Hot Deals

[TD First Class Visa Infinite] TD First Class Visa Infinite up to 50,000 points and FYF

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 3:15 pm
Sep 21, 2006
371 posts
108 upvotes
Amherstview
I have a quick question, say I apply today and get approved within two weeks. Receive my card and immediately make an airline booking for December travel ($3000-$3500 for 2 tickets). I am guessing it will take 1-2 billing cycle for them to reward me the 50k points. Once I get the 50k points, will they be able to apply the $200/250 credit against the airline booking transaction I made in September? Or is the 50k points only valid for travel for dates after I received the points?
Jun 10, 2016
44 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga
micron15 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 12:18 pm
I have a quick question, say I apply today and get approved within two weeks. Receive my card and immediately make an airline booking for December travel ($3000-$3500 for 2 tickets). I am guessing it will take 1-2 billing cycle for them to reward me the 50k points. Once I get the 50k points, will they be able to apply the $200/250 credit against the airline booking transaction I made in September? Or is the 50k points only valid for travel for dates after I received the points?
no, this is not like scotia bank amex travel card.
Aug 22, 2012
120 posts
19 upvotes
East Van
EmmEmm wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 12:53 pm
but can't the points be redeemable towards the visa bill?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5325 posts
274 upvotes
TO
EmmEmm wrote:
Correct you can do that and I've done it in the past, you could do travel purchase and redeem against although the% of return is not the greatest.

I only redeemed mine via Expedia forTD for max benefit
Achieva Financial / Tangerine / EQ Bank member

I use Plastiq to pay bills! It's magic ;)
#1 rule of Churning club - KCaDCA
RIP Marriott Visa card :(
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5325 posts
274 upvotes
TO
Oops meant to reply to Micron15
Achieva Financial / Tangerine / EQ Bank member

I use Plastiq to pay bills! It's magic ;)
#1 rule of Churning club - KCaDCA
RIP Marriott Visa card :(
Sep 30, 2012
118 posts
2 upvotes
Vaughan
when they say you shouldnt have opened an account in the last 6 months, what do they mean?
do they mean another one of these same visa infinite credit cards.

the reason i ask is because 3 months ago, i opened a TD Aeroplan Infinite Visa.

Does this mean i wont qualify to get the 50k points or FYF on this one if I apply tomorrow ?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3195 posts
1099 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 12:24 am
First timer here, please be gentle. I've never opened this card before. If I open 2 concurrent cards, do the points all accumulate into one TD Rewards account, or 2 separate ones?

Noo-bee
Alrighty then, in case this can help others, here's my preliminary datapoint.

I have several TD no fee CCs idling in the 'pit-stop', waiting to be taken out for a 'spin'. I just called and spoke to a rep and converted/switched 3 of them to this TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite card. Rep says I'll get FYF on all of them, and the 50,000 after spending $1000 on each one. Rep says once I get all the points I can then combine them all together. I'm not sure of the steps, but he was well-spoken and appeared to have done this for others prior to my call. We'll see, in 3 months time.

FirstGear-Bee
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1159 posts
317 upvotes
Kanada
bizee-bee wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 10:59 pm
Alrighty then, in case this can help others, here's my preliminary datapoint.

I have several TD no fee CCs idling in the 'pit-stop', waiting to be taken out for a 'spin'. I just called and spoke to a rep and converted/switched 3 of them to this TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite card. Rep says I'll get FYF on all of them, and the 50,000 after spending $1000 on each one. Rep says once I get all the points I can then combine them all together. I'm not sure of the steps, but he was well-spoken and appeared to have done this for others prior to my call. We'll see, in 3 months time.

FirstGear-Bee
Brave, I would have been weary of doing the switch of my 2 TD credit card accounts with the same agent, for fear of getting "noticed"
AMEX Special Welcome Bonuses: Gold 25K points - Platinum 60K || Business Gold 40K -- Biz Platinum 75K || SPG 25K
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3195 posts
1099 upvotes
SnoopDop wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 6:35 pm
Brave, I would have been weary of doing the switch of my 2 TD credit card accounts with the same agent, for fear of getting "noticed"
Hey Snoop,

Brave? 'Weary'? :razz: Fear? This is a hobby, no need for those types of words in this game. :D

I actually have 4 TD CCs, all no-fee variety. I've had them parked for over a year, as I refused to switch them to the TD Aero Visa card since I didn't want to pay $1000 to get the bonus 10K Aeroplan points during one of the many various FYF/25K Aero promos in the past 2 years (chose to apply for new cards instead of doing a product switch). But now with the oncoming breakup of Aeroplan and AC, I've decided not to bother collecting Aeroplans anymore until I can be assured I will be able to flush out my Aeroplan account by 2019. It'd be stupid to keep piling on more points if they are just going to be toaster fodder.

Anyways, my original call was to get 2 of my 4 TD no-fee cards converted to the TDFCT. True, I need to spend $1000 to get the additional 30K for the full 50K offer, but at least it's FYF and as per above, I'm no longer holding on and waiting for a FYF for the TD Aero card (which you need if you're going to do the switch game), so figured I'd dip my toes into TD Rewards for the first time ever.

