Investing

TD e-Series funds Megathread (Post all your questions here)

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2017 11:55 pm
Apr 16, 2009
659 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver
boyoflondon wrote:
May 4th, 2017 10:17 am
FYI:

*On March 28, 2017, TD Asset Management Inc. (TDAM) closed the series to all purchases. Unitholders as at March 28, 2017 may continue to hold units of the series.

**On March 28, 2017, TDAM closed the series to purchases by new investors. Investors that did not hold units of the series as at March 28, 2017 are not permitted to purchase units of the series. Unitholders as at March 28, 2017 may continue to hold and purchase additional units of the series in the account in which they hold the series.
FYI, put in some context next time. This does not apply to e-series. There are asterisks signifying which funds it applies to for a reason. No need to spook people.
Apr 16, 2009
659 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver
Sorry for double post, but wanted to segregate my question.

Curious if anyone here has withdrawn from their RSP e-Series for HBP, and what the process was? I know there's a form on the CRA site for withdrawal under the HBP, but given our accounts are self-managed, how would that work?

Cheers
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6371 posts
318 upvotes
Richmond Hill
philland wrote:
May 4th, 2017 5:41 pm
https://www.td.com/to-our-customers/tdh ... a02c2141d/

"I can confirm that this is correct. If you currently hold TD e-series funds you will be a​ble to continue to hold and purchase additional units in your existing account, however if​ you do not hold e-series funds you will not be able to purchase."
What. Wow so they are closing e-series to new investors to push their new TD managed ETF's? Probably higher MER's?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2008
1440 posts
174 upvotes
Winnipeg
That notification is for financial planners only who are paid a commission from the fund. Because the e series has very low mers they won't be allowed to buy those funds for clients.

I can still purchase e-series MFs through web broker. I just checked. Plus I called TD DI and they confirmed that They are still available for self directed investors.
Apr 22, 2014
323 posts
160 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Stryker wrote:
May 4th, 2017 6:47 pm
As far as I can see the asterisks only apply to Premium & K Series and the Premium F-Series.

https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/fundP ... ds&lang=en

If TD is indeed closing the e-Series to new clients, then why is the "Open a TD e-Series Account" page still up?

https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products- ... s-td-offer
Update to link I posted above:

" I can confirm that e-series funds are not closed to new investo​rs. The 2 excerpts include​d above from the TD Fund facts appear on each fund we offer. Th​ere was an announcement th​at some funds would be closed to new investors as of March 28 w​ould also have (Closed to n​ew Investors with either 1 * or 2 * beside referencing the exc​erpts included above."
Last edited by philland on May 4th, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 1, 2012
570 posts
445 upvotes
TORONTO
Stryker wrote:
May 4th, 2017 6:47 pm
As far as I can see the asterisks only apply to Premium & K Series and the Premium F-Series.

https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/fundP ... ds&lang=en
Correct. If you filter the list at that page to Premium & K Series and the Premium F-Series you will see those funds have (Closed to New Investors**) or (Closed to New Purchases*) beside the fund name.

I remember TD issued a press release on this late last year. RFDers should not be buying those skeezy fund series anyway. :rolleyes:
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/td ... 27945.html
TDAM will also simplify its high net worth (HNW) offering by making changes to the HNW series (Premium Series, Premium F‑Series, K‑Series and PS‑Series) of certain TD Mutual Funds by:

Terminating the series;
Closing the series to all purchases;
Closing the series to purchases by new investors; or
Converting securityholders of a HNW series to another series which will have the exact same fees and features.
Effective end of business today, all terminating HNW series will be closed to purchases and will subsequently be terminated on or about March 28, 2017. All other changes to the HNW series will be implemented on or about March 28, 2017.

This simplified approach to pricing will make it easier to determine the appropriate series of TD Mutual Funds for investors.
I expect we will see more of this as mutual fund companies try to cut their costs, lower their fees, cut out weak funds and promote new ETFs to get more competitive with Vanguard, iShares et al.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3121 posts
1013 upvotes
In case anyone missed it, a few weeks ago Andrew Hallam had a great column on the new ETF's mentioned above that TD is trying to push.

How TD Bank just missed an open goal

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A simple couch-potato ETF would have served the bank better than their new Managed ETF Portfolios

ANDREW HALLAM
Jun 11, 2005
186 posts
12 upvotes
Markham
I recently changed jobs and have around 9k of pension that I want to withdraw and use it to purchase e-series funds. I want to know if the following way is how I should approach this:

1) Open FUNDS account at TD.
2) Have TD fill out the information and forms and send it back to the pension administrator
3) Wait for the money to reach TD
4) Submit form to convert it into e-Series account
5) Start Investing

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3121 posts
1013 upvotes
rocklee389 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:49 am
Hi all, I am new to this and would like to start investing in e-series. Should I follow this? or are there more updated portfolios?
http://canadiancouchpotato.com/wp-conte ... s-2016.pdf
I'm using the same as on the list. No changes that I'm aware of.

rocklee389 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:49 am

If I have 10k, and it says 40% into Canadian Bond Index funds, that means putting $4000 into it?
Yes, and you can put any percentage you want into the bond fund based on your risk profile. If you don't know what that is right now, you'll most certainly find out during the next bear market.
Oct 8, 2012
774 posts
157 upvotes
Vic
DefconZero wrote:
May 4th, 2017 10:44 am
Sorry for double post, but wanted to segregate my question.

Curious if anyone here has withdrawn from their RSP e-Series for HBP, and what the process was? I know there's a form on the CRA site for withdrawal under the HBP, but given our accounts are self-managed, how would that work?

Cheers
Don't think I saw a response so I'll step up. I did this myself last year. Call your local branch to make an appointment to withdraw funds from your RSP for HBP. When you meet with an adviser they should have the necessary paperwork required, which was only a few pages if I remember correctly.

I actually sold off my funds a few days prior to meeting with the adviser and had my money sitting in cash. I think this likely sped up the HBP process as that meant no need to wait longer to settle the sale of any funds.

The money appeared in my checking account roughly 2 business days after my appointment.
Sep 18, 2004
470 posts
57 upvotes
I'm new to e-series and mutual funds.

When we do pay the MER fees? Is it monthly/quarterly? Do the fees come out directly from our chequing accounts?

Also, unlike ETFs, buying e-series doesn't cost us a commission fee. Does it mean we are required to hold onto our e-series holdings for a period of time?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel