Hot Deals

[TD First Class Visa Infinite] TD First Class Visa Infinite up to 50,000 points and FYF

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2017 7:58 am
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3457 posts
335 upvotes
Marphyin wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 1:11 pm
Can I transfer the points to Aeroplan?
Thanks.
i think the points can be transferred at 4:1 ratio ...
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
2x koodo $30 plan, 2x koodo $28
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3204 posts
1106 upvotes
theganguly wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:58 pm
This is just doing a credit check. The system threw those questions - and the person read them out to you. That is to verify that it is really you who is using your credit profile to apply.

Nothing to worry about.
Those don't sound like questions to pull your credit file. Neither Equifax nor Transunion know a lick about my ING nor TFSAs, but they do know I used to live at such and such an address from years ago, that's why it's one of the questions I'm often asked when the FI needs to do a HP. But agree, there's nothing to worry about. The person in the other department was probably a TD credit analyst, and he was building up a case with the "long" form to approve the card application, and probably asked if you own a home, cars, RRSPs, other bank's account balances, etc. It's not to dig for info to sell financial products, not in my experience anyways.
May 19, 2017
30 posts
7 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:43 pm
I've kept some for the full 12 months, to keep the travel insurance entact when paying the taxes of an Aeroplan booking (only TD and CIBC Aero cards offer this), but otherwise, the other ones that we've cancelled early have received pro-rated refunds (2015, 2016).
My spouse and I have each TD Aeroplan. I'm planning to do the product switch to this TD First Class like you did, but it will be for myself only. For our next trip, the points will be covered from my aeroplan acccounts and I hope the Aeroplan system will allow to pay taxes and fees on my wife's TD Aeroplan for insurance purpose. Will this work?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3204 posts
1106 upvotes
GBUalways wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:28 pm
My spouse and I have each TD Aeroplan. I'm planning to do the product switch to this TD First Class like you did, but it will be for myself only. For our next trip, the points will be covered from my aeroplan acccounts and I hope the Aeroplan system will allow to pay taxes and fees on my wife's TD Aeroplan for insurance purpose. Will this work?
You will get flight/baggage travel coverage if your wife pays for the Aeroplan taxes with her TD Aero Visa.

But if the Aeroplan number that is tied to her TD Visa is HER own Aeroplan number, then when you book with YOUR Aeroplan points and pay with her card, she won't get the free bag and MLL access, not technically anyways. She can flash the card at the priority check-in counter and at the gate for priority boarding, maybe even get a rep to give the free bag at the check-in as well, but the MLL is definitely automated so unless you get a nice lounge agent, she won't get in.
Last edited by bizee-bee on Sep 13th, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3457 posts
335 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 10:59 pm
Alrighty then, in case this can help others, here's my preliminary datapoint.

I have several TD no fee CCs idling in the 'pit-stop', waiting to be taken out for a 'spin'. I just called and spoke to a rep and converted/switched 3 of them to this TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite card. Rep says I'll get FYF on all of them, and the 50,000 after spending $1000 on each one. Rep says once I get all the points I can then combine them all together. I'm not sure of the steps, but he was well-spoken and appeared to have done this for others prior to my call. We'll see, in 3 months time.

FirstGear-Bee
it seems TD has improved their point system ???
when i had 2 of these card few yrs back, they won't let me "merge" them into 1 ...

hopefully yr experience will be more pleasant than mine ... cuz i m going to switch my TD aeropeso over as well ... but first i need to put $1000 on this 1 first ... (about $500 more to go ...)

i switched my TD cb on sept 7, and already got the first statement with 20k in my point account already ... that's fast ... now waiting for the other 30k pts to show ...
strangely, the AF was nowhere to be found in my first bill statement ... was told be the rep to expect the AF in first statement ... which would be rebated after 2 statements ...
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3457 posts
335 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:16 am
But the 90 day window is only if you want to get statement credits for travel booked non-TD-Expedia, right? And in which case you don't get the better redemption rate?

I'm hoping the TD Expedia booking experience won't become another BMO Rewards PITA experience for me. Is TD Expedia ever going to be higher-priced than main Expedia? And if so, can you call a TD Rewards rep to match the lower pricing while also redeeming the points to offset the travel cost?
a yr ago, i used expedia4td to book a hotel (bw) .... and it was $0.01 more expensive on expedia4td than booking the same on bw website ....
i then did a pm on the expedia4td website ...

expedia4td is sorta similar to the bmo rewards site ... you are their captive customer ....
however, expedia4td sometime run a promo of $100 statement credit thinggy ... so may be worth the trouble ...
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
Sep 3, 2012
170 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
bizee-bee wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:54 pm
Those don't sound like questions to pull your credit file. Neither Equifax nor Transunion know a lick about my ING nor TFSAs, but they do know I used to live at such and such an address from years ago, that's why it's one of the questions I'm often asked when the FI needs to do a HP. But agree, there's nothing to worry about. The person in the other department was probably a TD credit analyst, and he was building up a case with the "long" form to approve the card application, and probably asked if you own a home, cars, RRSPs, other bank's account balances, etc. It's not to dig for info to sell financial products, not in my experience anyways.
Thanks you guys for your input.

