TD EasyWeb Login problem

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2019 1:49 pm
[OP]
May 29, 2017
58 posts
5 upvotes

TD EasyWeb Login problem

Is it just me or if anyone else has problem with EasyWeb login? EasyWeb is not sending out security code by text or phone.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1478 posts
780 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
I have had this happen a few times when using Firefox. In every case if I switch to Chrome or update FF then the problem resolves itself. I imagine it is TD that is updating their site to the latest versions of FF. I do not use the security app.

This is the message I get:
Page Expired
The page you are trying to access is no longer available.
Copyright © 2003-2017. Ping Identity Corporation. All rights reserved.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3382 posts
2282 upvotes
No problem here with old or new Firefox versions.

There's an extra step you can try when a secure web site isn't letting you log in, and clearing cookies for that site doesn't help: clear the outdated authentication credentials for the site that your web browser is storing.

In Firefox, go to your browsing history and search for the web site in question. Usually the https version is the one you want. Right-click on that web site in the history list, and from the pop-up menu select "Forget about this site".
Feb 1, 2018
617 posts
632 upvotes
Montréal
The security code SMS server was down for a while over the holidays. TD claims it's been fixed, but it seems like it's still having problems.

Yet another reason why SMS-based 2-step security is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8998 posts
1137 upvotes
Toronto
I thought only Questrade has these issues!

I use TD but their Think Or Swim platform. That's been okay.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3382 posts
2282 upvotes
seriesofcontradictions wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:12 am
Yet another reason why SMS-based 2-step security is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.
Yes, it's the worst - except for all the others.

Email? To that old address from years ago that I don't have any more? Not helpful!
Mother's maiden name? Oh please, everybody and their dog knows that by now, it's been so over-used.
Favourite sports team? "No, that's not correct." Yes it is! I know what I entered, dumb site!
Phone in? "Our current wait time is estimated at 85 minutes. Please try again later."

HSBC gives clients a little calculator-like physical gadget that generates a security code in response to a challenge from the site. My mom has one - or two, since the first one broke. Every time she needs it, it takes her half an hour to find it, and then another half hour on the phone with HSBC to sort out how to use it.
Feb 1, 2018
617 posts
632 upvotes
Montréal
The best options are to enable 2FA with TOTP so you can use authenticator apps.

The second best option is to keep allowing people to use security questions -- you can create your own answers that nobody else knows, and change them as often as you like. And use a password storage application to keep them secure.

As it stands, with TD forcing SMS-based security with no other option, it means that anytime someone travels outside of Canada and doesn't have access to their Canadian phone number, they're locked out of their online banking.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7463 posts
1155 upvotes
i love the sms thing and been used to it since i got introduced to the process with Singapore banking. Always get the SMS to unlock. Also some services use the Google Authentication, which is also good.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24362 posts
10714 upvotes
Ottawa
I assume once you activate SMS 2FA, you can't turn it off?
I haven't enabled 2FA yet and will hold off as long as possible.
Feb 1, 2018
617 posts
632 upvotes
Montréal
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:56 am

You can't turn it off, and you also have no other way to get into your account once you're locked out. Even if you spend 80 minutes on Skype hold with TD from outside the country (ticking down dollars from your account while you're at it), they'll jsut tell you to add another phone number for when you travel. If you explain that you don't HAVE a phone number when you travel (because you rely on Skype or Whatsapp or WiFi) then they'll tell you sorry, no way to access your bank account until you're back in Canada.

TD is seriously the worst. Do NOT rely on them if you travel.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8139 posts
3865 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:56 am
You won't be able to hold off much longer. It is now mandatory, and after 3 deferrals, you'll be forced to sign up.

Jan 15th, 2019 12:12 pm
Even if you spend 80 minutes on Skype hold with TD from outside the country (ticking down dollars from your account while you're at it),
Calling a 1-800 number via skype is free when you're outside canada/us ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3770 posts
2786 upvotes
Jan 15th, 2019 12:12 pm
You can't turn it off, and you also have no other way to get into your account once you're locked out. Even if you spend 80 minutes on Skype hold with TD from outside the country (ticking down dollars from your account while you're at it), they'll jsut tell you to add another phone number for when you travel. If you explain that you don't HAVE a phone number when you travel (because you rely on Skype or Whatsapp or WiFi) then they'll tell you sorry, no way to access your bank account until you're back in Canada.

TD is seriously the worst. Do NOT rely on them if you travel.
Can't you just use a free texting app?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24362 posts
10714 upvotes
Ottawa
boyoflondon wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:19 pm
You won't be able to hold off much longer. It is now mandatory, and after 3 deferrals, you'll be forced to sign up.
I've deferred it well over that.
Images
  • Screenshot_2019-01-15-22-31-11-580_com.td.png
Oct 25, 2018
16 posts
8 upvotes
Kelowna
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:30 pm
Can't you just use a free texting app?
I ended up using Fongo when I travel. Works fine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)