB902, receive cash, buy TDB911 right after.

Or will the cash not appear and will I have to wait til after the settlement date before I can buy TDB911 in the example?

(Another example, using Norbert's Gambit, I can sell DLR.U and immediately buy VTI after. Does this apply to all other ETF's and e series?)
Apr 8, 2017
58 posts
19 upvotes
mky160 wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 10:56 pm
Is TDDI able to let me sell a fund and buy another within the same day?

Example, sell TDB902, receive cash, buy TDB911 right after.

Or will the cash not appear and will I have to wait til after the settlement date before I can buy TDB911 in the example?

(Another example, using Norbert's Gambit, I can sell DLR.U and immediately buy VTI after. Does this apply to all other ETF's and e series?)
You can "switch or transfer" from one fund to another. I forgot which term is used.

So instead of having to sell fund A and wait then buy fund B you can switch a $$ value that you want from fund A to fund B directly
Sep 6, 2013
59 posts
4 upvotes
ShuttleBoy wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 11:04 pm
You can "switch or transfer" from one fund to another. I forgot which term is used.

So instead of having to sell fund A and wait then buy fund B you can switch a $$ value that you want from fund A to fund B directly
Thanks for the reply. I found a transfer button on the TD iOS app. Currently giving me an unknown error ("Something has happened on our end"). I'll give it a try when the markets open. Thanks for the tip!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7915 posts
3725 upvotes
FYI:

*On March 28, 2017, TD Asset Management Inc. (TDAM) closed the series to all purchases. Unitholders as at March 28, 2017 may continue to hold units of the series.

**On March 28, 2017, TDAM closed the series to purchases by new investors. Investors that did not hold units of the series as at March 28, 2017 are not permitted to purchase units of the series. Unitholders as at March 28, 2017 may continue to hold and purchase additional units of the series in the account in which they hold the series.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6448 posts
340 upvotes
Richmond Hill
boyoflondon wrote:
May 4th, 2017 10:17 am
FYI:

*On March 28, 2017, TD Asset Management Inc. (TDAM) closed the series to all purchases. Unitholders as at March 28, 2017 may continue to hold units of the series.

**On March 28, 2017, TDAM closed the series to purchases by new investors. Investors that did not hold units of the series as at March 28, 2017 are not permitted to purchase units of the series. Unitholders as at March 28, 2017 may continue to hold and purchase additional units of the series in the account in which they hold the series.
Wait, what? New investors can't purchase e-series now?

That would suck since I just helped my gf open up her mutual funds accounts with intention to buy the e-series...

Can you link me the page you found this info? I'd like to read more.