I agree with you bizee-bee as he was refering as ING vs Tangerine (how old was that changed and still referring as ING?). Probably when i churned td chequing accounts for tablet and money I was asked who I banked with at that time...

On line i dont have to disclose where my chequing accounts are and itemized my investments. I just enter anual income and other sources of income.

Anyway I have to call again tomorrow for the status.

Moral: I'll continue to churn on line as much as i can.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3204 posts
1106 upvotes
ofertasgo wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:44 pm
Thanks you guys for your input.

I agree with you bizee-bee as he was refering as ING vs Tangerine (how old was that changed and still referring as ING?). Probably when i churned td chequing accounts for tablet and money I was asked who I banked with at that time...

On line i dont have to disclose where my chequing accounts are and itemized my investments. I just enter anual income and other sources of income.

Anyway I have to call again tomorrow for the status.

Moral: I'll continue to churn on line as much as i can.
The online application, and the first-level phone reps, are "short" forms of the CC application, and yes, you just need to input your income and source. That's why I recommend people who get declines to call TD to get a recon. Ask for a true credit analyst if available, but definitely request for them to pull out the "long" form to get that approval pushed through.

Good luck.
May 19, 2017
30 posts
7 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:38 pm
You will get flight/baggage travel coverage if your wife pays for the Aeroplan taxes with her TD Aero Visa.

But if the Aeroplan number that is tied to her TD Visa is HER own Aeroplan number, then when you book with YOUR Aeroplan points and pay with her card, she won't get the free bag and MLL access, not technically anyways. She can flash the card at the priority check-in counter and at the gate for priority boarding, maybe even get a rep to give the free bag at the check-in as well, but the MLL is definitely automated so unless you get a nice lounge agent, she won't get in.
Thanks for tips on free bag and MLL. I completely forgot about the MLL access. We tried to avoid Air Canada due to high taxes and surcharge, but it's always good to know/remember.
Oct 22, 2015
425 posts
77 upvotes
When calling in to switch from TD AP card to this one, do they go through the procedure as if you are applying for a new card?
Eg do they ask for your income, do they check your credit?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
1859 posts
1079 upvotes
wra45mon wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:29 pm
When calling in to switch from TD AP card to this one, do they go through the procedure as if you are applying for a new card?
Eg do they ask for your income, do they check your credit?
I just switched today. They ask if you make 60k individually or 100k household, and you just answer yes or no. They do not do a credit check since its a different procedure from signing up for a new one.
Oct 25, 2007
492 posts
51 upvotes
Mississauga
sigh...I am late in CC game..all these days, I was combining my credit cards with my wife (no separate cards).
I am using this TD first class for the last 10 years and so far it was good for me but lately expediaforTD does not give me the flight deals that are available outside.
Anywasy, I have Aeroplan membership and some how I got accumulated around 40k miles..i am heading states in December for upcoming cruise trip and need another 10k miles to get two tickets (25k/adult I believe).
I was looking for new aero plan credit card (any deal??) with sign up bonus so that I can use towards my next flight booking...
So the question here is...if I transfer my current TDFCI card to TD Aeroplan card to get what ever the current miles...then switch back to TDFCI before the current deal expires (dec 3rd??)
if yes,..then will I loose my current TDFCI points or forced to cash out with some what not attractive conversion?
What would the follow RFDers advise on my situation...
PS: I remember seeing a sticky thread way back regarding the credit card deals and tweeks...can any one paste the link if its still available ?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1027 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
timonwong wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:36 pm
I just switched today. They ask if you make 60k individually or 100k household, and you just answer yes or no. They do not do a credit check since its a different procedure from signing up for a new one.
Same here. Switched today from Aeroplan. Pretty painless and can use the card as of next day (using old Aeroplan CC number).
=============
Heatware
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1027 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
rancid82 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 1:54 pm
I've had this card for a number of years now. Best rewards card for our needs. You can book your travel, stay, rental on whatever website you want. To redeem the points, all you need to do is call in to customer service and ask them to apply the credit for your travels.

Booking on Expedia for TD gets you other perks like 9 points per dollar spent on there. It racks up quick if you travel frequently or have big trips. When you book through the website, it will give you the option to redeem when you pay. It shows up as a credit on your statement. Lets say you book a $1000 trip. You will be charged the full amount. A day or so later, you'll see your redemption amount. So for this example using the $250, the -$250 will show up as a separate transaction.

Also a note on this, the more you redeem, the better the ratio of points to dollar. I can't remember what the threshold is but it should be explained on the travel rewards website. They had changed it up awhile back to encourage the points to be spent in larger quantities.
Do you HAVE TO redeem points when you pay on Expedia for TD? Or can you apply for a credit on the booking afterwords using points? Similar to the "Book Any Way" method. I want to earn my points for my Expedia for TD booking, then apply those back to booking after the points appear in my account.
=============
Heatware
Nov 7, 2005
24 posts
1 upvote
Those of you that switched to this card, did you still get the deal (points and the FYF offer) ? Or is that only if you open a new account/card?

Thread Information

There are currently 11 users viewing this thread. (7 members and 4 guests)

petrpuck, travelmore, pknayak2002, kevlar, tkddad, Kakashi, MaxBajaj