The rep I spoke to was so proficient he converted 2 cards within 5 minutes (10 minutes if you include the 5 mins spent on listening to the T&C recording). I was ready to hang up when he mentioned that he noticed I have 2 other no-fee TD CCs, and HE asked ME (not the other way around) if I wanted to convert them as well. So, as you mentioned, I was indeed a bit 'wary', so I only converted 1 more, to make it a total of 3 TDFCT cards now coming my way. By then I was indeed 'weary' ;) else I might have converted the 4th card as well.

Next up, my wife's also got 4 no-fee TD CCs. The problem is, we don't know if we want to bother spending $1000 on say 6-8 cards. We could just sit on the cards with $1 purchases and collect the base 20K. Whereas each $1000 spending per card is worth 30K more points, which if I'm reading/interpreting correctly, appears to be roughly about $150 nominal value (??).

Gonna put this onto cruise control for now, and then sleep on it, while we decide how many more cards to convert.

Coaster-Bee
Jun 21, 2011
409 posts
263 upvotes
Vancouver
I RFD wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 9:41 am
If you book outside of Expedia for TD, its a $200 bill credit?
If you're redeeming out of Expedia for TD, it will be a $200 credit towards travel expenses (ie. purchases from travel agents or airlines/hotels directly). You can read my post from page 1 regarding the points "nerf".
Jun 21, 2011
409 posts
263 upvotes
Vancouver
micron15 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 12:18 pm
EmmEmm wrote:
From my understanding, you can apply your points towards a "previous purchase" as long as the travel purchase was within the last 90 days I believe? So in this scenario, as long as you receive you bonus points within the 90 days window, you should be able to do so no problem. But based on how the bonus points are given...it may take longer than 90 days for the points to show up on your account.... (will need $1000 spending over 3 months, and then theres processing time for the points)

https://www.tdrewards.com/book_any_way/

"The 90 day window to redeem TD Points begins when your travel purchase transaction is posted to your TD Travel Credit Card Account. For questions on how to use the Book Any Way travel redemption request on tdrewards.com, please call 1-888-315-0603. For questions about a request that has already been submitted or to request redemptions for travel expenses by phone, please contact TD Credit Card Customer Service at 1-800-983-8472."
Jun 21, 2011
409 posts
263 upvotes
Vancouver
bizee-bee wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 8:56 am
Post up a link to the page you're viewing that doesn't show the $1K spend requirement.

I'm more familiar with the TD Aeroplan Visa offers, and with that product there are sometimes better promos when signing up through affiliates (Greedyrates, RewardsCanada, GCR, etc).
A little off topic but.... Greedyrates and RewardsCanada give gift cards for signing up through them? I don't see any offers on either site for sign-up bonuses (for any cards)...
Jun 10, 2016
44 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga
yau1225 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 12:42 am
From my understanding, you can apply your points towards a "previous purchase" as long as the travel purchase was within the last 90 days I believe? So in this scenario, as long as you receive you bonus points within the 90 days window, you should be able to do so no problem. But based on how the bonus points are given...it may take longer than 90 days for the points to show up on your account.... (will need $1000 spending over 3 months, and then theres processing time for the points)

https://www.tdrewards.com/book_any_way/

"The 90 day window to redeem TD Points begins when your travel purchase transaction is posted to your TD Travel Credit Card Account. For questions on how to use the Book Any Way travel redemption request on tdrewards.com, please call 1-888-315-0603. For questions about a request that has already been submitted or to request redemptions for travel expenses by phone, please contact TD Credit Card Customer Service at 1-800-983-8472."
correct, and you will be getting $40 for 10k points.

Scotia bank amex has no 90 day policy.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3195 posts
1099 upvotes
yau1225 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 12:49 am
A little off topic but.... Greedyrates and RewardsCanada give gift cards for signing up through them? I don't see any offers on either site for sign-up bonuses (for any cards)...
I don't know much about GreedyRates, as I've only ever used them for my past 2 TD Aero Visa Infinite cards, since they had the 25K/FYF with NO need to spend $1000 in 3 months (vs directly at TD it would have been either non-FYF and/or requirement to spend $1000). And with RewardsCanada I've only taken Patrick's affiliated offer for the MBNA Best Western MC for 40K with no spending requirement. I don't usually visit their sites as for the most part I find their baits unappealing to my palate, same for most blog sites as they cull in the herd for the referral bonuses.

GCR is my main affiliate for CC signups because of their cash back program, but only if their offers are equivalent or provide some other bonus - I'm over the $1000 tier in GCR cash back payouts, while my wife is just under $600. Overwhelming majority of the cashola is from CC signups, with about $150 from referral payouts due to my wife being referred from me.

Back on topic. If any affiliates are taking on the TDFCT card, see if they offer the FYF and no requirement for the $1000 spending, and make sure you apply using their URL link so that the source code offer is attached to your application. This is how it's worked for the past few years with the TD Aero cards. However, these better promo offerings don't apply if you do a product switch since you will only get the non-affiliated vanilla offer from TD HQ, which often is worse than through their other channels. If your credit profile/strength is not the greatest then just go the product switch way instead.