Investing

TD e-Series funds Megathread (Post all your questions here)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 3:52 pm
Mar 10, 2010
857 posts
90 upvotes
Hold time is 30 days if you don't want to pay a penalty. You don't pay the MER per se, but the fund takes it's cut and the net returns are yours. Think of it this way, if the fund was going to pay you 5% before fees, TD takes their fees from the fund and you're left with 4.7%, but you never get a bill for it.
Airbum88 wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 1:00 am
I'm new to e-series and mutual funds.

When we do pay the MER fees? Is it monthly/quarterly? Do the fees come out directly from our chequing accounts?

Also, unlike ETFs, buying e-series doesn't cost us a commission fee. Does it mean we are required to hold onto our e-series holdings for a period of time?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2008
1523 posts
201 upvotes
Winnipeg
I recently transferred my series A MFs from RBC as "all in kind" to my webroker rrsp account. I'm looking to convert them to e series very soon.

Does the 30 day holding time apply to me also. The MFs from RBC were purchase months ago.
Feb 1, 2012
590 posts
464 upvotes
TORONTO
bigjee wrote:
May 24th, 2017 8:06 am
I recently transferred my series A MFs from RBC as "all in kind" to my webroker rrsp account. I'm looking to convert them to e series very soon.

Does the 30 day holding time apply to me also. The MFs from RBC were purchase months ago.
TD fund cards for e-Series state the early redemption fee if sold before 30 days.
https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/fundD ... undId=4817

It depends on the rules of each fund, and sometimes on the broker where they are held. So look for the fund spec sheet on the RBC site (assuming they are RBC funds). Then if in doubt, contact your current broker to see if they have any redemption fee. You can't "convert" other funds to e-Series; you have to sell them then buy e-Series. That's probably what you meant.... but if the funds have gone up you will get hit with capital gains tax if they are in non-registered account.

Another thing to watch for is back end load funds, also known as deferred sales charge (DSC). If the other funds were sold to you by an adviser they may have stuck you with DSC funds that will have a charge as a % of assets if sold within 7 years. The fund code should indicate if no-load, front-end load or DSC and the DSC schedule if any, if you look up on the RBC website.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Jul 2, 2009
18 posts
noob question..

When I click buy on a certain fund.. do I buy it at the price that it is currently listed.. or will it be a price after?

for example.. its 11:36pm May 26 right now, TBD911 is at $13.98. If I buy it now, does it get processed at a different price?

Thanks!
Feb 1, 2012
590 posts
464 upvotes
TORONTO
rocklee389 wrote:
May 26th, 2017 11:37 pm
noob question..

When I click buy on a certain fund.. do I buy it at the price that it is currently listed.. or will it be a price after?

for example.. its 11:36pm May 26 right now, TBD911 is at $13.98. If I buy it now, does it get processed at a different price?
Unlike stocks and ETFs, mutual funds are priced once per day, after the market closes. So when you place your order you do not know what price it will be filled at.

TD's trading deadline is 3:00 PM. So if you place your order at or before 3:00 PM on a trading day, you will get that day's closing price, and the order will be filled the morning of the next trading day.

In your example you would get the Friday May 26 closing price, and the order will be filled the morning of Monday May 29.
Jul 2, 2009
18 posts
Thank you,

So it is better to buy closer to 3pm to most likely get the listed price?

Is this the same for the weekends. If i buy at 3pm on Saturday, I get the closing Saturday price?
Feb 1, 2012
590 posts
464 upvotes
TORONTO
rocklee389 wrote:
May 27th, 2017 12:28 pm
So it is better to buy closer to 3pm to most likely get the listed price?
It does not matter. The fund company only determines the unit price once per day after the market closes, If you entered an order at 3:01 PM on Monday (i.e. after the trading deadline) or 2:59 PM Tuesday (i.e. just before the trading deadline) you would get Tuesday's closing price.

If you wait until closer to 3:00 PM you will have a better idea of which way the market is moving, but you won't know the price until after the market closes and the fund company sets the unit price. Basically it adds the value of all holdings as of the end of the trading day and divided by units outstanding to set the price (net asset value per share). This is different than stocks and ETFs where you are trading with other stock holders and your price is known as soon as the order is filled.

Is this the same for the weekends. If i buy at 3pm on Saturday, I get the closing Saturday price?
Trading only occurs business days Monday-Friday. If you enter an order on Saturday or Sunday, or any time after the trading deadline on a Friday, your order would get the closing price on Monday and your order will fill on Tuesday morning.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6470 posts
350 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What is the best way to change my funding account for my TD e-series? Right now I currently have my TD chequing connected to funding the e-series when I choose to but I want to switch it to my BMO chequing account. I'm planning on closing my TD chequing account that's why. Calling them would probably be best?
Apr 16, 2009
785 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
jeffyjaixx wrote:
May 28th, 2017 1:24 am
What is the best way to change my funding account for my TD e-series? Right now I currently have my TD chequing connected to funding the e-series when I choose to but I want to switch it to my BMO chequing account. I'm planning on closing my TD chequing account that's why. Calling them would probably be best?
You have to provide a void cheque with the information, so either going into a branch or filling out this form (https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/mutualfun ... /maint.pdf) and mailing it in.
Apr 16, 2009
785 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
jeffyjaixx wrote:
May 28th, 2017 11:33 am
Thank you!

Hmm, I don't think BMO online banking gives us a void cheque...
Does it give an option to print PAD information? Essentially just a form with all your account information is all they need.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6470 posts
350 upvotes
Richmond Hill
DefconZero wrote:
May 28th, 2017 11:52 am
Does it give an option to print PAD information? Essentially just a form with all your account information is all they need.
Not that I can see. I know TD has one that shows with the direct deposit form.

This is the one BMO has and I can fill it out - https://www.bmo.com/pdf/Direct%20Deposi ... 203361.pdf but not sure if the TD e-series department will accept this.
Jul 2, 2009
18 posts
Right now, I am following this: http://canadiancouchpotato.com/wp-conte ... s-2016.pdf

I am just wondering if those 4 funds are chosen. For example TBD224 is a top performer based on 10 years. Shouldn't I just buy more of the top performers?

Does it have to do with having a balanced portfolio? Just thinking if I can make a portfolio thats balanced but also have better performers
May 13, 2015
51 posts
24 upvotes
Brampton, ON
rocklee389 wrote:
May 29th, 2017 8:47 pm
Right now, I am following this: http://canadiancouchpotato.com/wp-conte ... s-2016.pdf

I am just wondering if those 4 funds are chosen. For example TBD224 is a top performer based on 10 years. Shouldn't I just buy more of the top performers?

Does it have to do with having a balanced portfolio? Just thinking if I can make a portfolio thats balanced but also have better performers
Past performance is never an indicator for future success.
May 18, 2017
24 posts
I want to invest 5k in my kids resp. Which e series mutual funds would you suggest? And how would you split the 5k?